NEW P3AT HAMMER BLOCK DO YOU NEED IT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nu_Agin_Shooter, Sep 17, 2008.

1. With all of the buzz and threads on the NEW IMPROVED HAMMER BLOCK....

I was curious.....how many here thought they needed it BEFORE it was available?

I am guessing I have fired at least 1000 rounds from P3AT's and never found short stroking to be a problem, and I am not interested in the NEW IMPROVED hammer block.  Mine AINT BROKE and I don't want to fix it.

So the poll is really about how many think they NEED  to FIX their old obsolete hammer block?

2. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Since I've never had an issue with the old style block I voted no. I don't think I've ever had one of these short stroke. Must be doing something wrong. :-/ :D ;D

3. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I have short stroked mine and yes, I did think we needed the upgrade. My opinion is it's easy to remember to fully release the trigger in a casual situation but maybe not so when trying to get off multiple fast shots in a high stress situation. Why take even a remote chance when we have a way to avoid it?

4. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    Obviously this is not an issue with a 2 gen P3? Correct?

5. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Actually it is, the new hammer block design is only a few months old.

As for me, I started shooting with double-action revolvers and learned to make the trigger reset fully. I don't think I've short stroked my P3-AT, but I had two FTFs on some Wolf ammo (I don't plan on shooting that stuff again), so I'm not 100% sure. This was before I sent the gun in to get a replacement slide because of "peening".

When my P3-AT came back from Kel-Tec, it had the new hammer block installed though; I think they replaced the grip because it was from an era where they were prone to cracking near the rear frame pin.

My P-32 does not have the new design. I haven't short stroked it either.

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    P-32: CJQ00
    P-3AT: JRW00
    PF-9: R9800

7. HET45

HET45 New Member

Mar 6, 2005
    The hammer block change was made as a possible result of Kel Tec lawyers or maybe requests from customers or maybe a result of competition but what ever the reason, it is an improvement that YOU can do yourself without sending it in if you have any mechanical at all.

Under a stress condition, it may be a bacon saver.

8. tsquare

tsquare New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    I voted yes, and here is why. I carry the P3AT in my pocket ALL THE TIME! I usually ave my Glock 23 IWB also. With the reset as it is with the Glock, I have tended to short stroke my P3AT.

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I have not taken the pole because though I don't NEED one I do WANT one. Like the previous poster I also carry a Glock (26) from time-to-time and feel that the closer the two triggers are to each other the better it could be for me should the need arise to use either of these carry guns.

Take care...

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Not a big issue for me as I have never short-stroked one after quite a lot of rounds through several P3s.  So, obviouisly I don't "need it".  I may convert one some day more out of curisosity but I am in no hurry.

11. mopac

mopac New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    By short stroking the lever-do you you mean short overtravel after shooting?

12. KarlSG1

KarlSG1 New Member

Sep 1, 2008
  13. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    My Serial# is JSP63. Am I safe to assume that I have the new block?

Thanks
    Craig

14. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Never short stroked mine in 5+ years. I might decide to change it sometime just for something to do.

15. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    In theory yes, but in practice as to how new parts have made their way into the KT system I would not assume so. Many times when there has been a change over we have seen overlaps of new and old parts as the old parts got used up. As they started in the JR... series (and JS is after JR) you should be safe but I'd test it out first (EMPTY GUN EMPTY GUN EMPTY GUN and then EMPTY GUN first).

-Scott