New P3AT Hard to find brass

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by john_gerrard, May 23, 2009.

1. john_gerrard

john_gerrard New Member

May 4, 2009
    Hi everyone.  I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and I have read everything that I could find about the p3at. Just picked mine up this Thursday. Before I even got the gun I was on a mission to find ammo for it. I was lucky enough to find a box of Winchester fmj and a box of Hornandy critical defence and I also have a very good friend how gave me about 75 rounds of hollow points that he reloaded.

Right out of the box (because I couldn't wait) the gun only had one ftf out of about 50 rounds that were a mixture of all of the ammo mentioned above. One of the Hornandy critical defence failed to fire, but the p3at fed and ejected everything without a flaw.

I have read all of the articales about the fluff and buff but upon examining my new kel-tec the feeding ramp was pretty well finished from the factory and after about 50 rounds of assorted ammo it seems to work fine. I will do a little fluff and buff when I get the time.

My only question is where do all of the ejected shells go?  With my other pistols I can pretty much look down to my right and find the ejected casings but the pt380 must put them in orbit, I could only find about 5 empty cases out of 50.  

I must say that I am very pleased with the   pt380 and also very happy to have found this great web sight. I can tell that you all are going to be a wealth of knowledge.

A happy holiday to all and please pay tribute to those that have given us the freedom to be here.  John

2. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Re: New P3AT Hard to feed hollow points

What do you think those rings around Jupiter are made of :D

3. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009

I recently bought a metal detector to take with me to the range (actually a hay field) so I could find more of my brass. I found my 380 brass about 15 feet behind and 12 feet to the right (as looking down range) from my normal firing position. They were spread over a large area centered on the point listed above.

That said, I recall that the first few rounds I fired from my P3AT hit my head. So, I'd say look anywhere from right behind you to 15-20 feet away.

Good luck and welcome to KTOG.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    post split by me ;)

5. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008

;D

No kidding. I would agree with about 15 feet back and around 15 feet to the right on average. This stuff sure flys out and it is tricky to find. I lose alot more brass then I desire... >:(

6. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    It may look funny, but I still think a sun umbrella is one of the easiest solutions. Stick the sucker in the ground and shoot with it just off your right rear shoulder.

7. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    If you simply limp wrist it a bit, it will bounce most of the brass off your forehead  ::)

8. timewrench

timewrench New Member

May 9, 2009
    I managed to find a box of brass cased Blazer the other day. Went to the gun club to shoot and have the same problem with finding brass. To make things worse the club has a covered range so the brass hits the overhang then goes anywheres from over my shoulder, to the top of my head to in front of me. Manage to loose way too much. But I have been finding 32 brass. Maybe I should buy a P32!

Tom

9. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA I'm so gonna try that! ;D

I was shooting this past weekend and my friend thought he was safely behind me to the right. The second case hit him in the face, lol. He was fine so I commenced laughing at him while he moved over. By far my best shot to date!

10. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I installed the Wolff 13 pound recoil springs in my P3AT and it cut the distance it throws the empties from about 20 feet to about 6-8 feet. The gun is also more pleasant to shoot.

11. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    thats why I have only found 2 out of 50