new P3AT jamming

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by odpad, Jul 20, 2008.

1. odpad

odpad New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    I have a brand new P3AT that keeps jamming and having ejection failures.

On day one, I fired 50 rounds and it jammed every third to sixth round.

After cleaning it and oiling it up possibly too much, I fired another 70 rounds through it. At first it jammed every seventh to tenth round.

But by round 40 on day 2, it was jamming every second or third round.

I've tried three types of ammo so far (remington 380, and 2 others) and they all have the same problem.

On day 2, I took special care to make sure I was not limp wristing the thing and even had another guy fire it who made sure he was not limp wristing it either.

Is it time to send it in, or should I put a total of 200-300 rounds through it first?

Thanks

2. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    You can do the "fluff and buff" yourself or send it in.

I was having the same kind of problems with mine and didn't want to spend the money on a Dremel so I sent it in. I had it back in a month.

Will post a range report when I can.

3. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    First, get a 2mm or 5/64" Allen wrench and tighten your button head screw that holds down the extractor spring. If it is loose, the gun won't work.

If it is loose, it will get loose again, unless you put a drop of BLUE LockTight on it.

BTW: You can't stop a gun from working by using "too much" oil on it.

rcmodel

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
  5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Try grease, especially on the hammer face and barrel lug

also, with the slide off, check the extractor tip and tension to see if it round securly at near battery position and as you progessive slide it down .

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    OP. Have you considered that it might be you? Did anyone else shoot it? What other weapons are you experience shooting? Am not saying it is but trying to cover all possible bases and get all the info out on the table?

-Scott

7. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    He did say he had another guy fire it with the same results.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    He did say he had another guy fire it with the same results.[/quote]

Wow - my bad and never mind... I completely missed that paragraph when I first read it. I guess that base is covered.

-Scott

9. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I would give it a severe fluff-n-buff and try RC's tip to see if that helps.

What type of ammo are you using? FMJ is better when trying to break in a new pistol since the feed ramp isn't as smooth as it will be after a few hundred rounds have been pushed up it.

10. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    That happened to me when mine was new. I was shooting Wolf...big mistake. Since I started shooting better name brand ammo, I haven't had that problem. With mine, it had to be the Wolf ammo.

11. srk-31

srk-31 New Member

Feb 16, 2007
    I had the same problem with my first gen p3at. Did the fluff and buff, but still fte'd every next to last round. >:(

Finally I sent it home to kel-tec, and they replaced with a new gun, same serial number, and shipped back to me within a month. No questions asked. Second pistol was flawless. Never a hiccup and I felt completely comfortable carrying it. Guess it's possible with anything to get a lemon, but KT stands behind its products and will make it right for you.