New P3AT November 2007

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Gunthr, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Gunthr

Gunthr New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    s/n JH***

Very happy. I cleaned it and did a light F&Buff before shooting. The first 50 rounds were Sellier and Bellot. I had two seemingly random failure to feeds. I figured out that I limp wristed these shots. The second 50 rounds was S&B again, which ran thru with no problems. I called it quits, cleaned it and came back next day.

The third 50 rounds were Magtech fmc, Fourth box was Speer Gold Dots, and the last 50 rounds were department issued Ranger Talons - all rounds fired with no problems.

I was having just a little problem getting on the sights quickly. My buddie suggested I put a drop of JB WELD on the back ramp of the front sight, then turn it upside down to cure. Then when cured, and maybe lightly sanded, paint the backside of the sight with flourescent red sight paint. I will do this as soon as I get a chance.

I have a Guru Dave pocket holster, not cheap but it is ideal for me.

I'm using the two-part Action Magic style dry lube system, and a little grease here and there for lube.

This little piece has helped me keep my committment to myself to be armed most of the time.

This is really a very useful forum. Thanks!

2. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Great report!...and Welcome to KTOG.

3. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    "My buddie suggested I put a drop of JB WELD on the back ramp of the front sight, then turn it upside down to cure.  Then when cured, and maybe lightly sanded, paint the backside of the sight with flourescent red sight paint"

Welcome,

JB Weld isnt strictly necessary. There are several threads (e.g. http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1175711868) discussing painting the sights, e.g. with Testors paints available at hobby lobby, and then putting transparent nail coating on top for durability. I painted mine based on the recommendations on this board and it has held up perfect during daily carry, and it can be removed with the right chemicals.

4. Gunthr

Gunthr New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Thanks for the welcome and for the link. :)

5. Glad to have you here Gunther, and glad to see some one actually DO the fluff and buff before they sot the gun.

Glad the first time out was good for you, and come back here often!

Oh... I forgot the obligitory message for new guns:

!!!POST PICS!!!

6. Gunthr

Gunthr New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Thank you, and here you go, Nu...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I'm at it I wanted to share some thought-provoking posts collectively called "Terminal Ballistics - As Viewed In A Morgue" from a fellow name deadmeat2, linked over at Mouseguns. I'm sure some have seen this already. While the .380 is deemed marginal at best for social work, my view is that at least I can reliably carry it day in day out. My 32 year old S&W MOD 60 gathers dust because it is often too much of a PITA in South Florida where shorts, t-shirts and sandals are my clothing so much of the time. I won't be trading shots with bank robbers with it... but on some very very bad day I may defend myself or my loved ones with this .380.

http://www.mouseguns.com/deadmeat.htm

Photos show my Sig Sauer P226 SS in .40, my S&W Mod 60 and the P3AT in Guru Dave's pocket holster

7. Gunthr....Look Familiar?

The Guru is indeed a nice back pocket holster.

[​IMG]

8. Gunthr

Gunthr New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    HAH! I need that clip extension :D

9. They are not hard to find Gunthr.  Do a search of KTOG.  You can find them at BERSA and NAA I think.  Just about any .380 mag extension will work.  I have 3 brands.  The NAA is longer and thinner.

I bet if you PM Wilson, he can give yousome good direction.

There is a KTOG that sells them in the trading post, but he is out of touch until FEB 08 I think.

You could also post a WANT TO BUY on the trading post and I am sure you will find some.

But if you want to go really big....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did the above mag extensions conversion using NAA parts.  If you search 9 round mag you can find the step by step.

10. Gunthr

Gunthr New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Thanks Nu... not interested in that monster mag extension... if it won't fit in my pocket i don't need it... :)

11. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Nice little trio of handguns you got there Gunthr. Welcome to KTOG.

12. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Gunthr,

Thanks, very much, for that outstanding link!! WHEW!! Took quite a bit of time to wade through it all, but the time was well spent! Great information, and interesting conclusions, offered by someone with a perspective to which most of us will never be privy. I find myself agreeing with most of what he had to say, and wish I could thank him for his time and efforts, even if, as it appears, there were a few who would rather have taken issue with his comments, than learn something useful. Again, many thanks for the info! After reading it, I'm rethinking what loads I want to use in my P3AT, as well as my .45 ACP!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

13. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    mouseguns is a good read, especially the morgue stuff. everyone should at least be familiar with it in making their weapon/ammo choices.

but i do have one problem with it. we (or at least most ccw'ers) are not out there to kill people. we are out there to "stop the threat" and protect ourselves and our family. although it is obvious that dead is stopped, deadmeat doesn't do much to address the ability of the .380/.32/9mm to stop the threat and only focusses on what he sees in front of him, dead people.

-scott

14. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    With great care to no RE-start the jhp/fmj etc etc etc argument, I am curious Doc as to what you are thinking after you read deadmeat's postings? In both your .380 and your .45?

-Scott

15. The "monster mag" was mainly a diy play day effort, and is used at the range on occasion. But I do not discount that it can be handy as a back up mag for those inclined.

16. Gunthr

Gunthr New Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Nu, I thank you sir. I am impressed by that extended mag. I just don't see the P3AT as that type of handgun, but its pretty cool, and I know a lot of people will be interested.

Doc, I learned from the information in the link too. I'm pretty sure that the info provided by deadmeat2 is valid. I've been told again and again that the .357 is so good that, even if you miss your target, it will set him on fire and make him deaf. (lol) But I know me, and there isn't a .357 made that I can reliably carry every day in South Florida with more than a two shot capacity. But I will carry the little Kel-Tec every day.

Ademesq - I agree, we only want to stop the threat, not kill people. The link I gave is clear about this. It is all about stopping people from hurting you or yours.