New P3AT nothing but problems

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hawghead, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Hawghead

Hawghead Guest

I picked up a New P3AT today and went to the range with several FTE. The shot brass would be inside barrell and the new round was trying to load and the slide would be half opened I had to try to drop magazine shake out the brass .So I called Kel-Tec and they said its a bad extractor and they will send me a new one. I brought it home took the extractor out and the firing pin and spring fell out. My question is how do they go back in I did not know the firing pin came out when u took the extractor out .Can someone tell me how it goes does the knotch go up down and how is it held in ETC.. Thanks WHY would the Extactor be bad on a new gun i looked at it but I dont have the new yet to compare it with Thanks for any info...

2. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I had the same problem with two guns. One broke in fine somewhere after 125 rounds or so.
    The other I sent it and it's fine now.
    I hope you cleaned and lubed them good before firing, both of mine were dirty when received.
    I have not messed with the firing pin so I can't help you there.
    Good luck with yours.

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    On my first P3AT, out of the box, had failure to extract problems to the tune of 2-3 every mag. Kel-Tec sent me a new extractor spring and screw which solved the problem. Just lucky I guess and had no problems with the firing pin. At the time did not know there was some connection to the firing pin and sorry to say I don't even now know/understand what the connection is between the two.

Good luck...

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    this pic may help;
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3atparts.html

Did ya go to the range and shoot it dry? These things are test fired at the factory , shipped w/ out cleaning. Make sure to clean and lube every 50-100 rounds( they run much better w/ lots of lube ). I like to put some grease on the slide/frame rails too.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    from the FAQ and VIPs
    [​IMG]

6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    If all you want to do is change the extractor--Then don't remove the slide. Dry fire to drop the hammer. The hammer will hold the FP in place as long as you don't move the slide.

This is a PF9, but it's almost the same:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176553013#1

Packer.