Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a new P3-AT in early April, serial J9G**. Purchased a DeSantis Nemesis shortly after. Purchased an extra magazine, a +1 extension, and a Bersa Thunder finger extension a couple of weeks ago. Went out to my brother's house and shot at his range yesterday. Ammo summary:

42 rounds Fiocchi 90gr JHP: 2 failures to feed
43 rounds Wolf 91gr steel-cased FMJ: 1 failure to feed (!)

Considering the issues I've heard with Wolf ammo, I'm pretty shocked that it actually had fewer failures. But, if you ignore the second round of Fiocchi I shot (the first one to feed in from the magazine), which didn't feed properly and caused the slide to not close fully, they're equal.

The other Fiocchi failure was in the middle of the 3rd or 4th magazine. After that, it was smooth sailing until the second round of Wolf, which didn't feed properly at all and caused the slide to stick back. Giving it a bit of a shove made it close.

Overall functioning is great, and I was nicely surprised. Recoil was not bad at all - I imagine the finger extension and +1 extension helped with controllability. My hand didn't hurt, but my trigger finger got a little sore ;D

Speaking of trigger, it's uh...not exactly smooth, heh. I guess I shouldn't expect it to be as good as a double-action S&W revolver.

I have little idea how good accuracy was, as I didn't bring any of my targets. All I got to shoot at was some broken computer hardware and some old DirectTV receivers - I hope they weren't worth anything! I even managed to recover a JHP bullet from the hard drive I was shooting at...

As for peening, I don't think it's happening (yet?), even though the thickness of the material in the suspect spot is probably a bit less than 1/16" of an inch. There's just some buildup around the outer edge, which I read is normal.

After first purchasing the gun and taking it home, I fieldstripped it, cleaned out the factory gunk, and only gave it a good oiling with Hoppe's gun oil (this was before I learned you should use grease). Then, on the day before shooting it, I re-oiled it a bit, and it worked fine. After coming home, it got cleaned and got a proper greasing + oiling - wheel bearing grease, and good ol' Hoppe's.

Another thing that concerned me when cleaning it, but turned out to be normal, was some markings on the metal on the right side of the frame behind the chamber, opposite side of the ejector - hard to explain, but someone else mentions it in another recent thread. Filed it down a bit, and it should be OK.

The glaring problem I've been having is that the slide tends to not want to go forward on its own when cycling a round in slowly - you have to bump the back of it, then it snaps shut. If you rack it quickly, it works just fine. Happens with both kinds of ammo. I'm guessing a bit of feed ramp polishing will fix this.

Had to file away part of the plastic main (hammer) spring anchor for the finger extension to fit properly, but it probably needs a bit more filing. The +1 extended magazine needs to be canted a bit to fit in properly to keep the tab from hitting it when the follower gets shoved down all the way.

I now have no qualms about carrying this as a back-up and occasional primary. I'll put up a picture soon.

I've probably forgotten some things in this post that I meant to mention. Oh well, I can always reply with whatever it is I forgot, once I remember it.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Sangueffusor said:
The glaring problem I've been having is that the slide tends to not want to go forward on its own when cycling a round in slowly - you have to bump the back of it, then it snaps shut. If you rack it quickly, it works just fine. Happens with both kinds of ammo. I'm guessing a bit of feed ramp polishing will fix this.
This is absolutely normal and nothing to be concerned about. Polishing and lubing, smoothing out the rails and good keeping it clean will likely minimize but not totally eliminate this.

Over all a good day it sounds like. I'd shoot another couple hundred rounds to be totally comfortable but it sounds like you are off to a good start!

Welcome -

-Scott

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine operates exactly the same on loading the first shell if I rack it hard the bullet loads fine. I have about the same number of rounds out of it. Mostly WWB. I shot it out of the box the first time (apparently not a great idea) and had two FTE's since I cleaned and greased (white lithium) it has been functioned perfectly.

I have been very pleased with the accuracy. At 10-15 yards it is very good I even shot at a few dirt clods out at 25-30 yards and hit in the general vicinity.

G

·
Welcome to the group Sang,

Sounds to me you did well.

Have you polished the feed ramp?
Check this link with particular attention to step 14.
A dremel with the red polishing compound that usually comes with the dremel works well after the sanding.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

That may help with the fail to feeds.

Again, glad to have ya.!

·
Registered
24 Posts
As for peening, I don't think it's happening (yet?), even though the thickness of the material in the suspect spot is probably a bit less than 1/16" of an inch. There's just some buildup around the outer edge, which I read is normal.

What is peening? I'm a new P3AT owner myself (had it less than a week).

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a new owner too, so I'm not exactly keen on what it means precisely either. I believe it refers to a significant increase in the diameter of the guide rod hole due to it wearing from stress placed on it from shooting. Eventually the hole might get so large the inner recoil spring can pop out.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Sangueffusor said:
I'm a new owner too, so I'm not exactly keen on what it means precisely either. I believe it refers to a significant increase in the diameter of the guide rod hole due to it wearing from stress placed on it from shooting. Eventually the hole might get so large the inner recoil spring can pop out.
Pretty good definition there Sangueffusor

Peening is the process of working metal by hammering, ie ball peen hammer. So a slight refinement to our expalination would be

...a significant increase in the diameter of the guide rod hole due to contact with the guide rod during shooting. Eventually the hole gets so large the inner recoil spring pops out.

G

·
WHAT IS PEENING?

These first three slides are "good" slides.

The last picture is a bad "peening" slide.
Sad to report the last slide is mine. NOTICE THE RAISED METAL OUTSIDE OF THE GUIDE ROD HOLE?

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you notice peening is happening to your gun, what can you do about it? If it gets bad, does the warranty cover it (i.e. can you send it back to KT for repair free of charge [not counting shipping])?

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
SKILCZ said:
If you  notice peening is happening to your gun, what can you do about it?  If it gets bad, does the warranty cover it (i.e. can you send it back to KT for repair free of charge [not counting shipping])?
Not sure that I understand your question at all?  But if it is what I think:

All KTs are warranted for their lifetime to the original owner.  Peening is definately a defect and there has never been anyone that has said KT hasn't honored that warranty.

They have several outs in their warranty language (1 - they say the life of the guns "exceeds" 6000 rounds but does not say by how much.  And 2 - the original owner).   SO FAR KT HAS NEVER BEEN KNOWN TO ASK ABOUT THE LIFE OF THE WEAPON OR ABOUT PROVING ORIGINAL OWNER STATUS  - but they could at any time.  Frankly I don't think they ever will try to limit these things.

As to what YOU can do about it. Go over to the Trading Post and buy 10 washers for $5, put one of them into your P3AT and call it good and not worry about peening.

Scott (who just about pee'd himself when he saw how beautiful this slide was:)

G

·
Sang,

That does not look good to me.

How many rounds through the gun?

With the slide assembled, can you see the guide rod springs?

Try the JFB trick with paper to see how big the hole is.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Only 85 rounds through the gun. The paper test only got through a little into the second wrap. Here's another collage. The dirtiness on the paper shows how far it got in :) Then there's the slide/barrel/rod/spring assembly alone, then installed in the gun.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Sangueffusor said:
Hey everyone,
Am I peening? Inquiring minds want to know.
It looks like peening is starting. That protruding ridge around the hole doesn't look good. You might want to try the washer mod to stop or at least slow down the enlargement of the hole.

·
Registered
47 Posts
meathook said:
Mine operates exactly the same on loading the first shell if I rack it hard the bullet loads fine. I have about the same number of rounds out of it. Mostly WWB. I shot it out of the box the first time (apparently not a great idea) and had two FTE's since I cleaned and greased (white lithium) it has been functioned perfectly.

I have been very pleased with the accuracy. At 10-15 yards it is very good I even shot at a few dirt clods out at 25-30 yards and hit in the general vicinity.
Meathook, you from Alabama? Damn Boy, shooting at dirtclods is illegal in Connecticut, the liberals have determined that the "Dirtclod" has equal rights like everyone else, they have gone so far as to put them on the "Protected Species List", maybe the fine folk here can take up a collection for you to get some proper targets?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.