New P3AT owner and Loving it!!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Roeschu, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Roeschu

Roeschu New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    I am new to the forum and a new Kel-Tec owner. Thanks for all of the previous posts that I have seen over the last few months leading to this purchase.

The gun show finally made it's way around again :D. I kept missing it due to lack of being at home. I had priced this piece all over town and it was showing up for $299 at its lowest. Since www.impactguns.com has them for $250 I was wanting a better deal. After it was said and done. I walked out of there with the P3AT at $235 :eek: NIB Blued, an extra clip for $22, and the right handed belt clip for $15(over priced) and around $20 tax. I walked out still under the price I could have bought it around town. So I am assuming this was a good deal.

So my question is, I have field cleaned it, still need to do a fluff & buff, any other recommendations as to improve this little guy (besides a laser- that will come later)? Also, since I am not all that familiar with cleaning guns how much oil should I put on it when I am done cleaning it. So far it has just a light layer, and what all am I suppose to oil.

Thanks for the help!

2. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006

3. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Great deal Roe!

If it makes you feel any better about the clip I think they're $11 from KT plus $7 or so shipping.

Just cleaned mine myself and as others reply you will find that everyone has their own favorite method of stripping, cleaning and lubing.

Personally I use nothing but BreakFree CLP on my guns and I never leave more oil in or on the gun than a clean, lightly oiled piece of T-shirt will leave behind. There is no "gloss" when I'm done but there is a light "sheen". I don't leave a lot of oil because I believe too much oil left behind will pick up and hold grit, dust and lint.

My typical process goes something like this.

Break the gun down to its major components.
    Pour/spray a healthy amount of CLP into a container, a butter dish works great for all my guns.
    <edit>[highlight]Note:[/highlight] The butter dish is not full, only about 1/4" or so and please pay special attention to the firing pin hole to prevent problems as noted by Rubb</edit>
    <edit> For more info on oil and primers see these two links. According to the boxotruth there's no need to worry about oil and primers on properly seated primers.
    http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39_2.htm
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202586033
    </edit>
    Drop the slide, barrel, springs, guide rod and any assembly pins into the trough, swish them around and let them soak
    Take a well soaked piece of T-shirt about 2" square and scrub the inside of the receiver and frame. For those tight nooks I use a bamboo skewer to press the cloth into the crevices
    Take another piece of T-Shirt about 2" square and go over the entire receiver again a couple times. This will soak up oil left behind from the first cloth, pick up dirt and leave behind a nice thin coat of oil.
    Take each part out of the trough and clean it up. I start with the slide, then the barrel, then the guide rod and springs reassembling as I go, finally mating the slide to the receiver and securing it with the cleaned up pin. Don't forget to run a piece of cloth down the bore of the barrel, 1" or 2" square should be fine.
    When that's all done I take a clean piece of T-Shirt and wipe any excess oil off the outside of the gun.

Also, on the barrel, if you see flecks of black down the bore after you've wiped it with the cloth it may be nitrates sticking to the bore. Usually the CLP will loosen these on its own but you may need to push a brass brush down there to get them out. Some people are partial to Bore Snakes and the Bore Snake is a fine product.

In short, I oil everything but only enough to prevent rust and friction and not so much as to collect grit and lint.

<edit>
    Or ... :-[ ... follow the excellent lube guide from Golden Loki posted by Rubb ...
    </edit>

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Welcome Roe - keep it well cleaned and lube and it (and therefore you) will be very happy.

Noticeably lacking on your list of "out the door" purchases was a pocket holster. Many of us (though not all) believe that it is unsafe to carry with just the pocket clip unless you either 1) carry without one in the pipe (not recommended by most) or 2) use a safe holster that protects the trigger. Either PM me or do some searching on KTOG if you have questions about this and - Keep it safe out there.

-Scott

5. Roeschu

Roeschu New Member

Feb 3, 2008
    Wow you guys are fast at responding!! I am impressed. As far as the belt-clip, I took the $15 hit because it would cost more with shipping. Gotta love the internet so you can price shop before you buy.

I did get a pocket holster. Guess I got caught up in the excitement of the new toy that I forgot to list that. Got a couple of sweet little Ace Cases. Now I just have to figure out what I prefer and what ammo I am going to use to carry.

6. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    doubloon,

With all due respect:

This would be a concern for me, soaking the slide will enable the CLP to
    get into the firing pin hole and then seep out in the muzzle down(carry position)
    directly on to the loaded round primer, not a good idea.

7. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    You might wanna check out some Aglaser pads and grip, they seem to be very appreciated by many. Some like the Hogue handall Jr. but it needs to be padded underneath and/or cut to fit just right on the diminutive P3AT. I know at least one person who had both and touts the Aglaser over the Hogue.

Also maybe some nitesiters to give you a boost on the site picture or you can do the model paint like a lot do. My brother did the green/orange on my wife's baby Beretta and it helped a lot.

There are a couple to get ya going. :)

I am sure some others can come along and suggest a few more.

8. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome to ktog! Sounds like you got a pretty good price considering that everything else in your area is sky high. Take it out and shoot it, then come back with a range report and let us know how it went. BTW, it's a magazine, not a "clip" :D

9. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    doubloon,

With all due respect:

This would be a concern for me, soaking the slide will enable the CLP to
    get into the firing pin hole and then seep out in the muzzle down(carry position)
    directly on to the loaded round primer, not a good idea.[/quote]
    Thanks Rubb I'll keep a lookout for that. Although it's never been a problem before it's a good point. Fouling primers would be bad news indeed. I never put my gun back in service without dry firing (with snap caps) a couple dozen or so times maybe that helps.

I will be inspecting primers on a regular basis now and if I see a problem I'll disassemble the firing pin and clean it proper.

Thanks and please feel free to point out any other oddities or no-nos you may see. I am by no means an expert, I have some routines that have been working for me for years but I like to think I'm still learning and I wouldn't want to put anyone in an unsafe situation because of a misconception I may have about "right".

One more thing, I probably don't have as much respect due as you may think. ;)

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    When I clean my P3ATs I spray everything (including the firing pin hole) down with CLP and then just wipe off what I can before greasing the rails and hammer slide before putting it all together. It is dripping and I have never even seen indication of oil on my primers.

Note that when I clean the next time I clean all that out (including the firing pin hole) with gunscrubber and start over so there is no "build up."

-Scott

11. THE_HUNTER

THE_HUNTER New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Molylube dries instantly and is the best to use on CCW pistols,plus it won't drip onto your clothes or primers.I have a belt clip on mine but always use a pocket holster,but the belt clip is there if needed.I feel if you do it right it is a very safe carry.There is no hair trigger on a P3AT.What would even snag in a waistband anyway in the trigger area?I love the gun too as in the hot summer it is the only gun I feel I can conceal anywhere the laws allow and not scream "CCW!".Winter carry is the Kahr PM9 but summer city carry is exclusively P3AT.Enjoy yours as I do mine! :cool: