New p3AT owner! May want to paint it... =)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by brockgl, Mar 9, 2009.

1. brockgl

brockgl New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Okay folks, I am the very proud owner of a new P3AT. Let me tell you, it is hard to find one of these little gems in-stock in Central Indiana! I called every store in the region, and no one had them (except for Don's Guns in Indy--they have 5 in-stock--but probably has them listed for $500. Of course there's no way to know, because he won't tell you the prices of his guns over the phone, and I'm not driving 2 hours to find out the price is triple what it should be). But I finally found one locally! It was a grey one and the only one they had, and though I had originally wanted black or green, I wasn't going to be picky, especially since the price was right.

Once I got her home, I took her apart and fluffed and buffed her really nice, and she is now a very handsome little piece!

I actually really like the grey color now, and probably wouldn't trade it for the other choices if I could.

But, the grey color gave me an idea. Since it is a light color, it would make a really nice base to a secondary coat of some other color (like desert tan for instance =P ). But the trouble is, I have no idea what kind of paint or airbrushing or whatever would need to be used. I don't even know if this is an accepted practice...?

Has anyone ever seen this done. Does anyone have any pictures of decorated KT's? And more importantly, does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about painting one's own polymer grip frame? Any good techniques for a durable coat of paint?

Oh yeah, here's a picture of her. I have not shot her yet; that should be this weekend, for sure! Let's pray I can find a few boxes of .380 ammo by then (also not going to be easy).

[​IMG]

And here is a picture of the color I am thinking of making it --->

[​IMG]

2. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I just painted my new (not KT, but plastic stock) carbine. I used Fusion Camo spray can paint. It looks really good, but does scratch, I tried some enamel sealer on a piece of wood with fusion paint on it, and it turned the fusion to liquid. It is tuff as far as handling, but will dissassemble to clean, unless I can find out how to put a sealer on it. Jim <><

3. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    I'v heard this about the Fusion paint before. BTW , did ya let it cure? I put my AR 7 stock in the safe now for three weeks so it would cure (I guess I need to pull it out and see if the Fusion  paint worked)

4. p309

p309 New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I'll second the Duracoat.  I've used it a number of times with great success. It's not so much a paint, as a two-part epoxy that is sprayed on-- an airbrush is almost a requirement, although I have brushed it onto magazines, and other items.
    www.lauerweaponry.com        has a lot more info

5. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Kel-Tec will sell you a new grip for $29.

6. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    I talked to the paint man today at Ace Hdw. and he said he knew of NO hardner or sealer for Fusion. So I'll just give it a couple weeks to cure and know that it is one of a kind. Jim <><

7. rockusa

rockusa New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    look up Hoosier Gun Coat Home Page for painting