New P3AT owner! some questions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by wally05, Jul 2, 2008.

1. wally05

wally05 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Hi! I was looking for a good summer/everything carry gun and a good backup/ankle gun for my future police job. I came upon this nib JSX serial black p3at. It was between this and an OD frame one. What does the serial mean and when were the OD frame p3s made?

Do you recommend any accessories? I've been told to just get the clip if I want to carry on my waist. Thanks, guys. This is my first .380!

Korey

2. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    Hello Korey. welcome to a great forum specific to the P3AT. I know there are previous threads that have the interpretations for serial #'s.

My personal accessories I like are the Kel-tec mag extensions, although there are others that work.

Congratulations on the future "police job". I also have the IWB clip which is great for me. but am not familiar with ankle rigs.

Stay safe, keep posting, and enjoy the P3.

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard Wally!

Your JSXxx serial number would indicate to me a very recently made P3AT. I don't believe that the frame color or slide finish influences the serial numbers. I bought a 2nd HC/Gray P3AT several months ago with Ser. No. JPMxx and my older Blued/Black gun carries # J2Rxx. Oh, BTW, to me the best looking P3AT would be a Blued/OD one.

Both my P3ATs have grip pads, grip sleeves & mag extensions (1 Bersa & 1 Kel-Tec). My older gun also sports a metal mag catch that fixed a mag drop problem and a nylon guide rod washer that appears to have stopped some peening. I'd like to add a metal mag catch to my newer P3 and metal triggers, when they become available, to both guns.

I only pocket carry the P3 so I can't help you with ankle or IWB holsters for the gen.

Take care and good luck with your new gun and pending work as a LEO...  

4. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome to ktog and congrats on the purchase! I too use my P3at as a summer gun and as a backup to my P11, for which it works great. Accessories? +1 mag extension, rubber grip cover thingy, trigger shoe (if you have big hands), belt clip, IWB holster, and pocket holster for carrying both ways. I use Uncle Mike's holsters for all my guns because they are inexpensive and carry very well.

P3ats are fun to customize and if you are handy with a dremel and a small file you can give yours a fluff and buff (F&B) and file down the mag release button a little bit. It is more comfortable to carry when that thing is rounded off a bit. Give us a range report!

5. Congrats Korey- and welcome to KTOG!

A few good pages to start:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1204773333/0#2

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2504

[highlight] Be sure to check out the fluff and buff reliability prep.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks12a.htm [/highlight]

The finger grip extenders may help- and I like my CTC laser on the gun, but I DO NOT like the belt clips. I will not carry a gun without a HOLSTER.

Many good holster options available.

Check out K&D.

http://kdholsters.com/

I have three custom holsters from Kevin (K&D). One for my 1911, one for my Glock- and one on the way for my 3AT. Kevin makes FANTASTIC custom leather, he is very helpfull before and after the sell, and he supports this board.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  7. wally05

wally05 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome, folks. :) I field stripped it and cleaned the extra grease out. I noticed it does have problems hand feeding the first round, but I've heard that is common. It's with my practice ammo. I still need to find some good carry ammo. :D I do have a dremel and such, so I will have to do some work on it.

I'm not going to lie, I never thought about getting a p3at until a few days ago and then I found this one in my local shop. He said he only had it 2 days, so it must be a recent build. I'm guessing the OD framed ones are hard to find? I might pick that other one up!

I'll look into the recommendations you guys left here. :)

8. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    welcome wally..let us know how you like the way it shoots...

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Yes, generally in my area any P3AT other than Blued/Black is somewhat hard to find. The local gun shops get them but they seem to fly off the shelf pretty quickly. I got turned off by my LGS owner when he wanted a "premium" paid because of an OD frame.

Take care...

10. wally05

wally05 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I took it to the range with my glock and put a 50 round box of Independence practice ammo.... wow. All I can say is that I'm very impressed. I'm going to tear it down and do some sanding work to it soon. One misfeed, but the tap, rack, bang system fixed that. I only shot at 8 yards, but I put an extremely tight grouping near bullseye with it. I'm very happy with this purchase. Once I get it all fluffed and buffed and get some carry stuff, I'll definitely be packing this baby. At the end of the 50 round box, which I went through very quickly, my hand did hurt a little, haha.

I wish I could say the same about my glock 23. I put good groupings, but I started to flinch after awhile. I'm a newer shooter, but I wouldn't say I'm too bad. The P3AT has impressed my greatly. I paid $299 for this. The Green framed one is priced at $325. What do you think? These are two different shops selling them.

Korey

11. Korey-

Without knowing where you live-   it is hard to say if you got a good deal or not.  I am in North Louisiana.  Most I would pay for a NIB black blue would be $250.  Most for a H/C would be $300.

Used 3AT?  Unheard of around here....no one sells them!  But if some one knew of a reliable well loved 3AT... I would pay a premium for one in  a FTF transaction.

But if you are happy with the gun ... does it matter if the priced spread might be $50 ??

12. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    the dremmel #520 buffer works well, on the steel barrel and ramp...it all ready has compound in it...after you wear it down a little, it will fit the chamber...gpr

13. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm not cheap but I am frugal. I bring cash with me and offer to pay cash for a discount. Most of the time I will get a discount for doing a cash transaction and if not I'll use my charge card and reap the benifits associated with the cards I use.

Paid $264.95 + 6% State sales tax for my HC/Gray P3AT.

Take care...

14. wally05

wally05 Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Oh, I know. I've learned when it comes to firearms and gear, if you find something that is reliable and can afford it, just do it. P3ATs are hard to come by in my area, so I wasn't too upset about my buy. I'm kind of selling some our officers here at my University on them and might pass the OD one to them.

If I really want something, I don't mind the $50 spread, especially with the way this thing shoots. :) All I know is I put a 2.5-3" spread bullseye on a target at a good pace of fire... I'm sold. Good job, Kel-Tec!

Korey

15. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Welcome to the forum Wally, I've got an OD P-3AT and love it, but color is personal. When you load these don't pull the slide back and hold it then let it go, being it is such a small pistol and light weight, it needs all of the force it can muster to move the round into the chamber, just pull it back and let the slide go. Get the grip sleeve and grip extenders, they will increase accuracy and save the hand. Try a SmartCarry holser.

16. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I have always sent my Kel-Tec's to Jack Fuslier for the "works." Never had any problems after his excellent and inexpensive work. After he is done with your gun, it will go "bang" when you pull the trigger...regardless of ammo used!

Boggs