New P3AT - need to fluff and buff

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rkrk, Apr 4, 2009.

1. rkrk

rkrk New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Hi. I have a new P3AT and have about 150 rounds through it after a good cleaning. Unfortunately I had quite a few FTFs. I am hopeful that a fluff and buff will take care of it.

The link in the VIP and FAQ section for the F & B is not operating so I am wondering if someone has a good link or some instructions on how to do it.

Thanks in advance,
    Rich

2. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    1. Break in period is about 200 rounds. You can expect problems like the ones you are having until the gun gets broken in.

2. F&Bs are awesome!

3. These little guns are finicky and like to be cleaned about every 50 rounds or so. They need lots of lube in order to work so I suggest using a graphite lube ($1.97) or grease on the slide rails instead of regular gun oil. Pocket carry leads to lint and and dust so it's a good idea to clean the gun every week or so even if you don't shoot it.

4. Some good advice: stick with FMJ ammo until your gun is broken in and then try different types of HP ammo to see which ones your gun likes the best and will shoot without any jams. Some P3ATs are picky about what they like to shoot and this can cause problems. Mine hates WWB so I practice with Rem UMC, for instance.

4. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Do it for a couple of reasons.

1. To smooth its operation as it should shorten the break-in period.
    2. As a result of 1. save breakin ammo and time.
    3. To get familiar with the internal operation of a semi if you are a revolver-type(like me).
    4. And to gain confidence in the weapon.

Except for learning to point shoot correctly it was the best 2 hours learning period ever with a handgun.

5. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    What the heck is WWB? I see this everywhere but don't have a clue what people at talking about.

6. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    I don't know guns real well but I know machines. In trying to analize the Kel-Tec 380 for its feed issues I've discovered a couple very interesting points.
    The Kel-Tec; being very short abd having a relatively long cartridge for the guns length has made for some unusual design features. The gun is too short for the slide to strip a cartridge from the magazine and deliver it directly to chamber. Instead, rounds are stripped from the magazine and all but bullet head first shoved into what is an esentually vertical start to a feed ramp. Deflection for upward movement into the chamber is radical and abrupt. Because of this, our little guns hate immediate departures in angle from the side of the bullet jacket to the hollow face. The lip of a wider hollow points that immediately give way abrupt straight bullets sides cause our guns two different problems. 1) they, for all intensive purposes, spike the early vertical part of the feed ramp and just hang their. 2) If the sharp edged hollow point abruptly deflects from this early vertical part of the S shaped feed ramp then it tends to bounce nose up with the slide trying to push the shell casing foward under the bullet and the flat face of the hollow point squares the upper lip of the chamber straigh on/face first and the case and bullt are jacked between the case lip and the slide and the bullet face and the top of the chamber.
    For these physics, our gun much prefers a rounder bullet face. An example of a wide face hollow point with abrupt edges to the jecket would be a Cor-Bon JHP. My gun hates this bullet. An example of a a rounded and nicer feeding bullet would be the Remington Golden Sable. I can feel it deflect rather harshly if I chamber the round without taking my hand off the slide but because it is shaped somewhat like the S-Channel that is the feed ramp it does indeed almost always run up the ramp and with its rounded nose, seldom smileys head first into the top of the chamber. Interestingly enough, the new Hornady Critical Defense round is also sharp edged and the hollow tip but the hollow board is much smaller than many and the cone of the bullet is much more conicle. My gun loves this round becasue the radical cone shape of the bullet is deflecting from the bottom of the feed ramp immediately upon contact and the nose, again being radically conicle, very noses into the lip of the chamber but rather drops right in everytime. If you want a feel of what I'm talking about, put numerous different kinds of rounds in a magazine and work the slide as rapidly as you can withoout taking your hand off the slide as the bullet chambers. You can feel the difference in how some rounds jump up the feed ramp so smoothly while you can feel other rounds hang up rather severly as the struggle to deflect from the first/vertical part of the feed ramp. Watch in the top of the chamber while you are doing this. You can actually see these different rounds behaving very differently as you chamber them (or as you jack them) in the chamber.

7. bh153dc

bh153dc New Member

Mohave-tec, WWB means Winchester White Box.

8. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    OMG. That was just too simple. DOH.
    Thanks a bunch.

9. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Yes. These guns are finicky for all the reasons you mentioned and that's why a sharper nose cone works better in the majority of them. Mine likes Rem UMC for practice and I carry Mag Tech HPs because they feed nicely and have a decent rep. The trick is to find what works for you and the gun and stick with it.

10. rkrk

rkrk New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Great stuff! Thanks for the replies.  Will doing a F&B have any effect on the factory warranty?

thanks again

11. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Well Torrent, I think you are right. Funny tho; with the ammo supply the way its been I've been pretty tight with letting what ammo I have fly. When I first started my hunt for 380 rounds 2 months ago I lucked upon regulat 'ol Remington 380 JHP so I bought 250 rounds. It was then that I started watching how rounds would chamber in this little gun. It was from watching this that prompted me to pounce on 250 rounds of Golden Saber when it showed up at Cabelas for 10 minutes a couple weeks ago. Chambering both these rounds works very well for me but I haven't shot any yet. (I've only put 47 rounds thru the gun so far...the box a got when I bought the gun.) I just found Remington UMC 380 on Cabelas yesterday. These are the first target rounds I've found for this gun and I bought 500 rounds. I fully expect they will chamber very well and I am thrilled to finally be able to shoot this gun...not that I've got something to put thru it.
    BTW, the box I bought with the gun was PMC target rounds and I didn't think I was ever going to get thru my CCW qualifying. LOL.

12. Loganspawn

Loganspawn New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Thanks allot was looking all over found it last month and now could not get back to the fluff+buff pics thanks once again.

13. 12smile

12smile New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    google goldenloki.

My first gen never got a f&B but the finger extension cured the fte's

14. Cascadedad

Cascadedad New Member

May 28, 2008
  15. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Excellent post Mohave-tec. That may be the longest paragraph I've ever seen but good analysis of the chambering of different rounds.

16. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Thank you. I was in a hurry as to not lose my train of thought. I'll break up the paragraphs and use my spell checker next time. LOL

17. shurhouse

shurhouse New Member

Apr 18, 2009
    [quote author=12smile link=1238882289/0#12 date=1240466181]google goldenloki.

A big +1 for goldenloki

18. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Polish the feed ramp and the chamber and I guarantee it'll fix 90% of the feed/ejection problems. Both my and my friends 380's have shot many, many rounds without a single failure to feed or failure to eject. I've shot Hornady reloads, Remington FMJ'S, Remington hollowpoints, Federal Hollowpoints, Winchester Silvertips and unknown reloads and have never had a SINGLE failure of any kind. I disassemble my 380 and clean it every time I take it to the range.

Copterdrvr

19. Loganspawn

Loganspawn New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    First 150 rounds I had a FTE just about every clip. After cleaning, Thats all nothing extra I went back today and shot 180 rounds mag-tec, blasers and criticail D not one problem! Now if next time I get the same results I will feel more secure in my backup. I have Sig's for main carry and they always work. Hoping for same with p3at once its broke in I will let you know when I get another 500 rounds through.

20. Runcible

Runcible New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    This is a really good summary. I own a PF-9 and bought a P3AT yesterday (at The Nation's Gun show in VA) for summer carry. Haven't fired it yet but I've already noticed that the Federal Premium "Hydro Shok" cartridges tend not to chamber properly after racking the slide. I'm thinking maybe the best idea may be to use full metal jacket (FMJ) rounds instead of jacketed hollow points (JHP)?