New P3AT Ejectors (Updated With Pictures)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Checker4Tix, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    It took me about three years, but I finally lost an ejector (part 115) for one of my P3AT's. I called up KT and they sent me a new one. The new ejector is different than I have seen before, and, well, it won't work in my gun.

With the new ejector in place I could not re-assemble the pistol. Actually, I have three P3AT's and I spent some time last night swapping around the ejectors. In my two older P3AT's, the old style ejectors worked fine, but the new ejector prevented assembly of both the guns. What gives? The other P3AT is a newer design and seems to have its ejector pinned in somehow.

I will, of course, call up KT again and request another ejector, but I'm curious if any of you have had similar issues. It's hard to describe how the new ejector looks. It appears "skeletonized" if that makes any sense, and perhaps made from two pieces of metal pressed together. Older ones looked to me to be just one machined bit.

I can't obviously tell a difference in size between the old and new ejectors, but something must be different. I absolutely could not move the slide past the new ejector on any of my P3AT's last night.

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Re: New P3AT Ejectors

My 2nd gen. ejector comes out easily. My son bought one recently and it stays put. I'm not sure if they peened it in or what. Maybe a call to KT will get you some advice.

3. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007

Oops!

Of my three P3AT's, one is of the newer design you mention. It too has a pinned (???) ejector that is not removable. I actually spent time last night playing with the two older P3AT's whose ejectors are removable. (I edited my first post to clarify).

I'll bet they sent me an ejector for the new design. I hope they have some older ones available.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

pics would be nice

wonder why ktwm hasn't mentioned this?

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

This is not the first we've heard of this new fixed ejector, but it seems a confirmation. With so many older P3s out there, surely they will continue to make the earlier ejector too. I'll send a like to this thread to KTWM and see if he can shed some light on this issues.

6. krustymc223

krustymc223 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Ohio

... I called Kel-Tec a few months ago and asked for an ejector (#115) for my 1st. gen P3AT, just in case the original ever came up missing. Was told that they would not send me the old style and not to loose mine. If I lost it, I'd have to send the gun in and they would turn it into a 2nd. gen !

7. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007

Will do. I'll work on this tonight and post them up.

P.S. I haven't called KT yet. I got busy yesterday. I'll try to call them today and let you know what I learn.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

I PMed KTWM and inquired about whether or not there was a new fixed (pinned) ejector for the P3AT.  Here is his reply:

So apparently, the P3AT ejectors are now a press-fit and should not fall out, otherwise the system is the same. I don't know if they tweaked the tolerences on the gap in the frame rail or whether they simply tweaked the dimensions of the ejector itself. My guess would be the ejector, but you guys now know as much as I do. All in all, it sounds like a good fix to a somewhat aggrevating issue. Perhaps there will be no more ejectors escaping and returning home to KT. :)

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

I just wish KT would give me access to thier drawings so I could keep you with this stuff better >:(

;)

10. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007

The ejector I received the other day is still a slip fit item in my "older" P3AT's - both 2nd Generation. Whether or not this ejector is one of the new press fit items, I don't know. If it is, then the frames on the new guns must be different to yield the tighter fit.

Once again I forgot to call KT to discuss this and ask for a new part 115. I'm still waiting to hear about the new job so my mind is a bit cluttered these days. But I did remember to take some pictures!

Here's a side view of the ejector I received the other day. The front of the ejector is facing to the right.
    [​IMG]

This is a top view - ejector now facing to the left.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the poor photography. It was hard to get that little bugger in focus and illuminated so that you could see some detail.

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    thanks for the photo. just from the photo it looks like it should work. interestingly if that is an extra machining step (+$) to remove metal or is the piece now stamped (-$)

you say it will fit in the frame. when it does, did you look to see what surfaces might be off

top of rail flush or lower

bottom rail flush or lower

between rail face flush or in

12. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007
    I couldn't clearly identify where the hangup was occuring. But, looking at the second picture, above, perhaps that shiney spot on the top of the ejector is where the slide was dragging. I'll have to check it again to be sure.

13. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007
    Ok, I finally got a chance to call KT this morning. I talked to Bill and got the scoop.

He told me that there are actually 3-4 ejector designs (his words, I can't confirm) for P3AT's and that when requesting the infamous part 115 you really need to give them your Serial Number so that they can send you the correct one.

Apparently I got the newest design, which is a press fit item in the new P3AT frames. They won't work in older guns as we all now know.

So the lesson is, if you lose your P3AT ejector, be sure to have your SN in hand before calling KT to request a new one. I would suggest talking with Bill and giving him the SN directly so he can select the right part for you.

New/correct part on the way to me now. Problem solved - I think.

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    interesting....

so would the new extractor work in your new p3at

this thread is now added to the FAQ/VIP.

15. johnfrommd

johnfrommd New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Has anyone tried using RTV or Blue locktite to hold the ejector in place? I can't see where it would affect the operation of the pistol.

John

16. Checker4Tix

Aug 6, 2007
    I assume that it would, but there is no practical way to check. The ejector in my newest P3AT is stuck in there tight. It would take some effort to get it out. I don't think I'll ever lose that one.

I haven't tried it, but that's an interesting idea. I've been putting a dab of grease on it before re-assembly. That tends to hold in in place until I pull it out.

17. johnfrommd

johnfrommd New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Tomorrow after work, I will clean my P3AT and try blue locktight. I won't be able to shoot it until Friday or Saturday but when I do, I'll post my findings.

John

18. pointpro

pointpro New Member

May 9, 2005
    I'm sure you know the piece will stay in as long as the gun is together, the problem is only there when it is down for cleaning.
    Being in place forever is a good idea and there are a few things that come to mind to keep it there(metal in the tube at auto zone is one) but be careful.

19. johnfrommd

johnfrommd New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I carefully put blue locktite on my ejector and installed it. After a day, I cycled the slide quite a few times and it is still there. Maybe this weekend I can shoot it and see if it stays put. I kind of doubt that it will as there is alot of slop between the ejector and frame. Additionally, on the the rear end has a tongue and groove surface. The bottom and front surfaces are just flat.

I'll report back when I shoot it.

John

20. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Yes, I've done it and it does work for awhile. The blue locktite will degrade after awhile (several cleanings) and the ejector will fall out again. I just put more locktite on after I degreased it and its back in snug as a bug in a rug. I guess the vibration and oil degrade the locktite. The locktite never seemed to effect the operation of the P3AT though.

Best Wishes