Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll, just picked up a PF-9 today. I bought a p3at about 6 weeks ago when I originally went looking for a pocket 9. They didn't have a PF-9 and I really fell for the size and weight of the P3at but i just didn't like it ( too small for my meathooks ) so i traded it off for the PF-9 today. I have read mixed reviews on these pistols online but I am all too familiar with people's opinions of guns they have never shot or owned. I also own a Hi-Point C-9 that runs flawless so there ya go.

Anyway I was just curious what would you recommend I do before shooting it other than a good cleaning/oiling? The P3at was the first KT I owned so just looking for some guidance here. Thanks

·
Banned
319 Posts
ammo wise, mine shoots federal 115 grain and remington umc jacketed hollow points both available at wally worldits all ive used and no issues and 400-500 rounds in. Also recommend the hogue jr for a grip its helped me a ton.

·
Administrator
31,987 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hey ya'll, just picked up a PF-9 today. I bought a p3at about 6 weeks ago when I originally went looking for a pocket 9. They didn't have a PF-9 and I really fell for the size and weight of the P3at but i just didn't like it ( too small for my meathooks ) so i traded it off for the PF-9 today. I have read mixed reviews on these pistols online but I am all too familiar with people's opinions of guns they have never shot or owned. I also own a Hi-Point C-9 that runs flawless so there ya go.

Anyway I was just curious what would you recommend I do before shooting it other than a good cleaning/oiling? The P3at was the first KT I owned so just looking for some guidance here. Thanks
Welcome, fellow Hi Point owner. check your "frankenbolt" make sure it is snug and take a hex wrench that will fit it with you. From time to time check and make sure it does not back out as this could cause some extraction issues.

I would check the feed ramp for any burs when you clean it before shooting.

a light grease on the rails, and a drop of oil here and there, Goldenlokki is the name of a web sight that has a layout on what and where to lube, it is a very good sight

I go back and forth with the hogue jr grip, It does help at the range, but it ads to the size and makes it a little more difficult to draw from my pocket (my method of carry)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
As noted, thoroughly clean and then lube your PF-9 as step one. Be sure to use a good quality gun grease on the vital points like the rails. hammer interface surface and around the front of the barrel (oil just does not have the lasting lube quality needed for multiple rounds).

Use good quality brass cased ammo-full metal jacket) for the first couple hundred rounds to break the gun in. Federal, Remington/UMC, and PMC Bronze have proven good choices for most. Stay from the bulk cheap ammo like Winchester White Box, and don't try to use steel or aluminum cased ammo.

For the break in period, I would not disturb the extractor screw or use loctite at this point (it might be necessary to loosen or remove the bolt later for cleaning the firing pin channel, etc). Just be sure to take the allen wrench for the screw to the range with you, and check the screw every couple of mags to ensure it is still tight, although don't try to overtigthen it. Just snugged down well. Rember, that in the PF-9, the extractor screw also acts as the firing pin retainer, so should you loosen or remove, you must be sure the firing is properly lined up before tightening the screw again (there is a mill out spot on the firing pin where the tip of the extractor screw "rides" to hold the pin. If the pin contacts the firing pin some other spot, the pin will not be free to move, and you could break the pin.

Later on, after break in, and if extraction is ok, then you can back out the screw a bit and place a little bit of blue loctite on the threads near the head of the screw and retighten it. That will hold it firmly in place, but allow for removal later if ever necessary.

Good luck with your first range trip with the PF-9 and enjoy it. It will bark, and perhaps bite a bit, but it is a fine little pistol. Does take a little getting used to, and needs a good firm (not death) grip, and a good, locked wrist (do not let wrist flex in recoil) technique, but an excellent CCW pistol once learned.

Jim R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts