Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

New member, new KelTec owner, having an issue.

So I finally get the chance to take the P3AT to the range for the first time today and it was a bit of a disaster. The gun fired the first two rounds just fine, but the third round failed to chamber. I had experienced this before when hand-cycling DPX but I figured it was because it was HP ammo in a never-fired gun; usually a a little nudge on the back of the slide would get the nose up the feed ramp and into the barrel. [I was using Blazer ball ammo, not DPX, at the range] This time, however, the round didn't want to go in and instead pointed vertically in the magazine.

I dropped the mag, racked the slide to clear the chamber, removed the vertical round, and reinserted the magazine. I rack the slide, the round chambers, I pull the trigger, it goes *bang*, the spent casing ejects cleanly, but the next round does does the same thing. Nudging the slide does nothing but force the top round vertical again. I repeat the entire process of dropping the mag, clearing the chamber, reinserting mag, racking slide, fire, *bang*, clean ejection, FTF.

At this point I'm pretty ticked, so instead of going through the entire procedure again I just drop the mag and start racking the slide repeatedly. The slide was very reluctant to return when released, feeling almost as if it was dragging and hanging-up on the barrel, and I often had to force it forward.

I remember reading somewhere (here?) about someone who field-stripped his and reinstalled the recoil springs incorrectly. When firing, his inner, smaller spring actually worked its way off of the guide rod and actually launched out the front of the gun. I began to wonder if I had made the same mistake or if the guide rod had become bent, so when I got home I field stripped the weapon and was happy and sad to see that both springs were present an the guide rod was straight as an arrow - happy because I didn't need to order new parts but sad because I now had no explanation for why the gun wouldn't feed. As I'm typing this right now the slide is wide open, hung up on the follower as if it were designed to remain open after the last round!

So, basically, HELP! What's going on here? Did I do this? The only I could possibly have done was reinstall the recoil springs incorrectly, but as far as I can tell the springs are bi-directional.

Ideas?
I posted this on another board and received some good suggestions - be mindful of limp wristing, buff & polish,  check for magazine issue - but these don't explain why the slide would hang-up on the follower or why it would hang-up even when no mag is inserted.

What do y'all think?

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Rubb said:
Use some grease on both areas and try again.
This is my first question. Was it lubed? These little boogers are cut to the bone to reduce weight. A lack of lubrication will really affect how they function. After that I would check holding technique (limp wristing). My hands are large enough I can't get my ring finger on the grip without a magazine pinky extension. And without the extension I have a very difficult time controlling mine. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3wbdriver said:
This is my first question.  Was it lubed?  These little boogers are cut to the bone to reduce weight.  A lack of lubrication will really affect how they function.
DING DING DING!!!

I feel like an idiot - when I first got the gun I hosed it down with brake cleaner to remove the oil KT put on to prevent rust but I was in a hurry to go out so I just reassembled it and left. I had it dissembled today looking for bends or burrs on the frame rails when I noticed they were bone dry. I couldn't believe it could be something that simple so I lubed it up, crossed my fingers, and headed out to the range fully expecting it to fail again.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I went through 206 rounds (versus 4 yesterday) with only two FTFs and one FTE. The FTE and the first FTF were both during "rapid fire mags" and were certainly the result of limp wristing. The second FTF came somewhere around the 170-180 mark when the gun very dirty and starting to struggle, so that wasn't a mechanical fault.

So yeah, the gun appears to be working flawlessly; it was purely a user headspace error. Thanks for y'alls help!  :)

·
Super Moderator
17,775 Posts
Well, at least now you know it wasn't a manufacturing defect. :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Don't use brake cleaner!! :eek:

Use a cleaner designed to be safe with polymer guns.

Otherwise you may damage the frame. :-/

Just trying to help. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts