New P3AT not feeding

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kulprit, Nov 12, 2010.

1. kulprit

kulprit New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Hey folks,

New member, new KelTec owner, having an issue.

I posted this on another board and received some good suggestions - be mindful of limp wristing, buff & polish,  check for magazine issue - but these don't explain why the slide would hang-up on the follower or why it would hang-up even when no mag is inserted.

What do y'all think?

2. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006

3. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    This is my first question. Was it lubed? These little boogers are cut to the bone to reduce weight. A lack of lubrication will really affect how they function. After that I would check holding technique (limp wristing). My hands are large enough I can't get my ring finger on the grip without a magazine pinky extension. And without the extension I have a very difficult time controlling mine. Just some thoughts.

4. kulprit

kulprit New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    DING DING DING!!!

I feel like an idiot - when I first got the gun I hosed it down with brake cleaner to remove the oil KT put on to prevent rust but I was in a hurry to go out so I just reassembled it and left. I had it dissembled today looking for bends or burrs on the frame rails when I noticed they were bone dry. I couldn't believe it could be something that simple so I lubed it up, crossed my fingers, and headed out to the range fully expecting it to fail again.

Well, wouldn't you know it, I went through 206 rounds (versus 4 yesterday) with only two FTFs and one FTE. The FTE and the first FTF were both during "rapid fire mags" and were certainly the result of limp wristing. The second FTF came somewhere around the 170-180 mark when the gun very dirty and starting to struggle, so that wasn't a mechanical fault.

So yeah, the gun appears to be working flawlessly; it was purely a user headspace error. Thanks for y'alls help!  :)

5. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    Well, at least now you know it wasn't a manufacturing defect. :D

6. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Don't use brake cleaner!! :eek:

Use a cleaner designed to be safe with polymer guns.

Otherwise you may damage the frame. :-/

Just trying to help. :)