New P3AT Hard to feed hollow points

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RPM_64, May 23, 2009.

1. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Hi, newbie here with his first KelTec, a new P3AT. I notice that when I chamber a hollow point, the slide and or the ramp catches the round and actually binds and mars the brass case. I can get it to feed but I can feel the resistance before it hangs up.
    When chambering FMJ rounds there is no problem at all.

Am I missing something?
    I have been carrying GLOCKS for the last few years, and before that COLTS. Both of them were without issue so this is a bit new for me.

I really like the ability to carry this little .380 in my pocket and want to be sure it will do whats needed if ever called upon.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Several things to consider:

1.  If the gun is still new, feed problems with JHP are not terribly uncommon.  Prudent owners shoot FMJ for the first 100+ rounds (break-in) and only then start to test SD ammo.

2.  If the gun is already broken in, try some different rounds.  It is not uncommon for these guns to prefer one ammo over another.

3.  If the gun only balks on loading the first round (by hand) but then reliably feeds the remaining rounds when shooting, don't sweat it.  It is not unusual to have to tap the back of the slide on the first round chambered, again, especially with a new gun or with certain rounds.

4.  Anything you can do to reduce friction can help.  Polish the slide rails, hammer interface barrel lugs, chamber and especially the feed ramp. .
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/fullrp.htm

5.   Make sure the gun is properly cleaned and lubed.
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome to KTOG and congrats on your new gun!  The P3AT is a great little gun for CCW and far more accurate that it needs to be.  Having said that, it is a finicky little outfit and needs a break-in period of 200 rounds (recommended).  The problem you are describing is very common because the feed ramp hasn't become polished smooth that comes from breaking it in.  Here are some tips to get you started:

1.  Do a site search for "Fluff and Buff".  With .380 ammo in short supply these days doing a F&B will go a long way in saving money.
    2.  These little guns like a lot of lube.  I use Gunslick graphite lube on the slide rails and gun oil on everything else.  Some here like to use grease on the rails.  It matters not to me.
    3.  Your P3AT will need to be cleaned about every 50 rounds or so.  Remember I said they are finicky. ;)
    4.  Find a carry ammo that your gun likes and stick with it.  Each gun is different and what works well in mine may not function perfectly in yours.  

Coming from a background of Glocks this may seem to be a lot of trouble but for the money spent and for what the gun is designed to be it's really not all that bad.  KT's customer service is top notch and anyone who has dealt with them will back me up on that.  Enjoy your new gun and post pics and a range report if you can.

ETA: Dang TxC, you type faster than I do.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1243097243]This Thread[/link]

5. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    LOL... OK I just thought it was odd. Thanks.
    I'm reading the links you provided. EXCELLENT information there, I really appreciate the guidance.
    Thanks again

6. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    :cool: You guys are just waaayyyy helpful around here.  :cool:   Thanks it's much appreciated.

Off topic replies have been moved to [link=http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1243097243]This Thread[/link][/quote]

7. john_gerrard

john_gerrard New Member

May 4, 2009
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. John

8. Biker_Jim

Biker_Jim New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    When I first got my P3AT it wouldn't feed hollow points manually. Took it to my GS, he checked it out and convinced my to only use FMJ because some guns just couldn't handle hollow points reliably. Sounded kinda goofy to me. Then I started reading this forum and got educated real quick. First step was "Fluff and Buff". I polished the heck out of it and then then I read all the threads on racking the slide. Guess I was afraid I'd break something if I racked it too hard. Somebody said you can't rack it near as hard as it racks when shooting. Now when loading I just pull that sucker back hard and let 'er fly. Haven't had one single FTL since. She is a finicky little lady and needs a lot of attention but still responds when you show your authority. ;) Be tuff but gentle! Don't forget "clean, lube, shoot, clean, lube, shoot!"

9. hotrodchevrolet

hotrodchevrolet New Member

May 24, 2009
    hornady critical defense is a jhp bullet with a plastic ball in it, which has fed perfectly in my 1st Gen P3AT.

10. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    You could check out "PowerBall" ammo.

11. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated. ;)

12. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I use Hornady in my other firearms and will DEFINITELY look for some now!

13. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    I had the same problem for first 200 rounds,then seemed to go away so I guess there is truth to the break in period..also I did a fluff and buff which I got the how to from the fellas here..My suggestion is do a F&B and break it in with round nose bullets then try again after a couple of boxes round nose..Think more than half the guys here had same problem.. ;)

14. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    >hornady critical defense is a jhp bullet with a plastic ball in it, which has fed perfectly

+1, sirs. Made a reliable defensive weapon of my p380; improved accuracy, less recoil, more bullet expansion, and it knows how to climb the feed ramp without a hitch.

Now to just find some more. :-/

15. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I just purchased the starfire hp's. I have not loaded any yet due to lack of primers. I have punched out the old primers and seated the starfire hp to the recommended length. I put three in the clip and racked the slide and had no problem with the slide chambering properly. I think these will be O.K. when I get them loaded. I have about 300-400 rounds sthrough it and did the f & b and even took a little off the end of the ramp to help stop the smileys. Good Luck. Tom :)