New P3AT, couple of questions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by styledata, Apr 4, 2009.

1. styledata

styledata New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Hello all,
    Just got a new 3AT on gunbroker.com auction. Haven't fired it yet. Been reading your posts on cleaning and lubing first. Interested in snap caps. Can you reuse them?? Here's my biggest question. I want to use this when bicycling (female, often alone). So I need a holster that will work in a pair of spandex cycling shorts. I know, I know, supposed to wear a belt. Can't do it. So what would you recommend, given the constraint? And yes, my cc license should be coming to me in a month or so.
    Thanks!

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Welcome to KTOG.

Snap caps are reusable, look for the red aluminum ones (A-Zoom) they will last longer. As far as a holster I use a Desantis "super fly" without the anti print panel, that makes it like their Nemesis holster. I don't think that would be an option for bicycling but it is a good pocket holster. I would look at a "fanny pack" style of holster I don't know if there are any other good options on a bike and without a belt.

http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/browse.do?action=refresh_browse&ctg_id=1473

Edit: You might want to add something to the grip I have a bit of padding under a Hogue Handall Jr.

Good luck and don't be a stranger

CJ

3. styledata

styledata New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I will add to this that I carried a 25 in a holster with a clip in my bike shorts for years and it never moved around or caused a problem. So I am hoping for an option that will fit on the shorts. The waist is quite tight, no real slippage. But the gun should be on the outside of the shorts, perhaps, to avoid contact with perspiration. Shirt is pretty loose, so outline will not be very obvious. I was wondering about a paddle holster. More grip on the body side?

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    There should be plenty of IWB (inside waste band) holsters that will fit you P3AT. I don't have one myself but I'm sure someone will post good advice on them. You may want to try a search in this section or the accessory section.

CJ

5. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

If you cycle wearing a jersey that has pockets on the back, you could try using the DeSantis Superfly and putting it in the big pocket in the center.

I would think the paddle on a paddle holster would begin to chaffe after awhile due to it being held tightly against the skin by the lycra. I would think a belly band might be slightly more comfortable, but you'd still have perspiration issues.

Another option that I've considered for mountain biking in the past is a chest rig for a radio worn under the shirt. http://www.raineinc.com/CatItemDeta...Cases+(Two-Way)&SrcInfo=21&Item=52RCH
    This is the best one I've found to adapt to cycling.

6. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I mt. bike a lot so I know your pain.

A good inside the waistband (IWB) holster is your best bet unless you want to carry the gun in your Camelbak. DON'T wear the gun in the 6 o'clock position when biking! The damage to your spine should you wreck would be multiplied by the hardness of the gun. 4 or 5 o'clock positions are best so you have free range of motion without the gun being pushed up by your legs. Women's biking shorts fit really well in this area so losing your gun shouldn't be a problem, and if it is then you can always sew a Velcro strap onto the holster. Uncle Mike's holsters are impervious to sweat. Promise!

If you mt. bike then you could look into mt. bike shorts that have a draw string. Mine cinch up great around my gun and it's almost like wearing a belt. What bike do you ride?

7. styledata

styledata New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Hey, thanks for the bike specific advise. Especially about the 6:00 position. I was thinking of doing just that, and had not considered what you said. I have a Lava Dome mountain bike and a Trek road bike. I do prefer mountain biking a bit over road, but it's close! I will look at the Uncle Mike's holsters. Question to all - which size Uncle Mike's fits the 380?

8. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I think mine is a 36, but I cut off the tag so I can't be sure.
    http://www.uncle-mikes.com/fitcharts/inside_pant_hlster_fc.html

Normally carrying in that position wouldn't be a problem. If you were to endo or fall backwards the height of the fall would put more pressure on the gun than if you were walking and fell. Since most jerseys are cut longer in the back one would assume that would be the best place to hide a gun and not think about a crash scenario. Hope this helps.

9. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    When I ride I usually carry a gun in a soft holster in my handlebar bag. If I stop and go in somewhere I take the bag with me as it can be worn like a fanny pack as well. It's not a quick draw though.

10. D50boy

D50boy New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    I would keep it in some sort of a waist pack as mentioned before.

11. RV8AWD

RV8AWD New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I was compelled by wife and daughter to carry while cycling (road bikes). I'll have the ccw permit soon.

