Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my pf9 yesterday. It is slightly used. I know I have read several issues with extraction. I was only able to fire about 20 rounds of PMC through it and about half of those failed to extract. I polished the chamber and did a general F&B on the gun. I'm gonna try again when I get another chance and with different Ammos. It's a SN S1G**. Does this seem like a serious problem to anyone or should I just keep shooting to see if it breaks in any?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Picked up my pf9 yesterday. It is slightly used. I know I have read several issues with extraction. I was only able to fire about 20 rounds of PMC through it and about half of those failed to extract. I polished the chamber and did a general F&B on the gun. I'm gonna try again when I get another chance and with different Ammos. It's a SN S1G**. Does this seem like a serious problem to anyone or should I just keep shooting to see if it breaks in any?
Since you do not know how much the pistol has been fired up till now, I would continue with the breakin as if it were a new firearm. Run a couple hundred rounds through it and see if the extraction issues clear up. Keep using quality ammo for this. PMC Bronze has been a good brand, as are Federal and Remington UMC.

Don't know how much experience you have with ultra-lights like the PF-9, but pay close attention to your shooting techniques, as these little high powers require good form. Keep a firm (a "death grip" is not necessary) and be sure to keep your wrist locked. Take the recoil in the elbow and upper arm and do not let your wrist flex in recoil.

If extraction problems continue even after break in, and your form is good, then I would try a second extractor spring. Give Kel Tec a call, tell them about extraction issues, and have them send you a new extractor and spring kit. You do not need to mention that you are a second owner. Double the extractor spring once you receive the spring from Kel Tec and see if that will clear up any problems. Likely it will, if form and ammo are ruled out as causes.

Jim R

·
Registered
250 Posts
In addition to what PF9Newbie said, I would also check and make sure the extractor screw is tightened down and not loose.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Be aware that if u do decide to try doubling the extractor spring, be sure the "Frankenbolt" goes deep enough into the firing pin chamber to capture the firing pin in the notch, if it is too short you can get a 6/32 at your local hardware store and cut it to length. Otherwise them firing pins are hard to find in the grass :D

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Picked up my pf9 yesterday. It is slightly used. I know I have read several issues with extraction. I was only able to fire about 20 rounds of PMC through it and about half of those failed to extract. I polished the chamber and did a general F&B on the gun. I'm gonna try again when I get another chance and with different Ammos.
Polishing the chamber and trying several brands of good quality, brass cased ammo are good approaches. Call KT and order a new extractor and screw as well. If you still have issues after polishing the chamber and trying different ammo, change the extractor and see what happens.

·
Registered
112 Posts
All good advice. But my experience (ordeal?) went like: New PF-9 still FTE after 200 rounds; installed new extractor and spring, still FTE after 200 rounds; sent back to KT, still FTE after 200 rounds; double spring and shaved extractor, good for 150 rounds then the slide cracks. New slide from KT and firearm has been 100% for around 250 rounds. Looks like it's finally GTG, and I feel very confident carrying it every day. Plus it's a blast to shoot.

Here's my point. If I'd shaved the extractor and doubled the spring when the FTE first showed up after about 50 rounds, I would have saved a lot of ammo and money establishing reliability. So get the (free) parts from KT tomorrow and install them. If you're getting FTE with half your rounds, I doubt things will improve much after another 200 rounds.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Your experience not withstanding, very often, simply changing ammo is effective in curing FTE. Changing the extractor is also frequently a fix. Yes, I have seen a couple folks that have achieved success by tuning the extractor and some by doubling the extractor spring. However, over the 6 year life of the gun, those have not been the most common fixes. Although it is possible, no one can assume that any other gun needs the same fix as yours. It is sensible to start simple and move toward the more complex. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
TxCajun, I'm a noob here and am always eager to learn. W/O you and the other KT veterans on this site, I would never have been able to fix my PF-9. So over the 6 year life of the gun you mention, which have been the most common fixes?

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I guess I misunderstood your post. I thought you were saying that you have had a PF-9 for 6 years and that whatever problems it had were fixed using methods other than modifying the extractor or spring.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have taken over 100 different pf9's totally apart and I have found the extractor springs vary in the amount of bend all the time. Before you double up springs or even replace take your old spring off and add a slight bend to it to increase the amount of pressure. In my own gun this stopped the FTE issue 100%. I used to get 1 or 2 FTE in 50 rounds using range stuff, never in my defense ammo. Now I get 1 in 200 rounds fired and those are usually after 50+ fired with a very dirty pistol. On a new from factory gun everyone should remove the extractor spring screw and add a drop of blue loctite. Most of the time this screw is very easy to back out on a factory fresh gun so they don't come all that tight and whatever the factory uses to lock them is not all that strong. Every gun leaves our shop ready to shoot, in the case of a KT pistol the gun has been cleaned, coated if not chrome, firing pin channel checked and cleaned, screw put back with loctite, feed ramps polished, and all parts greased and or oiled. It has kept the returns and people calling with issues to under .5% KT makes an excellent product and we sell more of them than all the other small SD pistols combined.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
reboot, got some new spring screws. that stuff is tan, just a drop of it! I asked tim @kt, he said they use blue loctite but that ain't blue loctite on those brand new screws. Gonna have to ask him again. Loctite even makes a pre-cleaner before you drop the blue loctite on screw.
What's spring relation you think from pf9 to 380? Anyone ever put 2 springs on 380?

·
Registered
718 Posts
PF9 and p3at extractor springs are the same. Yeah the stuff on the screws from the factory is tan but the blue loctite does not stay blue. It looks lighter in color after it sets and comes back out.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
reboot, my extraction has been 99% lately,,,I am tempted to try 2 spring on kt380 but what do I know?,, even if that would work for some people. Could you ever have spring to tite? A member had wrote one time that his gunsmith had told him his spring was to tight. I just sent "paired packs "of all small metal pieces to plating shop so I want run out in the future then I'll drop some blue loctite on screw to see of it changes color.

"leave a lamp on" mark4:21

1 - 16 of 16 Posts