New P3-AT owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by PDW, Sep 23, 2007.

1. PDW

PDW New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I became a proud Kel-Tec owner when I purchased a P11 about 3-4 months ago. Yesterday I got it a little sister. Behold, my new P3-AT Can't wait to get to the range tomorrow and try it out. I'll post a range report.

[​IMG]

2. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Hi PDW. Welcome to KTOG! She's a beauty. Be sure and let the trigger go fully forward between shots, and keep a stiff wrist.

Let's have a range report now.

Packer.

3. john_glock_mi

john_glock_mi New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I like to recommend a little dab of glossy white or orange paint for the front sight to pick it up easier.

Good luck on your first trip out packin' the 3AT.

4. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Howdy PWD, welcometo the forum. Very nice looking pistol! Hope you love it as much as we all love ours. :cool:

5. PDW

PDW New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    The sights will definetley get some paint. I did a major cleaning last night. Boy the inside of the barrell was a MESS. Lots of brown crap on the inside of the barrell. Took some major cleaning to get it looking good. Surprised it came from the factory that way! Put a bike tire on the handle for the homemade cheap grip. I did that on my P11 also and its cheap and quite effective. Really makes the gun more comfortable to shoot. Planning on sneaking away from work today to go punch some holes in a few targets.

6. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    May I recommend a fingertip extension of some type to your liking. IMHO they are a plus. :)

7. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Welcome - nice photo.

wyo-man

8. PDW

PDW New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    WOW! This gun in nice. I expected it to be a bit of a beast to shoot. I was very pleasantly surprised by how easy to shoot it is though. The recoil is easily managed. It is smooth. The trigger pull is very nice (much nicer than my p11) I am one happy man. I ran 50 rounds of PMC 90 grain FMJ (the cheapest stuff I could find) through it and not 1 single hiccup. Here is my best 6 shot group. Is this a decent group? Be honest! I really don't know what to expect with this gun. I shot this group at 7 yards. 1" rings. Farthest 2 bullets are 4 5/8" apart.

I'm a lefty, not exactly sure why, but most everything was hitting to the right on all groups I shot. Any ideas? I will put some paint on the sights for sure. Not too sure about the pinkie extension though. At first I was positive I would do it, but after shooting it, I really don't know that I need or want one. I purchased this gun because of the size and I really don't want to make it any bigger. I have a Desantis Nemesis on the way. I'll go home and clean it tonight or tomorrow and run some more rounds in the next few days. Looks like my P11 may become the "backup" carry and the P3AT will probably soon be taking its place as my daily carry gun.

[​IMG]

9. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    ;D ; You are kind of like me. I have only had my p3 for about 2 months. Never had a handgun until this one. I have been to the range about one or two times a week. My best was today, I had 24 out of about 32 rounds in a 6" circle @ about 18 to 20 feet. Again, no fails of any kind. I racked the slide and shot 3 or 4 rapid fire as I would in my store if approached by BG.

Also, the RIGHT STUFF is still holding the hyvis sight very well to the slide although I have to aim about 6" high @ 18 feet to keep from being too low on target.

I can say I am very pleased with my purchase, hope you will be also.

Also, I'm glad to see the sight up again. I wondered what had happened. ;D Tom

10. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    I've been soaking my barrel with Break Free all weekend and scrubbing with a brass brush.  That brown stuff is commonly known as RUST.  It was bad enough to leave pits.  K-T says I can send it in for a new barrel, but I want to see if the slide peens, as it is really thin.  K-T says you can't tell; you just have to fire it.  Mine was made about 7 weeks ago.

I counted at least 14 Failure to Extracts in 100 rounds of WWB.  And the magazine release isn't holding.

So PDW, you are doing much better than me.  The P-11 has been much better for me.  I'll put another 100 rounds through the P3AT and see if it straightens out.

G2S

11. PDW

PDW New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I thought it was RUST, but I couldn't hardly bring myself to believe or accept that a brand new gun would have rust on the inside of the barrel. I cleaned the P3AT last night and had to scrub the barrel nice and good again. Not really sure what to think. I had it looking good before I went to the range and looking good again last night after the scrubbing, but this morning as I look at it, there appears to still be some rust on it. What is the best procedure at this point? I also thought I had some small pits on the inside of the barrel, but didn't really want to admit that. My gun shot fine (50/50) but I don't want to take any chances. Suggestions?

12. Hwkeye

Hwkeye New Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I've been soaking my barrel with Break Free all weekend and scrubbing with a brass brush.  That brown stuff is commonly known as RUST.  It was bad enough to leave pits.  K-T says I can send it in for a new barrel, but I want to see if the slide peens, as it is really thin.  K-T says you can't tell; you just have to fire it.  Mine was made about 7 weeks ago.

I counted at least 14 Failure to Extracts in 100 rounds of WWB.  And the magazine release isn't holding.

So PDW, you are doing much better than me.  The P-11 has been much better for me.  I'll put another 100 rounds through the P3AT and see if it straightens out.

G2S[/quote]

Not all of that brown stuff is necessarily rust. I believe most of it is an oil sealer that they put on in the factory. My gun too was coated with it on the slide, barrel and everything else. It is an oily consistancy. i have seen no signs of rust on mine at all.

13. PDW

PDW New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    What I'm talking about was ONLY on the inside of the barrel. Not the gunk you're talking about. Still not 100% sure if it is rust though.....

14. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    The stuff on the inside of mine was definitely dry.

K-T service said they do not clean or lubricate after firing.

G2S

15. PDW

PDW New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    It was VERY dry on the inside of my barrel too.....In fact my first reaction when I saw the inside of the barrel was that I had just been sold a brand new gun that was USED. But after disassembling and cleaning it was obvious that the gun was new as there were no typical wear marks on the slide or other parts, just the barrel inside looked used.

16. Dydla

Dydla New Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Yes , when I first had a look inside the barrel of my KT P3-AT I told to myself : the moonscape !! But later I was said that the barrel is made from the very hard steel / it is very very thin / a there is not possibility to do it better. So I think we must believe it. D.