New P3AT owner, ammo question.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Dec 24, 2009.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Hi All,

New to this forum, but not to guns; I got my first gun, a .22 pump, 60 years ago ( not a typo, I am that old  ;) )
    Santa (my wife) is bringing a brand new P3AT (s/n KJLxxx for those who keep track).
    It is my first .380. I have carried a Glock for close to 20 years (G-19, then G-26).

I read a lot about it, did the F&B.

It will be my primary carry a few times a month, when the Glock is too bulky.

I read old threads that spoke highly of the CorBon DPX.  Is it still considered the best SD round ?

I got the +1 mag extension; I really need to slam it hard to get it to stay; normal ?

Merry Christmas !!!

The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"

jfl (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Rule number 1 with the p3at don't slam your mag in. The mag catch is made of plastic it will wear out real fast if you slam it in. You need to depress the button as you are putting the mag in. You might have to trim some of the plastic from around the mag well opening and from around the 1+ extension. Also do a fluff & buff as posted else where.

3. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I dont know that i would do any trimming on the mag well, but a little trimming on the extension would probably solve the issue. As was said, it a plastic mag catch, so dont slam the mags because it will wear it out quickly. There is a metal catch available in the traiding post.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    1.  Depress the mag catch and insert the mag.
    2.  After the mag is in, press the +1 extenion in firmly with the heel of a palm to make sure it has locked in place. They can be a tight fit.
    3.  There may be a round or 2 as good as DPX but likely none much better, in JHP.
    4.  Welcome.   :)

P.S.  From your sig line...  The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"

That's a good one.   ;)

5. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Thanks, Guys, for the info on the plastic mag catch !
    I guess I will be getting a metal one soon.

As I mentioned, I already did the F&B thing; I used a dab of moly-slide on the hammer face, the interface and other friction area.
    The difference in cycling the gun manually was amazing.
    The feed ramp on the barrel was already polished to a mirror finish at the factory.

I was pleased at the finish of the gun out of the box, compared to all the horror stories I read on the net.

Can't wait to go to the range !!!