Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was deciding between a Charter Arms 38(undercover) or the Kel-Tec 380. Well I bought the KT. The main reason I bought it is because of this forum and info on it. I have a Taurus 9mm, darn good pistol but info for them sucks.

Let me tell you what things I looked for when I disassembled my second generation "j" series... thanks to this forum.

1. has a metal guide pin.

2. Check the fed ramp to see if it will cause smileys.(looks like the fix that problem. I'll make sure after I shoot it.)

Things I did to pistol was:
1. Polished the barrel and fed ramp

2. Sanded the trigger with 600 grip sandpaper.(my trigger had rough edges on it that trouble on my finger).

3. Clean and Fresh oil

If theres anything else I should check or do...let me know.
Hopefully I will get a day off to practice with it.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
KingArthur said:
I'm going to Wal-Mart and see what grease they have.

But one thing... does the grease get gummy or dry if it stays there to long?
Wheel bearing grease is fine. Slick 50 makes a good one that is available at W-Mart. A small amount of grease is recommended on the slide rails, hammer interface, barrel lugs and assembly pin.

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Welcome, King Arthur, to the ranks of many happy Kel Tec P3AT owners, of which I am one.
From the box, to many trips to the range, no problems. Just shoot, clean and lube.
I am sure you will have tons of shooting enjoyment from you new family member. ;D

G

·
king arthur. now just shoot it like u stole it.  There are some excellent teflon grease out there for handguns,  we are not greasing a car here now, so just a tad bit will do the job. I personally like alittle grease on the rails and the interface/face of the hammer but some just go with the oil and some love the remington teflon spray which drys to a smooth texture.  Whatever floats ur boat and works best for u is what you want to stay with. Shoot good ammo fmj to start out with as it is the lowest price to break the  weapon in with, then go to corbon dpx for your protective round, test it for reliability, not cheap ammo but neither is life..

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
clean, lube, shoot, repeat

use cheap fmj for break in and reliability

then 2 boxes of carry ammo (I like DPX, many others will work .. you are likely to get as many opinions as people if you ask what is best)

shoot one box of carry ammo, if it works ok, load up the second box and start carrying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.