new p3at

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by john1, Dec 25, 2008.

1. john1

john1 New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Mornin' all, picked up my concealed carry last Fri. and new keltec p3at Tues. Have only fired a dozen rds. and it seems to work fine, but it does have a bite! I know it isn't really a range gun and I didn't buy it for that but I would like to fire it a bit more. What do any of you do to help with that? Handall maybe? How about a piece of foam under the Handall? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, John

2. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG, John1

Its always an option to put a slide on grip on the pistol, I have a Handal Jr on my PF9 and some bicycle inter tube on the P3at. That seems to help my comfort level a little. How ever, it is up to the individual shooter, in my opinion, if you just go to the range a few more times, you will probably find out the P3at isn't as hard on your hand as you thought.

Good luck
    CK

3. NAS_T_MAG

NAS_T_MAG New Member

Mar 5, 2008
    This set-up helps. Good luck.
    [​IMG]

4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008
    You take anything, and there is a bell curve. Most adult males are 200 lbs., alot are 180 and 220, a few are 120 and 400, one or two are 87 and 870. (note, I just pulled those numbers out of the air). The p3at is way out on the end of the bell curve. Everything is oriented to size and wieght. A nice double stack 14 round mag with auto slide lock and a 5 inch barrel would be nice, but it would not be a p3. I have a suspicion that a lot of the FTF's in the first 50 rounds are opperator errors. They are tought to hold on to. As you get to know the gun and either love it for what it is, or hate it for what it is not, I think the problem will go away. I would not add a larger grip to keep pocket size down, but that is just me. I am thinking of a finger extention on the mag. I would recommend a few more rounds before you start changeing things. YMMV. Oh, and welcome to the board. Do a search on "how to grip" and you can find some good threads. I cock (ha) my middle and ring finger up towards my thumb and really give it a death grip and that helps alot. have fun, be safe, let us know what you find. Lop

5. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have found the +1 mag extension helps me grip it better. My P3AT has never bit me though.

Craig

6. wd40

wd40 Member

May 2, 2007
    +1

But mine has never bit me either and I don't have any add on grips

Now, my PA 63 will bring a tear to your eye and not get fired again for the rest of the day!

7. Drivebytrucker

Drivebytrucker New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I agree with the mag extension. First trip to the range shot 90 rounds and hand was starting to irritate me. I added a mag extention and put 100 rounds thru it on the 2nd trip. THe bite was gone, and the gun was just more accurate and had more control. I got the KT extension and used a hacksaw to cut off the bottom 1/8" where the extension has the outward radius. The +1 round extension might be best.
    Stay safe..

8. john1

john1 New Member

Dec 25, 2008
    Thanks all, I do have the extension but it still has a kick to it. Ordered the pads from ktaddons, thanks artimus_prime. Will try that as soon as they get here.