New P3AT FTE  and smiley

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mattlikesbikes, Nov 19, 2008.

1. mattlikesbikes

mattlikesbikes New Member

Nov 17, 2008
    New P3AT FTE  and smiley

This is my first post and a little long I think so I apologize in advance.
    I just picked up a P3AT. I have had a P-32  and a P-11 in the past so I am not new to Kel-Tecs but I have never had any problem with any of my previous KT’s

Went t o the range yesterday and bought some Federal American Eagle target rounds there to use. The first two magazines ran fine after that I would have a FTE pretty much every shot. And The round below the FTE would be jammed up on the feed ramp causing a smiley .They did not have any other .380 rounds at the range so I tried a magazine of my Winchester SXT defensive rounds which ran fine no problems. I do not think I am limp wristing.  I took the gun home cleaned and lubed it and I am going to try some Remington UMC at lunch today.

I noticed that the P3at was a little light on lube and I also noticed a knick on the Frame in the grip handle I attached a pic and was wondering if this can cause any problems.

Also when I chamber the STX it some times will get hung up on the feed ramp and I have to rack the slide again. Is this caused because of the nose of the round?

I also noticed after picking up my empties  one of the shells From the SXT was split.  Maybe I never paid too much attention to my brass before but I do not recall seeing a shell cracked. Is this normal

Thanks in advance

Matt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Re: New P3AT FTE  and smiley

Try various brands of ammo and see if smileys are just with the AE.

Regarding the split case-  if you field strip the gun and take out the barrel- then slip a round into the chamber-  you can see how much of the cases is UNSUPPORTED at the bottom.

All of my spent DPX cases have a MAJOR bulge.  It could be the SXT brass is a bit thinner than others, or maybe a "hotter" loading.  Thus the split case.

You can also search ktog for the fluff and buff and look at that portion about polishing the feed ramp.  That may help some with the smiley problem.

BTW- Welcome to KTOG!

3. RV

RV New Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Re: New P3AT FTE  and smiley

As to nick in frame, this is normal for these guns.
    I lightly filed off a small amoung of aluminum there so that no sharp edges formed. Works fine.

4. mattlikesbikes

Nov 17, 2008

Thanks.For the info

Well I went to the range at lunch and Put 50 Rounds of Remington and 50 rounds of American eagle through it and ¾ of those I had a FTE it Shot the SXT fine. I called up KT and they are going to send me a new extractor. Hopefully that fixes the Problem I might do a F&B also but I am going to wait for the extractor first. I can tell you my hand is hurting from those 100 rounds.

5. steve24

steve24 New Member

Aug 20, 2008

Welcome to the KTOG.  You'll find lots of helpful info here.

I had the exact same problem with FTEs as you're having.  It happened with different brands of ammo, and sometimes almost every other casing would FTE.

KT sent me a new extractor, but it didn't really help.  So, I wound up sending my P3AT back to the factory for them to repair.  I hope to get it back any day now (it's been gone about 3 wks), and hopefully it will work like it should!  ;)

6. denny45acp

denny45acp New Member

Aug 22, 2008

HI All,
    I just bought a box of PMC-380 for both my P-3AT and Berssa. Not any ftf or fte. I like to shoot the kal-tec  with a glove on my shooting hand at the range. It cuts down on the aspren I need the next day. :)/me

7. mattlikesbikes

Nov 17, 2008

A little update.
    I received my new extractor in the mail today from Kel-Tec and the extractor part is a little longer then the original one (I should of taken some pictures to better explain) Hopefully If I can break away from work at lunch tomorrow I will give it a try at the range.

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

new topic reply has been moved to [link=http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1227577691]This Thread[/link]

9. flaregun

flaregun New Member

Nov 5, 2008

The first thing is don't get discouraged, mine was also real bad with certain ammo types. I ended up polishing everything and sticking with rounds with an overall shorter length. Mine just does not like the longer hollow points and I am not wanting to shorten the feed ramp just yet.