New P3AT owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Cascadedad, May 28, 2008.

1. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Have been a lurker several weeks now.  Found a P3AT at a local store about 2 weeks ago and purchased for $226.

I just want to thank everyone for making this a great site and helping us newbies out tremendously.  I immediately did a thorough F&B using 400 and 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.  Coated the outside with Eezox, oiled and greased inside with Remoil and Slick 50 One Grease.  Painted the front sight.  Ran snap caps through it with no problems, but could not find time to make it out shooting.  (4 kids keep me hopping most of the time.)  So, FINALLY, today at lunch I made a trip to the local indoor range for a FAST session.

Started with 12 rounds of HydroShoks, then 30 rounds of American Eagle and then 30 rounds of ....... dang, forgot what it's called, but I'll add it later.  Then finished with a few more HydroShoks.  So.....70+ rounds without a hickup.  Since my time was short, I fired pretty much as fast as I could load.  Approximately 1 sec/shot, fill the mag and do it again.

A couple notes.  I really didn't find it uncomfortable to shoot at all.  I shot about 1/2 of the shots with two hands and about 1/2 with one hand.  No problems either way, I prefered shooting it one handed.  I did check for smileys and yes they are there.  I originally thought as long it was reliable, I wouldn't mess with the smiley fix, but I probably will.  I'm a enjoy tinkering.  Accuracy at 8 yards was better than I was expecting.  ESPECIALLY since I was just shooting to put some rounds through the gun.

My Conclusion:  I really like the P3AT.  It is a great little gun.  It is definitely a keeper!!!!  I have some Golden Sabres on order.  Next session!!!!!!   ;)

I also shot about 25 rounds through my Glock 27 today.  Sure wish it was easier to carry, but I just can't do it comfortably and confidently.

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!

HOPEFULLY, I'll have a chance to add a few pics tonight.

2. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    welcome and great range report....makes an excellent backup gun (if you like to carry a larger caliber) but you can confidentaly use this as a primary gun,just put in pocket and go....doesn't feel any worse than a wallet or cell phone.....very good point and shoot....know the feeling with kids have 4 and 2 step sons :D

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Cascadedad,

Welcome aboard!

Appears that you have learned a lot from this site. Really nice range report with excellent results. Surprised you shot hollow points first time out but hey, its hard to argue with success :)

Take care and drop by often...

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Cascadedad,

Oh, and I hear you about the Glock 27. I recently bought a Glock 26 to replace my Taurus PT111 and even though these are subcompact pistols they don't carry nearly as well concealed or comfortably (I carry IWB appendix) as pocket carrying the P3AT.

Take care...

5. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Thanks guys.  The gun is cleaned, lubed, loaded and ready to go.   :)

The other ammo besides the HydraShoks and American Eagle was Independence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

70+ rounds from the P3AT.  ~1 sec/shot at ~8 yards.

[​IMG]

~25 rounds from the Glock at ~10 yards.

[​IMG]

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Cascadedad,

Nice shooting. So here is my recommendation - If the threat is at 8 yards or less draw your Kel-Tec, otherwise draw your Glock  :)

Take care...

7. Cascadedad...WELCOME TO KTOG!

Check out this report on a FINE K&D Custom IWB holster.  I can wear my g27 all day long with no problems.
    I also have a much less expensive Don Hume JIT (belt slide nelson type) holster that works well.

The report is here:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206649837/0

8. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I agree...nice shooting! Also, welcome to the group.

9. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG. :)

10. coachteet

coachteet New Member

Mar 10, 2008
  11. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Welcome aboard!!

And yes, great shooting!

The 3AT is a great gun for when you just can't carry anything else. It really is a "go anywhere" type of thing.

You'll have fun here!

12. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome! Glad to see another GLOCK operator. ;) Hope to read more from you around here.

13. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
    Thanks for the nice welcome everyone!

Went to Seattle this weekend to take in a Mariners game. After the game, my Bro asked me why I turned south on I-5. Of course he knew the answer, we were headed to Lacey to the new Cabelas. What a store! I picked up a box of Golden Sabres. Now,,,,to find time for another range trip!