New P3AT owner checking in

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Milsurp, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Milsurp

Milsurp New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Hey everyone,

I bought a used P3AT the other day. Hard chrome with extra mag for $200. I've always loved how tiny the little kel-tecs are but have been discouraged by the reliability horror stories. I finally decided to take the plunge, vowing to give the gun all the TLC it needs to be reliable.

I took it to the range today and shot some WWB 95 gn. I was expecting horrible reliability, unbearable recoil, and general unshootability. I only shot 30 rounds, but I was fairly impressed. I only had one malfunction, a failure to extract. Recoil was very manageable (I mean c'mon, it's just a .380) and my groups were better than I can do with a J-frame.

I did the fluff & buff, making sure to polish the chamber the best I could. Hopefully that will fix the failure to extract. I think I have the old extractor and I'm wondering if getting the new one would help too. It seems a tad loose, but I don't have an allen wrench yet.

That's about it, I just thought I'd say hi and thanks for all the good info I've found on this site.

:)

2. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG mil

Sounds like you got a good deal on your p3at. Go to this link and find out if you have a 1st vs 2nd generation gun, that should help you figure out your extractor, if you need an Allen wrench, you probably have a 2nd generation with the new extractor. ;)
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1118894836

Happy Shooting
    CK

3. Milsurp

Milsurp New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    It's a second generation.  I think it's the old extractor with the rounded 'point' rather than the pointy 'point'.

[​IMG]

4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome! Sounds like the little gun is performing better than you thought it would which is a plus. Recoil is very manageable and accuracy is unbelievable out of these little things. I have yet to see a KT of any model that I couldn't push farther than it was meant to go and get reliable results and believe me I have tried. Think P3AT at 40 yds ;) Stick around and be a part of the group. We are something of a small family here, albeit a dysfunctional one, but a family nonetheless. Get that post count up and join us over in the counter.

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Dysfunctional?? Us?!?!

;D

Welcome aboard, Milsurp!!! Shoot, clean lube, repeat!

You'll have more KTs before a year has gone! :)

6. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I wish I could have found a deal like that. The few gun stores that there are in this area are a rip-off. The only one that even has a plain blued P3AT wants a ridiculous $325 for it. I ended up coughing up about $350 all said and done for a brand new one.

I think all of the "horror stories" are entirely overrated. There are reasons why this gun has been such popular little gun that Kel-tec can hardly keep up with the demand.

7. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome to the group. As you and a few others have found out the horror stories are not the norm. Sure a few have trouble with different types of ammo but you will find a brand or 2 that yours likes. Mine takes the WWB and Corbon DPX with no problems what so ever..
    Again welcome

John

8. I prefer "colorful" over dysfuntional.

Welcome aboard Milsurp. SOunds like you made a fine purchase. Keep us posted!

9. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Milsurp, Welcome to KTOG. I bought a used P3AT 7 weeks ago, and caught the KT fever. 10 days ago I bought a PF-9. Like Lurker38 said, you'll have more KTs within the year. Again, welcome...Enjoy your new little friend.

10. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    If i wasn't broke right now I'd go buy a PF-9 to go with my new P3AT too.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard!

Did anyone tell you yet that it is un-American to own only one P3AT?  :)

Take care...

12. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Yea, I hear that an extra gun is better than an extra magazine. I also heard that life is like a box of chocolates.

13. bensin2

bensin2 Guest

Welcome...Thats a good deal. Wish I could find one for that price.

Brent

14. Milsurp

Milsurp New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    My P3AT has been 100% since the fluff n buff. I tried some hornady xtp's and they function perfect and have less recoil than my fiochi practice ammo. According to what I've found they have good penetration and expansion and produce about 1000 fps at the muzzle.

So I've got a gun that works great and I like, loaded with ammo that works great and I like. I'm happy.

Also, I swore I'd never lose my ejector, but I did. I called KT and they sent me a new one and the new hammer block. They said that there wasn't a new extractor though. (see below)

15. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Good to hear that everything is working out well for your little gun.
    The smallest, most valuable parts will always be lost first. KT customer service is amazing!

16. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG and enjoy your new P3AT.

17. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Dysfunctional?! why we are the one's who put the fun in dysfunctional. Welcome aboard Mil. Have you played the holster game yet? it's fun also. ;) I like homemake holsters in the back pocket, but there are differing opinions on this board.

18. KMVFD3407

KMVFD3407 New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    NE Alabama
    I picked up my forst KT a couple weeks ago, a P-3AT Hard Chrome new for $279 plus tax. I really love it as my promary carry.

I liked it so much last weekend I bought a PF-9!