Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a new P3AT owner.

Its a second gen P3AT I bought from CDNN....just got it today.

Cleaned it up before heading to the range and noticed the barrel had pits throughout it with one particular noticeable patch near the chamber. The rifling is sharp despite the pits.

I was wanting to shoot it so I finished cleaning it and went to the range.

Shot great. No malfunctions through the 50 rounds I shot (was about all I wanted to shoot, this gun is small). Functions slick as a whistle, I was really impressed. Fairly accurate for its size. I was picking off empty ammo boxes at 7+ yards fairly easily.

Back to the pitting.....the damn barrel is only 2.7" - how much can some pitting affect it. Honestly, were talking about a pocket pistol here, not a match gun.

Im going back and forth about sending it in....it functions great and am concerned about messing with a good thing.

Is this a common problem?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
P3AT barrels are often rough. Many here have worse barrels than you. It does not seem to affect the function though.

You have a lifetime warranty. If you are dissatisfied with your barrel, send it back. KT WILL replace it for free. You will have to be without it for a few weeks though.

Packer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
P3AT barrels are often rough. Many here have worse barrels than you. It does not seem to affect the function though.

You have a lifetime warranty. If you are dissatisfied with your barrel, send it back. KT WILL replace it for free. You will have to be without it for a few weeks though.

Packer.
Cool, as long as a few are getting hosed along with me it it makes me feel better.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
That is common enough indeed.  It's not a match grade barrel, that's for sure.  Some are better than yours, some are worse.  If it functions well, I'd probably keep it.  

If it really bothers you, it MIGHT be possible to buy a barrrel and have it sent to you (around $100).  Then they could refund your money when you send the old one in.  Seems like I've heard of that a time or two.  Other than that possibility, it would be a few week turn around.  Again, I'd probably keep it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been having a bad run of gun luck recently.....so this was a little disheartening. That aside I believe what you guys are saying and Im happy with the function of the gun and will leave well enough alone.

I recently purchased a stainless Taurus .357 magnum revolver that literally had a CHUNK of rifling 1/4" long missing from the bore. Apparently they were trying to get all the goodies out of the barrel reamer that day and I must have been near the end of the run. Rifling missing in a 3" .357 mag revolver is unacceptable.

There is no rifling missing in this gun, just pitting. This is also not a 3" .357 mag revolver.....

I will live with it....no problems. On to some good.

My first outing was great. When dealing with small pocket guns my general rule of thumb is stick to FMJ....easier to feed, better penetration.

After looking at the feedramp on this gun I almost took some JHP with me.......the ramp on this one is smooth. It had to have been polished to some degree from the factory.

But I stuck to FMJ. When buying .380 I wasnt really impressed with the flat tip on the Winchester ammo so I bought Remington UMC because it has a standard round nose profile. It worked flawless.

50 rounds wasnt too painful but Im fairly sure a 100 would have been to much.

Only prep I did was clean the factory oil off the gun. Then I lightly greased the rails and the hammer face along with the slide where the hammer rides with red high temp grease (same stuff I use on my M1 Garand).

I really like the OD green look of the frame. While I was at it I ordered a spare magazine, it worked perfect as well as the magazine that came with the gun.

I have a Don Hume JIT holster on the way....I prefer belt carry to pocket, personal preference.

Overall Im a happy KT owner so far.....

What suprised me the most was the accuracy. I was really expecting accuracy to suck for two reasons.

1 - the pitted barrel.....had no effect that I could tell
2 - lack of finger extension.....I was expecting poor performance due to lack of grip. Despite only getting two fingers on the grip it worked great without much issue. I probably wont bother with finger extensions.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I do like the +1 extension, but it sounds like you have it under control. FWIW, the barrel lugs and assembly pin are another candidate for grease on these locked breach pistols.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
If you are worried about a little pitting. Take a look at the comments about the return PF9s. KT parkerizes the barrel ID (chamber too) :-/

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
that kinda scares me, I don't know about anyone else...

and if all you have is a little pitting, consider yourself lucky.

one of mine has a barrel so bad, I would have never sent it to QC.

still shoots straight though, just ugly.

G

·
aaronkelly. I didn't think they could have put out any worse pitted barrel than one that I had on my kt 380 . Never seen anything ever like that. There are alot of them out their QC was off to the water cooler that day when my came down the line for sure. But it did shoot ok. eventually that barrel was replaced by kt when they fnally replaced everything but the grip on it to make it work right and I now have a great barrel, and I might add a perfect working 380, that I have been bragging about on this board. To date I have 425 flawless rounds through it WITHOUT CLEANING IT and I will continue this way--just because. My 24/7 kt380 is cleaned every shoot but this one is my play gun/range gun and IMO it is not necessary at all to clean every 50 rounds or 100 rounds. If the weapon is running right, then it will go far beyond what most all have been saying. Its dirty for sure, but the barrel ramp is black, except where the bullet actually hits the ramp for entry into the chamber and it is very shinny there, so the crap on the ramp that is not being touched by the round is immaterial to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.