new p3at range report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Agent-Adam, May 29, 2010.

1. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my parkerized P3AT that i got for $290 OTD.

I loaded the mags and used a shell to hold the slide back for a few days to pretension the springs. I started off with a box  25 Rem Golden Sabers,higher powered SD rounds, to work things in. Not my favorite but they performed admirably. I then fired 100 rounds of blazer aluminum flawlessly except for two smiley faces on the last mag when i was intentionally limp wristing with only my weak hand.  They cleared easily with a tap,rack,bang. I think i tried to re strike the one that is set back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have since ran a box of Winchester SXT Supreme (no talons) with no problems and am loaded with this until i can find the real deal Ranger-T. I read that Gold-Dots work well too.I am impressed with its reliability with many types of rounds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I think you got a decent deal on that P3AT that works well with many types of ammo. :) You might find this interesting, the Winchester SXT is the civilian version of the Ranger-T LEO ammo basically the same bullet.  The SXT and Ranger -T bullets are both non-bonded designs and will occasionally shed a jacket.  The PDX series of rounds is the latest and greatest iteration of the talon designs and has awesome performance since the jacket is bonded to the core.  I tested 9MM, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP PDX rounds and the results were stunning.  I just picked up a box of 380 Auto PDX's today and intend to test them too. ;)  I hope the info was useful.

Best Regards

3. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    Everyone else wanted 319.99 plus tax.

There is a Winchester Ranger- Bonded,also talon less. I don't know if its made in .380 though.  

I didn't know the supremes where talon less when i bought them. Bonded would help. These probably open up to fast with little penetration in these short barrels.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE INTEREST OF SAFTEY!

NEVER USE A LIVE ROUND AS A TOOL WHEN WORKING ON OR TINKERING WITH YOUR GUN!

[​IMG]

I say this because we get a lot of gun newbies on this site.  They see something like this, mimic that behavior and could end up with a disastrous consequence.  Sure, it may be unlikely that the gun will slip, drop or otherwise somehow detonate that primer but why take the chance?

1.  There are 1,000,001 inert household items that would have accomplished the same thing (locking back the slide).
    2.  When working on a gun, routine gun safety dictates that you do not have live ammo in or around the gun.
    3.  If you need to cycle ammo through the weapon it is best to use snap caps.
    4.  That unsafe practice actually accomplished little or nothing in the first place.  Holding the recoil springs back does not really wear them.  Cycling the spring back and forth is what will lessen it's strength/tension, either racking the slide or better yet shooting it.  

Nice pistol. Be safe!   :cool:

[reason]typo[/reason]

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    +1 - Rack 200 times with nothing in there = saving ammo for breaking in the slide and all related parts.

6. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    Hi,

I think you got a decent deal on that P3AT that works well with many types of ammo. :) You might find this interesting, the Winchester SXT is the civilian version of the Ranger-T LEO ammo basically the same bullet.  The SXT and Ranger -T bullets are both non-bonded designs and will occasionally shed a jacket.  The PDX series of rounds is the latest and greatest iteration of the talon designs and has awesome performance since the jacket is bonded to the core.  I tested 9MM, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP PDX rounds and the results were stunning.  I just picked up a box of 380 Auto PDX's today and intend to test them too. ;)  I hope the info was useful.

Best Regards
    [/quote]

I had already sourced some Win Ranger T in .380 but took your advice and got some of the new bonded SXT Supreme ELITE/DPX-1 in 130gr 38. special p+. I was assuming they where talon less as the Winchester Ranger-Bonded series are.  Luckily they have the true Talon design with 6 pedals instead of 8 like the old SXT Supreme non-Elite,a shallower core,and the talons! Can't wait to see how these perform being bonded also. I wanted a true black talon/ranger-t design in .38 special but not that funky 115gr +p+ they offer in ranger-t . That would be hellacious in an air-weight.

7. CDW4ME

CDW4ME New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    USA
    I've never wanted to weaken my recoil springs :eek:

Glad you like the pistol.

Thought I would share some chrono results from my P3AT
    Gold Dot 90 gr. @ 841 fps / 141# KE
    Golden Saber 102 gr. @ 775 fps / 136# KE
    Hydra Shok 90 gr. @ 845 fps / 143# KE
    Winchester SXT 95 gr. @ 773 fps / 126# KE

I thought the Golden Saber and SXT produced the least recoil and the chrono results support my opinion.

8. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing the chronograph results, its sort of interesting that there isn't all that much difference in energy between upper level 32 ACP rounds GoldenLoki chronographed from a P-32, and 380 Auto Rounds out of your P3AT.

Best Wishes:

9. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    That's odd because KT claims that the p3at can handle 220ft lb KE. I guess that's ammo specs from 4" test barrel ratings.

I wasn't trying to weaken the weight of my recoil spring. Just get it to "set in". People have problems with brand new glock mags on there first range trip all the time from the unset springs but not when they were left loaded for a few days. Same concept here. It wont hurt to leave the slide locked back on your p32,glock,beretta,1911,ect.

It is true that the only multiple cycles of compression and relaxation wear out a spring, besides over compressing or stretching a spring. Most firearm designs don't over stress there springs in normal load/operation.

I believe that KT recommends a 100 round break in period not because the slide to frame rail fit has to mate together, or that the first few rounds somehow polish the feed ramp, but that the springs need to settle in. Especially with these short stroke micro pistols that can be finicky.