Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'm pretty new to the the site. I've been reading it for a little while and finally broke down about a month ago and got a P3AT. I have managed to get it to the range only a few times, but I like it so far.

OK, now the reason for the post. When I first got it home, I stripped it down and cleaned it etc. and noticed a few dark spots in the barrel. While cleaning it after my trip to the range just the other day the spots really bugged me so I got the magnifyer out and was VERY disappointed to see several voids (OK pits) in the barrel. Looks like air pockets in the metal or something.

Anyone else seen this in a brand new barrel? Is this something the folks at KT will replace? I've only got a wopping 65 rounds through this thing.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
These are not always great barrels, that's for sure. I have seen and heard of worse ones. Typically, they do not affect function and this is certainly no match-grade gun. Having said that, they will replace it should you desire. :-/

·
Registered
437 Posts
My 380 had a pitted barrel before I ever shot it. Took it to Kel-Tec (only 30 minutes away) and they replaced the barrel, polished the feed ramp, and test fired it with CorBon. Great service!

New purchase: Even though I had my "heart set" on a .223 Bushmaster, I just purchased a SU-16C. Why... because of Kel-Tec's excellent customer service! :)

Boggs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Brand New Sub 2000 with pitted barrel

Dear Fellow Members-Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this issue. Received my Sub 2000 on 8/29/14 and after running a plastic 9mm bore brush through it with Hoppes solvent, I noticed rust pitting on and between the lands, from the breech to the crown! Have already e-mailed Kel Tec about this-Gearhead222

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just got back from the range with my"very" pitted p3. Still busting clay birds @ 7yds. Your poor triggerfinger is gunna cause more misses than just about any amount of pitting in the barrel. Used to have an old surplus mauser 98k with a pretty badly pitted barrel. Could shot 3" groups with it @100yds all day using the iron sights. However, having said all that, being it's a new gun, youbetcha i'd send it back!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just realized after scouring the Internet..

that the pitting onmy Sub 2000 is from Kel Tec not plugging the barrels prior to Parkerizing or blueing! After around 100 rounds, the barrel is much cleaner:)-Gearhead222

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.