New P3AT range report (sn# JF...)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by evi1joe, Oct 2, 2007.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Took my blued/black P3AT to the range today.

Did a slight fluff-n-buff (really more of just a cleaning than anything--I wiped all the brown gunk out, blew it out with compressed air, then sprayed some rem dry-lube on everything that moved and oiled a few spots (no grease so far).

ONE HANDED (unsupported) point shooting with some quick aiming at 2-4 yards:
    Shot 30 rounds of Speer Gold Dot (perhaps my carry ammo until I try the DPX)
      -- no problems.
    Shot 14 rounds of Federal Hydrashock PD HP (low-recoil)
      -- no problems (recoil was not appreciably lighter, though I did like that the nose was more angled)
    Shot 30 rounds of American Eagle
      -- no problems.

TWO HANDED carefully aimed at 7-10 yards (and a few rounds at 20 yards):
     Shot 20 more rounds of American Eagle
        -- no problems.  HOWEVER, I did notice all bullets went HIGH and most an inch or two to the right.  Could be the gun, could my flubbing the trigger pull.

ONE HANDED (unsupported)
      Shot 6 rounds of Speer Gold Dot and purposefully limp-wristed every shot (with a fairly dirty gun) just to see how picky it was about limp-wristing.  It shot and cycled all but the last or second-to-last round of the mag, which got hung up on the feed ramp--slight bump and I was back in business.
      Shot 14 more rounds of Speer GD with no problems.

One thing I did notice after breaking it down tonight was that the front of the slide (?) seems to have gouged out a bit of the slide rails built into the frame.  Here are some pics (any idea if this is bad news, or whether I should just sand it a bit to smooth it out?):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now, I'm as confident or more confident in this gun than my much more expensive Kahr PM9; thought the PM9 has shot a lot more rounds through it, I've had several light-strikes with wal-mart WWB ammo and one light-strike with Rem Golden Saber ammo (I really don't know if they're light-strikes or hard primers or what though).  Overall I'm super happy and will probably be sending it off to get nickel-plated by Jack soon (though I like a matte-black finish better, I appreciate that Jack polishes things here and there and takes a little time smoothing things out).  

Three questions:
    1. Is the slide-rail gouging an issue or just something that needs to be sanded down and smoothed out?
    2. Can you get something cera-coated or whatever ON TOP of the nickel-plating??  I know it's useless overkill, but I just like black more than nickel.
    3. Is there any ammo that kinda acts like the best of both worlds in that it has a smaller hollow-point (which would give it more penetration--than a normal HP--but a bit more expansion than a FMJ, with some feed reliability advantage too)? I'd like the 97gr love-child of a DPX and a FMJ.

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions on here.  KTOG rocks!!
    --evil joe

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Great report

the gouge at the front frame rails looks normal (mine was both sides) after the initial cleaning of proud metal, it stopped. Interesitng thing, I notice the front of your rails are slightly radius, to allow the slide to start better on reassembly. Mine were not, but now worn slightly that way.

I see another proud metal spot opposite the ejector. that one is also very normal and needs to be cleaned.

Now you teased ME with the first two places of your Serial Number. the third place wouldn't happen to be "B"?

JFB

3. cuervo

cuervo New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    I just add a quick range report to your thread rather than start a new one. I have a JOxxx

I had the same wear areas, especially by the ejector.

I had bought a box of Winchester ball ammo that turned out to be flat nosed. My P3AT did NOT like that. I had many shots that were FTF because the round would be pushed against the feed ramp. A push with my thumb at the back of the slide was just enough to get it forward.

I did a small F&B that night, but plan on sticking with round-nose ball ammo.

I have the guide-rod buffer installed and had to problems with that. (Hopefully the FTF were ammo related, and not buffer related.)

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    AE FMJ seems to be very highly liked by many P3AT owners for its price, power, and round nose!

And in all of my weapons that have needed some work to get the loading issues right the buffer (I assume you mean JFB Washer) made zero difference one way or the other.

-Scott

5. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Nope, it's serial number: JFY0x. Glad to hear the gouging is a normal smoothing out of things. I'm off to get some 400 and 600 grit sand paper.

Are people using American Eagle FMJ as a defensive round? Since I'll double (or triple) tap EVEN if there are two muggers, I was thinking of staggering HP, FMJ, HP, FMJ as some people have mentioned.
    -j

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Not sure what the serial number has to do with?  I like to stagger AE FMJ and Cor-bon DPX in my carry mag.  For me it is chambered DPX, and the second shot (last or first in the magazine I don't know) is DPX, then AE FMJ, DPX, FMJ etc. All my backup mags are filled with FMJ because 1 - I can't afford that much DPX hanging around and 2 - if I really ever need more than 8 FMJ/HP won't be my biggest concern! But that is just my choice and others have very valid very different choices.

And oh ya - duck and hide because FMJ v HP and staggering usually creates a dust storm around here :)

-Scott

7. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I was answering someone elses question about my serial number.

HAH! Yeah, I've read enough of the history to know staggering is a taboo subject. I practice shooting head shots at 2-5 feet with quick aiming or just point and shooting (and I hit the center of the head 95% of the time--though once every three or four mags a round will stray near the edge of the head). I seriously doubt at that range it's going to matter whether it's HP or FMJ.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Instead of sandpaper, I prefer to scrape. since it is aluminun, any knife will work