New P3AT owner with 2 questions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gerry, Apr 28, 2011.

1. gerry

gerry New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Hello all, Just got a new P-3AT in hard chrome. Cleaned and lubed it tonight and noticed this hole just behind the rear sight. We have 3 of these in the family and this is the only one with it. Not sure if it is a concern or not? I also had a small piece of plastic fall out of the mag well that looks like it came from the Mag release catch, but I read on here that part takes a beating, didn't expect that to happen so soon. Read some older posts that someone on this forum sells a metal one? Does Kel-tec make one yet?
    Thanks in advance,
    Gerry
    [​IMG]

2. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    That looks like it was cut way to deep to me. I would call KT and have a new one shipped ASAP or take back to the dealer. It should shoot just fine but it's not supposed to be there. Someone was asleep in QC that day.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG and congradulations on your p3at.  I think that is the FIRST one that has posted where the machining tolerance have cause a break through at the rear sight.  while it will not hurt any thing, that is a maching error.  there is ususally a break through on the bottom of the slide where the pin of the extractor fits.  
    my self, I would keep that slide. I have been thinking about removing the rear sight and extending the groove farther down and figured I would have a similair break through because of the way the inside of the slide was cut

as for shearing off a piece of the mag catch, that will cause a problem if that is where the plastic came from

sorry for the not so good news

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome to KTOG!

Sorry to read that you're having issues with your P3AT. Sure wish Kel-Tec would make a metal catch, a MIMed one would work just fine and be much better than the polymer catch. Last time over on the Trading Post forum I saw that metal catches are available for purchase. However, I believe you need 25 posts in order to use that forum.

Take care,
    Bill K.

5. gerry

gerry New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. More bad news. Went to the range with the gun in this post and a Freedom P3AT that had 200 rounds through it. Mine right out of the box after 2 mags had FTE's, sometimes multiple ones in 1 magazine. Mostly did it when the magazine was topped off after chambering a round. The Freedom one started doing this last trip to the range. I noticed that both guns extractor springs had worked loose, my brand new one only after 2 magazines. Ill have to do the loc tite. Cant believe they leave the factory this way. I emailed kel tec and asked for an address where I can send the pic of the hole in the slide, so I wont bother shooting it again until I get an answer on that. The machining in that area is cut much deeper than a normal slide.

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I've never seen one like that.  Could be the little tab of metal was closing the hole at some point and it might have come out after test-firing at the factory, during shipping, at the gunshop, etc.  Assuming that is what you want, Kel-tec should exchange the slide for you pretty quickly.  When contacting Kel-tec, it's usually best/fastest to just give the service department a call.

7. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    I had a loose extractor spring screw on mine too after ~175 rounds. FTEs might have been that, might have been the 175 rounds that dirtied the gun. Next time I shoot, I'll run some through and see if it slacks off again. I just tightened it up, no loctite.