Fanny pack is an option. Also check out the Comp-Tac centerline. I have a IWB Defender from Active Pro Gear. Haven't tried it riding with it yet but it's not as constricting as a belly band as it's below waistline. I recommend wearing a base layer if you can. It's also available left or right draw and has a spare magazine slot.

Good luck.

www.comp-tac.com

www.activeprogear.com

12. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Hi

Being a new P3AT owner I would suggest that you put in some range time to get used to the gun. When using spap caps make sure that you are not moving the sight picture very much when pulling the trigger. You also may consider sending the action and barrel to goldenloki.com for a "reliability Preparation". He offers this service to KTOG members for only $20. You can check out posts about "Fluff & Buff" on this site. This is basicly what he would do to your gun. You can get a low priced IWB holster from "activeprogear.com. " I have a couple of their holsters. They are pretty good for the money. I hope you enjoy your P3AT but never need to use it. If you have any more questions be sure to post them here. There are many people much more knowlegable about Kel-tecs than I am on here.

Craig

13. styledata

styledata New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Thanks, I absolutely intend to get in some range time, if I can just find some ammo! Still debating fluff and buff. Might check with my local range to see if they can do it, as I know one of the guys has a 380.

14. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    My ex-wife used to carry a P32 w/belt clip in the hollow just in front of her hip while running. She had no issues with 'shifting'. Good luck.

15. KittySlayer

KittySlayer New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Re: New P3AT, test road ride

Just rode the road with my P3AT for the first time this weekend. I wore a traditional three pocket cycling jersey and followed Torrent's advice and carried it in my right rear pocket. Still searching for the ideal holster but found this neoprene case for a Nintendo DS game system at Best Buy.

[​IMG]

The case worked well and was a near perfect fit for my jersey pocket. Big enough that it held the gun and no fear of it coming out of the pocket but not so big that the case or gun would get caught if I needed to pull it out. Not a hot day but I think the neoprene will help protect the gun from sweat. The case also eliminated any problems of the outline being visible to others and I had quite  few people sucking my wheel on Saturday. The gun was as light as the tube/tool kit I carry in my other pocket. I wear my jerseys tight and did not have any problems with it shifting around. Note that this carry method is not going to be quick draw but I am not going to be shooting cowboy style while riding my bike anyways.

I am going to keep looking for other options but so far this will be my method of carry on the bike for the time being. In addition to the game section check the cases in the camera area, phone area and GPS area of Best Buy. If you do not wear or want to carry in a jersey pocket you might also think about wearing bib shorts. Some women do not like the bibs because they interfere with nature breaks but the straps may help keep everything in place when you find your holster of choice. Hopefully someone will post the magic bullet on this thread.

Now if I could just find some range ammo so I can actually fire it a few times with something other than snapcaps.

16. TellyDSP

TellyDSP New Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Would a belly band suit your needs? Otherwise, if you're prior experience was successful, a Super Fly may work for you.

17. STRASHTR

STRASHTR New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    I've had my PF9 for a couple of months now. Been to the range a lot. Never did a fluff & buff. So, I decided to have Don Haney do his full reliablility prep for me. Well, I just got it back (took him only a day to do), and, man, it looks real nice. I don't care much for the "shiney" look; in fact, I prefer all original and more of a "stealth" appearance. So, I had Don cold blue the barrel and chamber. Looks real good. I think he may have some pics available if anyone is interested. I'll report back after I take it to the range this weekend and let you know if it handles any better. BTW, Don is a master gunsmith and his site is Goldenloki.com.

18. styledata

styledata New Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Just giving you all an update on my holster search! I did get a Fobus paddle holster. It does slip around when jogging, but I think would be more stable bicycling. Good for the range. I also got a leather IWB holster that fits TIGHT. I think this will be the ticket for jogging and bicycling. I ordered a pocket holster from Active Pro-XXXX, but they never sent it and never responded to my 3 emails about my order, so I have disputed that charge on my credit card.  Still looking for a good pocket holster. I was going to order one from MidwayXXX but they wanted over $9 shipping. I emailed them about it and got the usual canned response about not marking up shipping. Baloney! I added the Nitesiters - tricky to apply to this particular gun, but they are staying on. Added a finger extension to the mag, too. And yes, shot a few mags from my precious stash of ammo. Pretty darn accurate!

19. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    A lot of pawn shops carry holsters and will order one if not in stock, usually no shipping charges.