Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled the trigger and bought the little guy. I put 65 rounds of American Eagle through it yesterday. I had several FTF and one stove pipe. Not sure if it the ammo, the gun or me. Do you guys have any suggestions. I had to quit as the base of my thumb was pretty beat up.
I carried it today anyway as something is better than nothing and my j frame prints to much. I used the soft case that came with as a holster and just slipped it in my back pocket. I know it is not quick on the draw by it doesn't print and for me that is the primary concern. As I absolutely can not be made or I will be looking for a new job.I have a Mika's on order and will get a 2 in 1 from KD's at a later date.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey,
I had the same problem when I first got my new p3.
Some friends here in the forum suggested I check the tightness of the extractor screw. I did. Mine was loose. I turned it two turns before it tightened up. Since that, I have had no FTE's.
Give it a look see.
Bob

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Sanding the back of the grip super-smooth will help your hand. A well-made tube grip that covers this area will also help.

You may be limp wristing and this will tell if you are:

The P3AT recoil isn't bad once you get used to it--or if you are already used to shooting ultra light .357 snubbies. The grip may bite your hand, but a little sanding and a tube or hogue grip will cure that.

There WAS once a problem with dull extractors. After removing the slide, look up at the extractor tip. It should be VERY sharp and pointy. If it is dull, then you need to call KT service at 1-800-515-9983 and request the new sharp extractor.

Limp wristing tips:

It is nearly impossible to limp wrist this gun from a very firm, push-pull grip:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

Single hand grip:

1. Line up on target.
2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you are using one of these grips, and you get malfunctions, it is NOT limp wristing, but the gun that is causing them.

Packer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
fsufanaz said:
I finally pulled the trigger and bought the little guy. I put 65 rounds of American Eagle through it yesterday. I had several FTF and one stove pipe. Not sure if it the ammo, the gun or me. Do you guys have any suggestions. I had to quit as the base of my thumb was pretty beat up.
I carried it today anyway as something is better than nothing and my j frame prints to much. I used the soft case that came with as a holster and just slipped it in my back pocket. I know it is not quick on the draw by it doesn't print and for me that is the primary concern. As I absolutely can not be made or I will be looking for a new job.I have a Mika's on order and will get a 2 in 1 from KD's at a later date.
I use my workout gloves: paded palm and fingers are cut out - no soreness!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The stovepipe is likely due to limpwristing. That is one cause, as well as underpowered ammo (not likely in your case), too strong/stiff/new recoil springs, and lack of lube / residue build-up that causes excessive friction.

Limpwristing can happen when your hand gets tired from the recoil. Usually happens later in a range session.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I stripped the gun today and cleaned it real good. I will try and get by this weekend to give it some more range time. I will try WWB ammo as it seems to get the best results. I will try to work on the limp wristing but I am not sure if it is the problem. The failure to feeds are usually the first round or second round in the magazine. I will also check the extractor for tightness.

Ed

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
fsufanaz said:
I stripped the gun  today and cleaned it real good. I will try and get by this weekend to give it some more range time. I will try WWB ammo as it seems to get the best results. I will try to work on the limp wristing but I am not sure if it is the problem. The failure to feeds are usually the first round or second round in the magazine. I will also check the extractor for tightness.

Ed
Also check and make sure that you have the new SHARP tipped extractor.

Packer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.