Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason I ask is because this new pistol will not chamber the first round of a magazine and fails to feed at least one round in every other or every 3rd mag. This started immediately. I then polished the feed ramp and tried different ammo. Tried again, same results. Did a bit more polishing and tried a third ammo brand. Still won't chamber the first round and feeding after the first round is intermittent. Gun is well lubed and clean for all range sessions. I'm even touching up the feed ramp with a spot of break-free after every 20 rounds or so.

Round count is now around 175. I'm not riding the slide down on the first round nor am I limp wristing the thing. I'm an inch from giving up on it but it took me a while to find a OD Green - Hard Chrome so I would like to keep it. I can not depend on it yet and will not carry it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
imo, sounds like magazine issues if it will not chamber the first rounds, and has subsequent Failure to Feeds.

If you are sure you are not limpwristing it, and you are slingshotting it to let it close, then the magazines are the most likely culprit.

take them apart, check the feed lips and springs, make sure they are clean, etc.

good luck, but i believe the break in period is something like 300-500 rounds. most manufacturers will not even discuss repairs until you put that many rounds through it.

and these KT's tend to have very tight tolerances, and push the envelope. so a little more break in may be necessary.

ymmv, fwiw, etc, al.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
These are some possible mechanical causes of Kel-Tec P-3AT malfunctions and their fixes in order of potential cause. This assumes limp-wristing is not the issue.

Failure To Feed (FTFe).

1. Dirty or rough Chamber and/or Feed Ramp and/or Hood - Clean them and/or polish them.
2. Something obstructing the forward movement of the slide (dirt, burrs) - Clean, de-burr, lube.
3. Non-compatible ammo - Try other brands.
4. Bad recoil springs - Replace them.
5. Dirty Magazine - Clean it.
6. Bad Magazine Spring - Replace it.
7. Bad Magazine Follower - Replace it.
8. Bad Magazine Tube - Replace it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Failure To Fire (FTFi).

1. Failure to allow the trigger to fully reset - Allow the trigger to move fully forward after each shot.
2. Bad Ammo (commonly hard primers) - Try other brands.
3. Poor Lubrication - Lube it.
4. Firing Pin Spring Too Long - Replace it. (Only on older guns. New guns come with shorter springs.).
5. Firing Pin Jammed - This can happen if the extractor screw loosens, and while loose, the firing pin turns (the extractor screw also retains the firing pin). When the screw is re-tightened it can jam the firing pin because the screw is not in the retaining slot of the firing pin. (The screw must have loosened a lot for this to happen and you would probably have had a lot of FTEx's first).
6. Weak or Broken Hammer Spring - Replace it.
7. Dirty Firing Pin Channel - Clean it.

Failure To Extract (FTEx).

1. Loose Extractor Spring Screw (2G) - Tighten it.
2. Dirty Extractor - Clean it.
3. Dirty or Rough Chamber - Clean it and/or polish it.
4. Non-compatible ammo - Try other brands.
5. Bad Extractor - Replace it.
6. Poor Slide Lube - Lube it.

Failure To Eject (FTEj).

1. Loose Extractor Spring Screw (2G) - Tighten it.
2. Bad Extractor - Replace it.
3. Dirty or Rough Chamber - Clean it and/or polish it
4. Non-compatible ammo - Try other brands.
5. Limp-wristing - Lock your wrist
6. Bad or Missing Ejector - Replace it.
7. Poor Slide Lube - Lube it.
8. Dirty Magazine - Clean it.
9. Bad Magazine Spring - Replace it.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Try using something besides BreakFree CLP for lube.
It is Not the best thing in the world for reducing friction.
And I betcha friction is causing your problems.

Try a good firearms grease. Almost any of them will have higher film strength & be slicker then CLP.
Barring that try RemOil. It's good too.
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1119987390;start=0

Cleaning & Lube instructions:
http://www.ktog.org/tecwerks1.htm#Lubrication
http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

My FG gun simply would not work during break-in until I finally started using GunSlick grease on the slide rails.

rcmodel

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I switched to Corrosion X with the same results. Have closely inspected the chamber & ramp, I sure don't see any burrs anywhere especially after the polishing I have done and its clean. Manually working the slide is no problem as far as I can tell, its fairly smooth. I have only one mag, the new one it came with. I can buy another one I guess.

I don't see how a new gun could have bad recoil springs but maybe I can take that up with KelTec. Will also try a fourth ammo brand.

Last, when it does fail to feed, all it takes to chamber the round is a slight tap on the back of the slide. It then moves forward and the round goes in. During the course of fire, the slide can hang up for 3-4 seconds and while I am looking at it, the slide will all of a sudden move forward and finish chambering the round. This makes me think its close but just not there yet, something is hanging it up.

Thanks for the tips, will keep trying.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The slide sounds like a good place to look for problems.  On my FG, I had to take some plumbers emory and LIGHTLY sand where it was apparent from wear marks, that the slide was hanging up on the frame.  The frame is aluminum alloy, so don't use a dremel tool.  

If you have some white shoe polish, with one of those sponge applicators, (or white out) try putting some of it on the frame where the slide mates.  With the barrel, spring, ejector, and rod set aside, run the slide back and forth on the frame.  Do you feel anything hanging up?  Take it back off and look at the shoe polish.  Is any of it warn off?  If so, here is where you would want to LIGHTLY sand.  Aluminum comes off fast, so be careful.

I use Miltec grease on mine, and it seems everyone here has their pet type.  Miltec sent me a sample in a little screw top jar that I'm convinced will last for a decade.

I hope you get it figured out.  My FG has operated flawlessly after that initial fluff and buff/break in/slight sanding.

--Plex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not getting any better. I now have LIGHTLY buffed the slide surfaces & rails by hand (no dremel) with 400 grit sandpaper where everything meets and also tried a FOURTH ammo. Same results. I called Keltec and they said to polish the breech face around the firing pin???? What does that have to do with anything? Anyway, I did that and no help. Also cleaned the magazine, not much in there really.

With the barrel, spring ejector & rod set aside, the slide moves freely. It's even a bit sloppy side to side. Last, I found out it WILL chamber a round with only ONE in the mag. Sometimes with two in the mag. Over that, forget it. So I lightly polished the underside of the feed lips but no help there either. Bad or too strong of a mag spring as suggested earlier?

I'm gonna hit the range this weekend again but if it does not get better fast, I'm going to make somebody who knows how to get one of these running a good deal on a OD green hard chrome.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
How about the bottom of the slide that has to slide over the next round in the magazine. that surface also has to slide over the hammer.

I would think polishing and greasing it might help

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
You have two issues (IMNSHO):

1 - the initial loading of a first round manually.

2 - the failure to feed during firing.

1 is a common issue and, again IMNSHO, not a problem. Polishing the feedramp and smoothing everything sometimes helps but in some weapons that first round manually is always going to require a bump and that is not a big deal AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T LEAD TO #2

2 is a problem that should never happen. After you have done what you have and fired a few hundred rounds of several different types of ammo, if you are having this problem with more than one or two types of ammo it needs to go see momma in Florida for some work.

-Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.