New p3at for me.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by de8212, Dec 18, 2010.

1. de8212

de8212 New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Finally got around to getting my first Kel tec. Got it yesterday so I haven't had any time to test it out. Going to look at some older threads and hit up google but if anyone has any valuable input I would appreciate it.

Any good tutorials on breaking it down?

Also picked up the Crimson Trace laser at the same time. Seemed like it might be a good idea for certain situations. Also picked up 50 rounds of American Eagle ammo.

I went with the Nemesis holster because I had read some decent reviews. It seems OK but maybe it just needs to break in. Not sure I like it alot though.

How about IWB holsters? Anyone got one they could recommend? Preferably at a low price. I've stretched the banker pretty thin so I need something inexpensive.

Thanks for any info.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

check out the FAQ/VIP post. in the threads are links to past post and even other websites

the best advice is to
    field strip,
    clean it good,
    look for any burrs, machining marks, or mold flashing that needs to be cut away,
    put a dab of grease on the rails, the hammer face, the barrel lug and a drop or two every where else
    THEN shoot it ;D

3. clint_lnl

clint_lnl New Member

May 30, 2010
    N C
    when I got mine , I found everything I needed in the FAQ here. great info there

you did not say if its new or used.
    my 1st one was used (LGS) and it was nothing but trouble, stove piped and FTE.
    so tooking it back to the LGS 2 days later and traded on a new P3AT and Perfect 250 + rounds.
    nice thing about the LGS they gave me full credit toward the new one.

4. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    be careful these little guns will grow on you and then you want more of them ;)

5. Flight_Chief

Flight_Chief New Member

Nov 26, 2010
    I am brand new to Kel Tec and purchased one of these little 380's and I am very impressed. Eats everything: round, flat, or hollow point first time, every time for 350 rounds. Finally a reliable little self defense tool that can go everywhere with great ease. While a marginal caliber, some of the ammo is pretty good and it will be there if you need it. This appears to be the best micro 380 on the market.

Another interesting point is that I was under the impression that Kel Tec was kind of junk. This is not the case at all. The Kel Tec folks use innovation, good materials and good craftsmanship to make very serviceable and lightweight weapons. The moderate price is a nice additional feature.

6. ksmoose

ksmoose New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Flight Chief, I couldn't agree more. I am on my 5th KelTec ( PF9 this 1) and not a problem with any. I think the bad rap came from years back, just as it has for Taurus and Charter Arms and Rossi. I fell very confident with my P3AT of PF9, which ever I am carrying. Won't get into the Taurus's

7. de8212

de8212 New Member

Dec 18, 2010
    just posting a quick update.

Finally got a chance to shoot it. Put 42 rounds of American Eagle (made by Federal, I think) 95 gr. down the pipe. Had 1 FTE and 1 FTF so it wasn't terrible. Probably not as you experts recommend because that was straight out of the box. So, now I really need to find the guide to break it down and clean it before i go out again.

Only other issue I had was it took some skin off the back of my hand (between thumb and 1st finger) but that's my fault. I need to learn to hold this gun appropriately.

Couldn't test out the laser because it was day light.

Oh, and the guy at the shop sold me the wrong holster. It should have been one for the p3at w/laser but it's for the p3at w/out laser. Still fits decent but I will probably get something else down the road.

8. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Clearwater, Florida
    I just picked up another second gen P-3AT, almost new (one box down the pipe) with an armalaser, belt clip, and pinky extension. Can't wait to finish the breakin at the range next week ;D ;D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It is true that the early Kel-tecs were rougher finished guns that more often than current production, required some fluff & buff (polishing) and/or servicing from the factory.  They are much improved these days but especially among the old-timers, that reputation is still repeated.  Another factor is that, IMHO, some gun dealers bad mouth KT to steer customers toward more expensive guns with more room for higher profit margains.