New P3AT has interesting machining marks...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by evi1joe, Oct 28, 2007.

1. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    So my new P3AT, parkerized (#JJG..), has these nice little machining marks on the front of the slide (around the barrel and recoil-rod hole). It looks like it's finger-print depth machinging. Anyway, my blued P3 (#JFY..) doesn't have these -- also, the recoil guide rod hole is VERY thick (thicker than a dime) compared to the blued P3. Anyone else noticed these machine marks on the front of their P3s? Is it a parkerized thing? I wasn't aware of any changes from the JF models to the JJ models, but who knows.

PICS coming soon!

2. Powerkicker

Powerkicker New Member

May 31, 2007
    My P3at has alot of machining marks on the slide serrations...No big deal.

3. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I have a new Parked 3AT also (JJBxx) no machining marks on the slide...but I am pleased to see the MUCH thicker guide rod hole compared to my older blue 3AT(which never has "peened" either. I wouldn't worry about the machine marks :cool:

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    In addition to their unique, minuscule size and weight, these are inexpensive, mass produced (1000 per week) pistols.  Kel-tec sells a blued one, last I heard, at at less than $200.  At this level, you are not always buying a finely finished weapon.  The machine marks vary as to location and depth, probably depending upon the age of the tooling blades when the gun was made.  Marks like yours have zero effect on function.  In fact, they add character.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

5. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Re: New P3AT has interesting GROOVES...

I don't think I'm explaining it right. THESE AREN'T BAD looking marks, these are NICE GROOVES, very thin, in a circular-finger-print-like depth/pattern. It's neat looking whereas my older P3 (JF...) doesn't have these cool indentions on the front.

6. Offduty

Offduty New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Let me help you out, Joe. I have the same marks on mine. It doesn't bother me, but is pretty unique. Here is a picture of mine.

Someone please tell me how to post pictures so I can help Joe out.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  8. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I went to take/post pics, but the batteries were dead. Charging now. Yeah, they're nice looking marks--and the overall quality seems to be a grade above my first P3 (though it's been flawless and is being sent to Jack F. this week for nickel-plating).

9. Offduty

Offduty New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Alright, thanks to TXCajun, I'm trying this again. Please no comments about how dirty my P3AT is [smiley=tongue.gif]

[​IMG]

10. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Yep. That's the marks. Although your guide rod looks bigger than mine (is that an aftermarket one?). I'll post some other pics tomorrow...I guess it's just the way the steel came--as I can't see any reason for them purposefully doing it.

11. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Mine has those same markings, but not quite as deep.

12. Offduty

Offduty New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    No, it's not aftermarket. I bought the gun from a dealer new (unless they put an aftermarket in, which I would doubt.
    We may find out later on that the anti-gun movement has started putting "fingerprint verification" on our guns. You had better get a metal file and start trying to remove them. LOL

13. azmrb

azmrb New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Next thing you know they will want to start fingerprinting our guns ;D

14. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    For a couple of dollars, Jack will remove those grooves before plating. Tool marks stand out more on a chrome or nickel plated pistol than a black one. I would highly recommend removing them before plating.

Wilson – who’s big on appearance ;)

15. [​IMG]

Two of my three have been "fingerprinted".

I will happily trade my unfingerprinted slide

[​IMG]

for that "thicker than a dime" slide!

shh......     Don't tell Brady Camp et.al.  that KT has a finger printing method for sub $200 guns!