New P3AT problem?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by CCCJT, Dec 5, 2009.

1. CCCJT

CCCJT New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Just recieved my new p3at a couple days ago. Went to the range after reading the owners manual and wanted to blow through my first 50-100 rounds to make sure that it is ready to go.

I had two different types of ammo with me. 100 rounds of PMC Bronze and 100 rounds of Fiocchi. (It was the only available to buy.)  In the first 50 rounds of Fiocchi I had 5 failures to fire. Went on to the PMC and had another 6 that failed to fire. Went back to another 50 rounds of Fiocchi and had one in every clip I loaded end up not firing.

After inspecting the failed ammo I noticed that only a few (about 5-7) actually had firing pin strikes and the rest had no marks at all. Was going to reload them in the magazine but realized that I was getting pressed for time at the rage. >:(

Hoping that the field strip and cleaning I performed will do the trick. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I love the little gun! When it did fire I was right on target up to about 20 feet, then my accuracy started to suffer. But it will certainly do the job for wich it was intended. Just hope that I don't have to send it back to them already.

CCJT

2. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Did you field strip and clean prior to going to the range?...I just fired my new P3AT , and had no problems, but I did clean and lube prior...Good Luck with your's..

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Make sure you let the trigger reset after each shot.

Release it all the way before pulling the trigger again.

4. CCCJT

CCCJT New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    After encountering the problem and THEN finding this forum I wished I would have.  :-[

5. CCCJT

CCCJT New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Thanks, I was pretty sure I did that but I will make sure next time I go. (Hopefully again today.)

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    You may need to clean the firing pin channel.
    Field strip and remove the extractor bolt, make sure to use the right allen wrench, when the bolt comes out the FP may shoot out so be ready. With the FP and spring out either use compressed air, an aerosol gun cleaner or a drill bit that fits the channel (by hand only) and clean out any junk in there. I only use a dry lube on the pin and spring. When you reassemble make sure the flat part of the FP faces the extractor bolt. The bolt doesn't need to be over tight but some blue Lock tight is a good idea. Also make sure the FP moves as it should when your done, you can just push the back of the pin where the hammer strikes to make sure.

It is possible, if you P3 is older, that the hammer is falling off the hammer block early as Haugr stated.

CJ

7. CCCJT

CCCJT New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Took it apart and cleaned it again today and went to the range again.

Not one single problem!!! :-[

Should have just cleaned it real good before I actually fired it. Guess that's what I get. ;D

Extrememly happy now. Thanks for all the info.

CCCJT

8. litenlarry

litenlarry Member

Sep 4, 2007
    MO, south of KC..
    Glad you got it figured out,,,My PF9 I got 3 years or so ago, was so packed with a heavy lube, I feel certain it would not have functioned if not cleaned first...The PF9 I bought a few weeks ago and the P3AT I just bought were not so heavly packed..Maybe they are running out of grease.. ;D

9. CCCJT

CCCJT New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Me too! After I went to the range again yesterday I brought it home and cleaned out the firing pin channel real well, just to be on the safe side. I couldn't believe the gunk that was down in there. :eek:

CCCJT

10. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Congrats on getting it working and welcome to the forum! The simple solution to your problem is to pull the trigger harder next time. ;D