new p3-at

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by bazookabert, Dec 29, 2007.

1. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Just got to shoot my new p3-at. I already polished up a few things that i had read about on the group site. The gun shot well, no feed jams, but a few ejection jams, 3 in 50 rounds. After reading a little on here, it is probably my wrists fault and I will be more conscious of it next time I go shoot. The gun is cleaned up and inspected and ready to go again tomorrow. I think this is going to a great pistol, and probably my primary conceal pistol because of its size.

I will be reloading for this pistol and was wondering if anyone has used the XTP hornady bullet. i have used them in larger calibers and am hoping to use them here as well.

Cheers

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG and congrates on getting a P3AT.

3. Powerkicker

Powerkicker New Member

May 31, 2007
    I don't reload for the .380 cartidge but I'm content with ball ammo in my P3AT. Did you mildly knock the corner off of the barrel hood? Are you getting simple failures to extract or are the rounds binding on the cartridge mouth below?

4. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    i did not take the corner off the hood, i just polished it up a little. when it jammed, i looked like the shell was never able to 'swing' out of the chamber and got them got pinched.

5. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I shot Hornandy XTP JHP's yesterday with no problems! That hollow point seems to have a nice rounded contour to it which I think might help it feed. I haven't looked at the ballistics, but it seems like a really well designed HP.

6. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I have done velocity measurements and energy computations with a range of ammo. Hornady XTP is the weakest round I have tested in .380. Was using double tap, will be using Buffalo Bore from now on. Here is a result summary from one of my tests showing the Hornady's energy output (energy in the "FT-LBS" column). Pow'r ball has great energy, but is combined with a poorly functioning bullet, so Speer (improved by Double Tap, improved again by Buffalo Bore) offers the highest energy. Then again, many prefer the DPX bullet design because it doesn't clog with clothing as readily as the Speer gold dot...

[​IMG]

7. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    very nice data, thank you for the input!

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    WheelGuy
    Is the actual measure with a P3AT?

9. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Yep, used my own wonderful daily carry P3AT. 7 types of ammo interleaved together in 5 mags. digital chronograph 15 feet from muzzle, 24 inch screen separation. Here is a link to the original thread... http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1178377727/0#0

10. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    After reading your past post, I think that my question may have been mis-answered. I plan on reloading with the XTP bullet, not purchasing them already loaded. I would expect hand loads to be much better.

11. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Doh! You were asking about the expansion/reliability of the Hornady bullet, not about the Hornady round. Ok, I finally understand :)

12. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    yes, but that is nice data too. the majority of my reloading is with hornady bullets (mostly rifle) and I have nothing bad to say about them. However, I would have expected better results out of the ammunition as well. It kind of concerns me that they were ranked among the lowest. Hopefully they put their r/d money into the bullet and not the ammunition they sell!

13. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Howdy I also just got myself p3at yesterday and took out today to shoot today. I did a lite fluff and buff. Shoot 100 rounds of rem 88gr hollow points(L380A1B) no problem at all. does anyone see why this would not be a good carry ammo? I use two diffent mag as well. So for I just love this little gun. I useully carry a Glock 26 but this is looking like a good bug or summer gun.
    Rex

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The Rem JHP is fine, IMO if it functions well in your gun.  It will probably not expand very much which will make it perform somewhere between a JHP and a FMJ round.  Since there are plenty who believe that a JHP is the best pick, and others who feel you need FMJ in lesser calibers, the Rem JHP may be the perfect compromise.  Cheap too.  ;)

15. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I like the idea of hollow points I read alot about the corbon but would like to carry something that I can shoot plenty of to make sure it runs thur the gun fine. are the heavyer round better You ideas Please
    Rex

16. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Wha? Who? Where?

:cool:

[smiley=smiley_down.gif]

17. jfh

jfh New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    "...I prefer Hollow Points...

Part of that may depend on your location.

Here in MN, in a (minimal) round like the .380ACP, I carry FMJs in the winter time--HPs will be too easily minimized by the multiple layers of clothing it might encounter.

I carry the P3AT as a BUG--and in the winter, my revolver (S&W M&P 340) is stoked with the Buffalo Bore 158-gr LWSCHPs--that round runs over 1000 fps and the bullet is known for good penetration. It's a version of the 38 Special "FBI load."

Jim H.

18. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Agreed. Here in S TX, winter means that sometimes you wear a long sleeve, shirt over your t-shirt. ;D

19. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    in the upper peninsula of michigan it's always winter :( (seems like it anyways) Makes it easy to carry the gun tho!

20. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    well I live in south Texas we have two to three week we can call winter. I not sure any hollow point well expaned but maybe they will maybe they wont who knows? I know FMJ will not still I been reading the boards and noticed some like bullet wights upto 102gr. Does heavier mean deeper penetration?