New P3AT owner - Happy news!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gilbertfamily2000, Dec 3, 2007.

1. gilbertfamily2000

gilbertfamily2000 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    New guy here,
    Just purchased a new p3at a few weeks ago...it would not hold a loaded magazine. Had to send it in to Kel-Tec...I should have it back this week. Will keep you all posted on how it works. Kel-Tecs customer service has been great so far. BTY, if KT CS girl is accurate and I get my gun this week, it will be a 6 week turn around.

GoVols!

2. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Re: New P3AT owner - sad news

Let us know if you get your gun back this week. Tomorrow will be six weeks for mine and I'm anxious to get it back.

And BTW, welcome to the forum

Reggie

3. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007

Good luck and welcome to ktog! And I second your "Go Vols".

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Sad indeed.  Those are way beyond KT average turn around times which are historically closer to half that.  Let's hope that is a temporary anomaly and not a trend.  :-/

5. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007

I'm only 35 minutes from Kel-Tec in my Cavalier...and only 18 minutes in my wife's Testarossa. If you can go there in person they can usually fix any problem in under 30 minutes. Question? Is this worth living in Orlando--absolutely NOT.

6. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL

I agree with Boggs! It's not worth living in Orlando (11th in FBI's most dangerous cities list BTW) Anyways, I had the same problem with mine when I first bought it. I sent it in and they fixed it in around two weeks. First time fix, too. Sorry yours is taking longer.

7. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007

Too bad you didn't post here before sending it to KT. Replacing a magazine catch is a very, very easy thing to do and we could have helped you with that instead of waiting 6 weeks. KT would have sent you a replacement, possibly more than one, no problem. They're good like that and they've sent me TONS of spares over the years and I never had to pay once, which is great for consumable items like springs, which I would have expected to have to pay for.

8. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007

Too bad you didn't post here before sending it to KT. Replacing a magazine catch is a very, very easy thing to do and we could have helped you with that instead of waiting 6 weeks. KT would have sent you a replacement, possibly more than one, no problem. They're good like that and they've sent me TONS of spares over the years and I never had to pay once, which is great for consumable items like springs, which I would have expected to have to pay for.[/quote]

I also had a similar problem and with help from KTOG I fixed it myself. I trimmed a slight amount of plastic from the bottom of the grip which was keeping the mag from fully seating. I also second Kimberbp22, changing the mag catch should also help and easy to DIY.

9. Re: New P3AT owner - sad news

Too bad you didn't post here before sending it to KT.  Replacing a magazine catch is a very, very easy thing to do and we could have helped you with that instead of waiting 6 weeks.  KT would have sent you a replacement, possibly more than one, no problem.  They're good like that and they've sent me TONS of spares over the years and I never had to pay once, which is great for consumable items like springs, which I would have expected to have to pay for.[/quote]

NIce Response Kimber.... very much in tune with the way this board was intended to work!

10. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007

Maybe the Testarossa is...... :cool:

11. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007

I actually had KT send me a new mag...it did not work any better.

Next, I took it to the shop where I bought the gun...they had KT send them a new mag catch assembly and installed it for me...it did not work.

I confess that instead of reading this forum, I sent it to KT - new owner impatience (and irritation) I guess! No offense intended to this forum. I should have read more on this forum - rookie mistake!

Thanks for your help! :cool:

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

If changing the mag catch and a new mag didn't work, you done right. My only guess is a warped/out of spec grip that places the mag catch too far from the mag to stay engaged. It is rare but it happens.

13. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin

I have 3 magazines, one new with the gun, and the other two purchased new separately. Two work fine, and one won't engage the latch at all. So something is different in the one magazine. I trimmed the floor plate, but that didn't help, and I haven't taken the time to figure out what is different. I'll switch floorplates and see if the problem follows and report. But heading to bed now.

G2S

14. guru2sum

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin

The problem with mine was the floor plate.  I had already trimmed the flash off the top, but that still did not allow the magazine to enter far enough to engage the latch.

Starting at the beginning, all three magazines fit in the P3AT, but after firing each magazine a few times, first one and then the others would apparently snap in but fall out during firing.  A call to K-T had a replacement latch to me in a few days.  Then I found that only 2 of the 3 magazines would latch with the new latch.  While waiting for the replacement, I read on this forum that the latch needs to be held in while inserting the magazine, so the new latch has been treated gently.

I swapped floor plates, and the problem followed the floor plate.  Inspecting the two, there was no apparent difference; in fact the good one did not have the flash trimmed so it looked the less likely to function.  Measurements on the open end of the floor plates were nearly identical.  But the depth of the floor plate groove on the closed, rounded end was different by 0.020".  Refitting showed no interference on the open end of the floor plate to the grip, but there was interference to the grip on the rounded end.  Careful slicing with a utility knife and smoothing with a file on the top of the rounded end to remove about 0.020" gave the desired result.  No material was removed on the half with the open end.

My suspicion is that the problem magazine was the original and that the latch may have been "adjusted" to hold the magazine, but the latch ended up angled, and the magazines falling out numerous times kept taking a little more plastic off the latch.  I could locate no cavity identification on the floor plate, but the mold core apparently got loose or bent so the groove for the magazine is too low.

Sorry for the belated (and extremely dry  :-[) report.  But it is a simple matter to remove the floor plate and take off a little plastic.

G2S

15. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007

Everyone has been more than helpful...much obliged! I am still waiting on my gun to come back from KT...until then, I will try to be patient.

GoVols!

16. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

guru2sum: That was some great detective work/gun smithing. :cool:

17. guru2sum

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin

My pleasure to possibly help.  It was easier than sending back to K-T.  I was hoping to find something that would identify the problem, like a cavity number or something you could see.

I am thinking that if you are having a problem latching a new magazine, use a piece of paper as a shim and see if it is pinched between the floor plate and grip, especially the rounded end.

G2S

18. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007

Update on Kel-Tec's legendary Customer Service...unfortunately, they are a little slow on this one. I called a couple of days ago and they said, "you should get your gun by Dec. 21, the day we shut down for Christmas". I mailed the gun on October 30...you can do the math!
    Anyway, I know I will like the gun when I finally get it to the range. I am just thankful that I have shot P3-AT's before...at least I know what to expect. :'(

GoVols! Let's beat Wisconsin (and give Fulmer a contract extension as well!)

19. gilbertfamily2000

Dec 3, 2007

G2S,
    Thanks for all the info...I wish I would have asked around here before I mailed my gun!

GoVols

20. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004

I like my P-3AT fine but much prefer my P-32s for reliability. I also have problems getting the mags to seat and when I was at the range yesterday had one FTE on the 3-AT and none on either one of my P-32s (left the third one at home).

Maybe I was "limp wristing" but thought I had a pretty firm grip on it.

As for the GO VOLS thing.... GO VOLS. I lived in Knoxville for 23 years before I moved out here in 1991. I love Texas but my heart will always be with Tennessee football (even when they suck).