New p3at owner introduction

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hoopster, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Greetings fellow Kel-tec owners! Due to the wealth of info I've gathered here, I decided to go ahead and purchase the little .380. So far, I'm thrilled with it.
    Before my first range session I ran numerous rounds through it by hand and then did a quick fluff and buff. I also did some light sanding with 100 grit paper on the grips and trigger guard to get rid of the sharp edges etc. Once at the range, the only FTF was in the first magazine full of chewed up rounds that I'd been cycling. Everything else fed fine and my wife even put a few magazines through it with no problems.
    For the price I don't think there's another gun that can compete as far as size, weight and caliber.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

3. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Don't use live rounds for hand cycling. You run the real risk of having a negligent discharge and/or blowing your pistol up because the bullets may have been pushed back into the case resulting in much higher than normal chamber pressure when fired. Get some snap caps. They basically last forever and will do the same thing for you when hand cycling.

4. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Don't use live rounds for hand cycling. You run the real risk of having a negligent discharge and/or blowing your pistol up because the bullets may have been pushed back into the case resulting in much higher than normal chamber pressure when fired. Get some snap caps. They basically last forever and will do the same thing for you when hand cycling.[/quote]
    Thanks for the advice. I knew the rounds were looking less and less reliable but overlooked the setback issue. I just couldn't resist handling the new piece. Snap caps are on my shopping list.

5. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    No problem. Snap caps are a great tool to have. You can see how the gun feeds and ejects, plus it aids in smoothing the feed ramp and chamber. And it's SAFE! I know it's a virtual impossibility with a properly working modern center fire gun firearm, but I'm just REALLY afraid of having a slam fire if I were to use live rounds for hand cycling. Not hand cycling, but I've had slam fires with .22 rimfires.