New P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jboze, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jboze

jboze New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    Hello, I joined this forum years ago when I was researching the P3AT. I did end up buying a FG and never got around to shooting it much. Today I bought a SG from a friend for a very low price. He sold it cheap because it will not accept the magazine. I suspect a bad magazine or mag catch. My magazine from my FG does stay in it though and the new magazine stays in my FG. Obviously, I want to get out and shoot this new one and make sure all is OK. Even if it works with my other mag, I think I would like to replace the mag catch to make sure it isn't a problem. I will probably end up keeping only one of these.

My FG has some problems with smileys and the slide closing all the way on the round. I'll look through the forum and find out what I need to try. I want to make sure it is right before I sell it.

Just wanted to Hi again and looking forward to all the great info on this site.

Justin

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Get that SG working reliably and you'll have the FG for practice and the SG for carry.

Bill K.

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi JBoze,

Welcome back to the Kel-Tec P3AT BB. :)  I like the 1st generation P3AT for carry better than the 2nd generation.  You might give the 1st generation a chance since it is smaller, and for me faster to draw.  You are probably right that the magazine catch is the root cause of the problems with the magazine.   I hope your pistols give you many hours of enjoyable shooting.

Best Wishes:

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    My best guess is that the mag catch is a little worn. Replacing it should solve your problem. Is there a difference between the FG and SG mags?

5. Picatinny_Pete

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

The 1st and 2nd generation P3AT magazines are interchangeable. My guess is that he's running into some max tolerance issues with the catch and magazines were if everything is at its extreme tolerance you can run into problems. Switching out the mag catch should solve the problem.

Best Regards: :)

6. jboze

jboze New Member

Jan 15, 2005
    I thought I read that there is a metal magazine catch. Are they any better and where can I get two of them?

I did a good cleaning and lube on both of them lastnight, and I hope to shoot them sometime this week. I don't think my new one has even had a box through it.

7. Picatinny_Pete

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

Since you don't have 25 posts to get on the Trading post, PM DaveNC .  Dave makes the aftermarket metal mag catches for the P-32 for $40, he'll send you his e-mail address.  The metal mag catches have a good reputation.  I hope the info helps.

Best Regards: :)