New P3AT!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by cameronthered, Apr 16, 2011.

1. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Hey guys and gals! I'm new to the forum as well as a new Keltec owner. I got it home, stripped and cleaned it, then took it out to put some rounds of FMJ and HP's. It seems to shoot low, really low. I was shooting 4 to 5 inches low everytime. Will this take care of itself after it's broken in? I'm thinking it might also be the sights as I am used to either 3 dot sights or a large notch like on my GP100. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    From what distance are you shooting? These are mostly up close and personal weapons. I generally shoot from 7 yards with SD pistols.

You may find some help here: http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/accuracy.htm

3. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    I was shooting from the 5- 7 yard range and it seemed that the groups were much better and to point of aim with the hydra shoks I was using. I was using American Eagle FMJ and these seemed to be alot lower. Is this a common thing with American Eagle? I'm going to go get some more ammunition later today and I'm hoping I can get a little variety to put through my P3AT. I read the link (thanks!) and I was going a couple things wrong it looks like. I was using the old "pumpkin on a post" hold and I was slowly pulling back on the trigger. I'll try to modify my trigger pull and sight alignment when I get a chance to shoot. Thanks again.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    This is a small, ultralight weapon with fairly rudimentary sights, a very short "sight" radius, and a fairly long, 5 pound double action trigger that serves as the safety.  It is likely a far cry from anything you've shot much, if at all.  These little pocket rockets take some practice and there is some variance in how well certain rounds shoot to POA.  I'd say you're off to a great start.   :cool:  

5. Profirefighter

Profirefighter New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Hanceville, Alabama
    It took me a while to get to where I could shoot mine well. Now the little thing seems to be an extension of my arm.

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome to KTOG!

Say, you guys actually try to use the P3AT sights? :)

Joking aside, most of my P3AT practice is one handed point and shoot. Nothing wrong with a foundation of sighted shooting with the P3AT but it is not likely, in my opinion, what you'll be doing if you have to use your P3AT.

Bill K.

7. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome guys! I won't be able to shoot till next weekend but I'm going to try some point and shoot type drills. I think that my groups (if you can call them that) were better with the hydrashoks because I had already put 50 rounds of FMJ through it. I think the more I shoot the more accurate it's going to get. I have to say I love carrying this thing. It looks like a wallet or a smartphone in my front pocket with the Blackhawk! pocket holster. This is my first true CCW and I definately feel more secure when out and about. Thanks again.

8. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Are you saying the P3AT has sights? How come no one told me that? Why have you guys been withholding information from the rest of us? :)

9. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Sorry guys I forgot my username and password so I was MIA for a while. Thanks for all the help. I've been shooting it a couple times a month for the past couple and I can't really see that I'm making any headway with it. My p3at is utterly reliable but I just can't seem to get for good results accuracy wise. I just ordered (2 days ago) a Handall Jr. grip sleeve and a +1 base plate and I'm hoping this will help me get a better purchase on the gun and ultimately better accuracy. I really love this gun for the size and weight for CCW but I'm not real sure I want to carry because I can't hit anything with it.

10. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    5" low on a COM shot at 7 yards shouldn't be a big concern IMO ,you are still in vital areas . . .
    Have you shot it from a bench to see if it is the gun or you ? The long trigger pull will make one tend to drop shots . . .

11. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    No, I have'nt used a bench but I'm going to put together a little rest on wednesday or thursday when I shoot. I'm anxious to see how it performs with a bench because by next week the grip sleeve and mag extension should be here and then I can try it again (bench shooting) with the new stuff. I've heard that it takes 300 rounds to really get it dialed in. Is this true?

12. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    have you let someone else shot it to see if its the gun?

13. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Today I got my +1 mag extension and Handall Jr. I think the grip sleeve is nice and fits well after flipping it upside down and cutting to fit. The extension I'm not so pumped on. It has trouble seating all the way until the click and sometimes the black metal "tang" that sticks out of the back of the magazine gets caught occasionally when trying to put a mag in. I'm not also not impressed that the plastic extension part has slid off twice while trying to get a mag to seat properly. Does anybody else have this problem or did I screw something up?

14. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks alot for the link! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I might have to bevel out the hammer spring catch a little but no big deal. Thanks again.

15. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    I hope you never have to fire at a real life BG, but if you do it's very UN-likely that you will be using your Keltec's so-called "sights". When I first began test firing my new Keltec I soon realized that it was not designed to be a "fun gun" for cutting 2" groups at my 60 foot backyard shooting range. It's designed and intended for up close use as a self defense tool, and it's level of accuracy is adequate for that purpose but not for target shooting. I fire a few 6 round magazines of my carry ammo every couple of weeks, partly for practice but mainly to make sure it functions reliably. If I can draw and fire the little gun from my pocket within a couple of seconds or less at 7 yards from the target and hit a man size silhouette anywhere in the black kill zone using the instinctive "point and shoot" methodology that many self defense instructors teach, I feel reasonably confident that I can use it effectively for the purpose I bought it for, namely stopping an attacker before he stops me.

Then I usually take out a 1911 .45 or a S&W .38, sit down behind the bench and sandbags, and have some fun cutting, or at least trying to cut, 25 or so of those 2" groups that the Keltec with it's minuscule sights won't even come close to doing.

16. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Yeah I've practiced just drawing (from a pocket holster) and pointing and shooting without using the sights at 5 and 7 yards and I'm able to keep them all COM so I think that should do in the event something does go horribly wrong. Thanks axeman.

17. majorxx

majorxx New Member

I have experienced the low shooting example with stock fixed sights on several guns. It is a simple fix to file down the front sight to adjust the sight picture to your preference. If the gun were to shoot high the fix is not so simple. But before you think the sights are off, consider this, the sight radius of a P-3AT is 3.8 inches. When shooting at 7 yards the 3 inch error on the target can be the result of the front sight being off by just 50 thousands of an inch. Perhaps you may be pulling the gun down just a little when stroking the trigger and trying not to do the famous limp wrist.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  18. The Only Sarge

The Only Sarge New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    With a micro pistol...try and shoot it with your middle finger for a few rounds. Lay your pointing finger along the top side and point at the point of impact you are trying to acquire and use your middle finger to work the trigger. It will feel weird at first but I bet you will get used to it quick and be happy with the results. This method also cuts down on limp wristing....people are more aware of their arm angle etc.

19. The Only Sarge

The Only Sarge New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    Oh....don't blow the end of your finger off.