Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new P32 cleaned and lubed it and took it to the range yesterday with 50 rounds of PPU. The first magazine was O K. After that I experienced failure to extract on every round. I took it home and searched this forum. I did a fluff and buff which included the slide rails, feed ramp and chamber. I also cleaned behind the extractor with a small stiff brush. I went back to the range today with a box of American Eagle ammo. Different day, same results. The empty cartridge starts to leave the chamber but only comes out about 1/4 inch. Every round the same results. The gun hand chambers rounds freely.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
That is exactly how my P3AT acted when it had a broken extractor. The chip on the tip of the extractor was so small, you couldn't see it with the naked eye. There are other things it could be, including a rough spot in the chamber that just isn't noticeable by visual inspection. Keep us posted. Also, check that the extractor is good and tight. It's not as common a problem on the P32, but worth checking.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Since the first magazine full extracted and ejected normally, one of the possible things that might have happened is that the extractor spring screw loosened up just a little, letting the extractor slip off the rim while trying to extract. Does not take much for this to happen, so check the screw to be sure it is snug. If the screw is okay, then possibly the extractor claw is broken or chipped and not effective now, or possibly something is causing the fired case to stick in the chamber, so check chamber for roughness or burrs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys. There does appear to be a chip on the top of the extractor but I didn't think it would effect anything due to it's location on top and not on the claw. Probably going to have to ship it back home for awhile.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Thanks Guys. There does appear to be a chip on the top of the extractor but I didn't think it would effect anything due to it's location on top and not on the claw. Probably going to have to ship it back home for awhile.
Very unusual to have a chipped extractor claw on a new P-32, but it has happened. Be very sure that while you are putting rounds in the chamber that you only load from the magazine if you intend to close the bolt and extract. That forces the extractor to jump over the rim and can damage it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I just received a shipping label from the mothership. I'll let them sort it out. I'm shipping a new Kahr CM9 back to the factory for repairs also. I'm interested in comparing Kahr CS to KelTec CS.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Replacing the extractor is quite easy as long as you have the right size Allen wrench. If you haven't shipped it yet I would see if they will send a replacement part instead.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called KelTec cs last Friday. The bad news -They have my gun but haven't started to fix it yet. I also called Kahr and got the same answer on the CM9 that I sent back for service. The good news - I got my RM380 this week and my TCP is 100% reliable. I plan on using the P32 for bicycle rides and gym trips. Believe it or not the added 4oz. of the TCP makes a difference in gym shorts or sweats. By the way, can you tell I like small pocket pistols?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ooops, I forgot about my Charter Arms Undercover and S&W Wyatt Deep Cover 637 J-frame. I had a Sig P290RS. It was a good gun after you get used to the trigger. A bit chunky for pocket carry though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this same problem with my new P32. After suffering though about 200 rounds of FMJ it suddenly began to perform flawlessly. I tried it with a variety of different ammo types and manufacturers, foreign & domestic to include JHP rounds and was unable to make it fail even limp wristed. I read somewhere there is a break-in period and I am here to attest to that!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got mine back from the factory about a week ago. The repair invoice just said "replaced internal parts" and "polished the feed ramp". I took it to the range yesterday. I put 50 rounds of American Eagle, 25 rounds of PPU and about 15 rounds of Hornady jhp downrange without an issue. I'm curious about what parts were replaced but I'm very happy with the service and the performance of the gun.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a P-32 and have two friends that also own them. One friend had hiccups for the first 150 rounds, then it started shooting reliably. My other friend's P-32 was reliable right out of the box like mine was. I don't know if this means a lot; but when I get any semi-auto pistol, I clean and do a light lube. Then I rack the slide about twenty-five times, and release the mag about twenty-five times, if it has a safety I flip the safety on and off twenty-five times. This may be why my P-32 was flawless.
:rayof:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.