New P3AT, first time to the range...problems, etc.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RepeatDefender, Nov 26, 2007.

1. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Hi all, just got a new P3AT (blue w/ black grip). Took it to the range on Saturday morning. I also had a couple of other handguns to shoot.

Loaded up a mag with Winchester WB .380, fired 'em off. I was satisfied with hitting a 12" target at 10yds with 6 of 7 rounds. The last round failed to feed on this first mag and when I manually ejected it, it had a crease on the bottom edge of the bullet.

Loaded up a second mag, same exact results as first mag. Happy with the accuracy, frustrated by the same failure to feed. Bullet on 7th round scarred the same place.

Loaded up a third mag, same results again.

Any suggestions/cures? And is there any way to lessen the abuse that this gun puts on one's hand during break-in period?

It won't bother me to shoot it if I ever need to, but it is very uncomfortable to shoot. It makes my trigger finger numb. The recoil is stiff, but that is to be expected from such a light/small pistol.

2. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Re: New P3AT, first time to the range...problems,

My guess on the FTFeeds are a "weak" mag spring. I say weak because it has only the last round pressing on it, which only compresses it a little. Result is less force to help the bullet up the feed ramp. The "crease" on the round is from it hitting on, and getting stuck on, the feed ramp.

This is fairly normal with many guns, as if the feed ramp is rough or the gun just not broken in, the light inertia from the spring just isn't enough to overcome the resistance of the feed ramp.

Because it's only happening on the last round, that's my SWAG. After a break in period, this should go away, as firing the weapon will smooth out the ramp.

Or you could do a F&B.

AS far as reducing punishment, several options exist. A Plus one mag extension, or Bersa mag extension, will give you more gripping area. All the P3-AT mags in the house wear the Plus one. A Hogue Handall Jr slip on grip also helps, as does wearing shooting gloves.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!!

3. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004

Sometimes a missing ejector (part# 115) can cause last round problems, so be sure to make sure it’s still there.

I find that finger extensions make the P-3AT more comfortable, especially during break-in while parts are wearing smooth.

(click picture to see finger extensions in a P-3AT)
    [​IMG]
    Wilson – who’s big hand need a bit of help :)

4. RepeatDefender

Nov 12, 2007

I have a Hogue Handall Jr. and it doesn't fit. Am I doing something wrong?

5. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006

Make sure you have the Handall Jr, and not the Handall.

If it's too big, it's the Handall you have, and need the Jr.

If it's too snug, and you can't get it on, then here's what you do:

Boil some water, or at least get it VERY hot. Drop the grip in and let it soak for a few minutes. The heat will make the rubber more malleable. Then you take the grip out, dry it as best you can (quickly) and work it on to the gun. Be quick, but careful. I took too long the first time, and it ripped, as I tried to force it.

That's all in the instructions, but we all know how good most of us are at reading them....

;)

6. RepeatDefender

Nov 12, 2007

I'm pretty sure I have the Jr. It only has one finger groove, right?

If so, then it was too big for my P3AT. It would slip on without any resistance.

7. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

Just to clarify - drop the Hogue grip, NOT the gun grip in the boling water... ;D

I too found the Houge Jr too loose. Check out the aglaser pads, grip wrap for a much smoother, nicer way to go (IMNSHO). I don't like the way the Houge tells you where you have to put your fingers.

http://www.aglaser.com/grips/index.html

And your feeding is probably a combination of multiple factors being right on the edge of performance including the mag spring and the rough feedramp. Polishing the feedramp will help a lot, as will greasing all the right areas of the gun and shooting a few hundred more rounds. Getta glove

This is not the best picture, but you can get that feedramp mirror smooth:
    [​IMG]

-Scott

8. Re: New P3AT, first time to the range...problems,

Welcome to KTOG Repeat.

Go to the tec-works section and find the Fluff and Buff information.

It will explain the feed ramp work and a few other ideas that will help improve function.

The grip extenders may also help.

9. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004

Nice picture adamsesq! I see that your P-3AT was working so well that it didn’t need even a minor barrel-hood modification.

Wilson – who’s occasionally overboard on that BHM, so he can shoot weak hand and not worry about limpwristing :)

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Speaking of limpwristing, problems related to the last round only can be an indicator. This is when the gun is at it's lightest and is most susceptible to limpwristing. I would doubt a weak mag spring, especially in a new mag. While it is possible, I have mags that have many hundreds of rounds though them and the springs are fine. Do polish the feed ramp and the slide rails and hammer interface per the F&B links. And lube properly! Any increased friction there can impede feeding. I have a P32 that went through a spell of last round FTF. The above mentioned polishing cured it after I wasted time getting new mag springs to try. Prior to that episode, I'd had the gun for years so I knew it was not limpwristing. Lock those wrists and pivot at the elbows. That light weight slide needs the gun to be well supported to function properly.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep2.htm

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm