New P3AT HARD CHROME Questions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Les_Miserables, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Les_Miserables

Les_Miserables New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hi, I am new to the forum and new to the P3AT, but I went out and picked up a hard chromed version the other day. I am not totally unfamiliar with firearms, but I have a few questions (that I'm sure you have all heard a million times, so for this, I apologize) before I take it to the range.

I know I need to field strip and clean it - so what do you guys recommend as for cleaning/lube products? I have some Breakfree CLP and some RemOil laying around, and also an old jar of RIG grease (maybe for the rails?) Also, is there a tutorial or a guide to field stripping the P3AT (I am not the most mechanically inclined person, the thought of attempting a fluff and buff scares the living daylights out of me)? I mean is there a video I can watch or PDF I can read?

Also, this may be a stupid question, but I noticed there is some space between frame/grip and the slide/barrel towards the muzzle. What I mean to say, is that you can see a little space through the middle of the gun. I'm sorry that I cannot explain this better. While this space may be perfectly normal, I notice that when I rack the slide, I can push the grip/frame part and it will move up towards the slide/barrel a little bit. Does that make sense, and is this normal?

I appreciate any help, and please know that reading this forum helped convince me to pony up for this little gun, so thanks.

2. kptaylor

kptaylor New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I just picked up a hard chrome P-3AT, too! (And am new to the site although I've been reading the past week.)

Click on TecWerks at the top of the page and look for the lubrication guide to answer some of your questions.

Also, here's a video on YouTube showing how easy it is to field strip the gun:

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=1SkU2eDPBes] Click[/ame]

3. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    A little better lube guide here,
    http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm
    The gap is normal.
    Remember to place a finger on each side of assm pin and apply pressure  while removing it so as not to pop the assm pin spring out of place,not a good thing.
    Read around and use the search function , it can be very helpful.
    Werlcome on board

4. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Your description sounds perfectly normal. Most of us use a light coat of grease on the slide and frame rails, hammer slide and barrel lug. I use Militec or CLP on the other parts, trigger / hammer assembly. CLP on the outside for rust prevention.

5. Les_Miserables

Nov 28, 2007
    Guys, thanks for the help and pointing me in the right direction. I am just now sitting down (three weeks later) with my KelTec and cannot get the thing field stripped for the life of me.

I cannot believe that you are supposed to take the gun apart using the method the person in the video that was posted does. I have been trying to do this all night, and cannot hold the damn slide back to save my life. I am using, or rather attempting to use, a snap cap for removal of the assembly pin. Is it supposed to be this hard? It is a second gen hard chrome, if that helps. I have a Glock 17 and a Sig 239 and 229 and am stunned that this gun is so difficult to get apart.

Any tips in getting that assembly pin out? It seems like the slide has to be held all the way back in order for the recess to meet the pin. Do I really have to hold the slide back of a little tiny gun, with one hand, using only my thumb (in the ejection port) all while using the other hand to frantically pry at the pin, only to have my thumb mutilated. I know these aren't full size Glocks, but something has got to give, right? Do I need to just switch to a 642?

Thanks in advance.

6. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I just got a hard chrome p3at as well. I'm not sure I had to hold the slide back to get the assembly pin out. I pretty much simply pulled it right out. I didn't use a cartridge, I used a pocketknife blade and then I think a screwdriver, but it came out without a great deal of difficulty.

The manual I have doesn't show anything about pulling the slide back. So I don't think I'm doing it wrong. Any comments from others?

7. remf

remf New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Just amemba to belay the plastic around the pin - or you will fight the battle of the bulge.

8. Les_Miserables

Nov 28, 2007
    Can you explain that in more depth, I'm not sure what that means. I am about to give up on this thing, but I know I'm just having some sort of weird hang up that is probably easy to fix. If not, 642 or PM9 maybe?

I have racked the slide maybe 20 times, and it is hard as heck to do. Makes me feel like some women in my life who always complain that "the slide is too hard to pull back."

Thanks again.

9. Les_Miserables

Nov 28, 2007
    JohnW: Interesting, I think I may just try that. The video link posted in the early replies up there shows a crazy technique for getting the pin out. Check it out; I can't believe that guy makes it work, and that it looks easy when he does it.

10. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    it's perfectly normal for the slide to be difficult to pull back. for that matter, i don't much care for the slide on mine, either.

remf - are you saying that a guy needs to trim out that extra plastic? cos if you are, then i need to myself.

don't give up on it, i pull the slide back slightly and use the blade of my pocket knife to pull the slide pin out. due to the extra plastic it's a little difficult but not unreasonable.

spence

11. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I haven't done anything with the extra plastic; but it does make it a bit more difficult to get the pin out.

I think that's probably a good thing...

12. Les_Miserables

Nov 28, 2007
    Which angle are you guys attacking the pin from? I go from the slide, as the plastic semi circle seems to block any access from the frame side. I still can't get the dang thing.

13. remf

remf New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    I use a small screwdriver - (1/8" blade - with some black tape on the shaft to avoid leaving pecker marks on the slide.) You can start the pin out a bit with a fingernail - then press on the plastic around the pin with two fingers to avoid bulging the material outward. Pry the pin out - it might be a little stiff, but go for it - you really can't hurt it - there's a little spring holding it in. The spring will stay where it is. You don't HAVE to have the slide pulled back, but a little (3/8"?) can help relieve the barrel lug's pressure on the pin. Hope this helps.
    Uh - unload first! ;)

14. Les_Miserables

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks remf, I'm going to follow those instructions. Thanks for all of the fast responses guys; awesome board you got here.

15. remf

remf New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    NO! It's extremely BAD LUCK to remove any polymer from that area!! :)

16. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    If you pull the slide back slightly, it takes the pressure off the dissasembly pin.Find a small piece of plastic.or a chunk of rubber that will fit in the ejection port.Pull it back a bit insert to hold slide open a bit and she,ll come apart slicker than s__t. As previously posted hold your fingers along the sides of the pin to keep that pesky spring from coming out of place...

17. Les_Miserables

Nov 28, 2007
    Cap: that also sounds like an awesome idea. Any ideas on where to find a chunk of rubber or plastic in those dimensions?

I actually thought of this, sort of. I put one of my cleaning brushes in there tip facing down, the diameter of the brush wasn't enough to keep it open, and my next thickest brush is too wide.

18. Cap

Cap New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Dig around your junk drawyer,Im using an old small plastic handled paint brush,holds the slide open about a third of the way.Works great...

19. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    This is all excellent advice.

Have you gotten it by now?

(I'm betting Les is no longer Miserable... ;D)

20. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    ooooookay! hell if i knew, wasn't worried about it until i misread this thread... ;D