New P3AT owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JoeyZ, Feb 7, 2008.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I receved a new in the box P3AT this past weekend as a belated christmas present. So far so good. I imagaine it will make a nice CCW. I took it to the range and put 30 rounds through it with no problems, picked up a spare mag for it at the gun store and cleaned it. However When I loaded it today, I loaded the mag, inserted it into the gun, racked the slide to chamber a round and the first round jammed in the breech. I pulled back on the slide several more times and it chambered. It did this several times. Any thoughts on this?

2. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    First off, welcome to ktog!  You're correct in your assumption, the p3at makes an excellent carry gun and you'll hardy know it's there.  What you are describing sounds like a break in issue.  These can be expected until you have somewhere around 200 rounds through the gun, more or less.  Giving it a Fluff and Buff may help shorten this round count considerably and it will also make you more familiar with all the little parts of the gun.  I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but let's look at some options:

1.  You mentioned buying an extra mag at the store and it's always good to have an extra one on hand.  If this problem only occurs with one mag and not the other then the fault lies in the mag itself.  You didn't provide enough information for me to be able to tell if that was the case or not.

2.  If it's not the mag the next logical reason rounds are jamming is the feed ramp hasn't become polished yet.  This will happen over time with more shooting or you can do it with a dremel tool or some other type of polisher.  If you do go this route remember to polish in the direction the bullet will travel up the feed ramp.  All my guns have a mirror finish thanks to polishing.

3.  A second cause for your troubles might be the ammo you're using.  Each KT gun is different in that they can be really picky, eat anything, or be somewhere in between.  Please provide more information about your ammo selection as that will help determine if that's the problem or not.  

4.  Every KT I've ever tinkered with will, on occasion, stick when the slide is racked on the first round.  The reason behind this is you are letting the slide gradually push the round into the chamber as opposed to the gun cycling after each shot is fired.  

My best guess is that your problem is caused by a combination of options 2-4 and most likely will go away after your gun is broken in.  This is the most help I can be with the information you've given me, but with a little more insight I'm sure we can narrow it down some more.  

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    One more thing I forgot to mention is that these little guns love to be lubed really well. It's a very good idea to take a new gun apart and lube it up before using it. Back in the days when people used iron pots and pans they would always "season" a new one by heating oil in it and the same applies to a gun barrel. Swabbing a barrel with gun oil before shooting it helps to do this from what I've read.

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Wecome. Happy to hear you had a good first shooting session with your new gun. Yep, the gun makes a great CCW in my opinion. Even though the pistol is a .380 I feel the P3AT has more snot than many people realize.

Take care ...

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG. hand cycling the first round sometimes will not fully return the slide. This will be greatly improved with lubrication and a little wear in from shooting. besure to pull the slide all the way back and release.
    even though mine is slick, I still bump the back of the slide after hand racking

6. Welcome to KTOG and the world of Kel-Tec Pocket Guns.

Hope you grow to love your P3AT as much aas most of us here do.

If you follow the directions already posted above, you can get yours running like mine!

Smooth as butter!
    [​IMG]

7. JoeyZ

JoeyZ New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Wow! I wish the car forums I'm on would respond this fast and with this much helpfulness. I appreciate the info and I guess I left out a few details. I stripped and cleaned, and lubed the gun, not the mag. It does it with both mags and both types of ammo I currently have. One is some military surplus JHP and the other is some FMJ ball nosed ammo I bought at the range, I forget the brand, but it's an off brand. Perhaps I should use some name brand ammo. I guess I will try the "fluff and buff" as I read up on that just now.

BTW I really like this little gun. It's so damn slim I can stick it in my pocket and almost forget it's there. The only other gun I own is a S&W .357 Magnum model 64 with a 4" barrel and Uncle Mikes grips, in stainless. I love that gun, but it doesen't exactly make for a concealable carry weapon in a hot climate like Texas, where most of the year I'm wearing T-shirt and jeans.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Most (but not every one) would stay away from commie ammo. especially steel case.

For disassembling the magazine, the assembly pin can be used
    to push in and hold button,
    to provide something to push base off with
    prevent base from flying off when it begins to move

Be sure the spring is installed to lift the follower level (I had a new mag with spring in backwards and it had a feed problem)
    and the spring coils fit around the base plate nubbs.

with 6 rounds in the mag, the top round should be able to be pressed down with out feeling any drag or popping as spring goes solid inside the follower

9. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    What I would recommend is that you buy a box of Rem UMC or Winchestor Whitebox FMJ and try those in your gun. Mil surp ammo works for most guns but it's not a good idea to shoot very much through a KT. Also stay away from CCI Blazer or any other ammo that uses a metal other than brass for the casing. If it's not the mag follower or any other mag issue (doubtful) then I would chalk this one up as a break in hiccup that will go away on it's own, or if you F&B it. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.