New P3-AT owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sprinter1, Dec 23, 2007.

1. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I really got a surprise yesterday, my wife who has been gun neutral received her CCW in the mail! I didn't even know she applied for one. My wifes girlfriend was mugged at knife point the day after Thanksgiving and they both got permits without telling me or her husband.

Today she took me gun shopping :cool: She picked out a P3-AT and even payed for it. We didn't have time to go to the range today, but she wants to try it out tomorrow. In the mean time she borrowed a proven P3-AT from me until hers is broken in. I'll give a range report on her new P3_AT after she fires it.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Make sure SHE starts posting then ;)

3. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I can guarantee that isn't going to happen :-[

4. Troubleshooter2

Troubleshooter2 New Member

Jan 13, 2006
    I'm currently on the look out for a P3AT for my wife in Blue Grip HC slide.

She likes to shoot mine ;) Time to get one for her :cool:

5. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Congrats to you and your wife! I'm hearing that more and more women are beginning to carry and it's a very good thing. :)

6. jocko

jocko Guest

alittle story here:
    When I was in the gun business, I hired a certifed NRA instructor and ask if he would give a complete certified gun course to a class of women. His comment was, u are wasting ur time, you won't get enough to sign up to make it worth while. I run one ad, had 35 women sign, up, had to turn down 5 as 30 was all he could take. It lasted 8 weeks, not one ever missed a class session, NOT ONE. half or more owned handguns but didn't know jack sh-t about them. most had never even fired them. When it was all over most all came to me and thanked me for doing it. Their perception of handgun ownership had certainly changed. 3 in the class were doctors, 2 were lawyers (course they need a firearm) the rest just good law abiding people. One was a state cops wife even. The instructor back then and this was well about 18 years ago, then recommended to every woman to buy a wheel gun and not an auto, for very obvious reasons of much better reliability. Unless a woman is well versed in hadnguns and usage yadda yadds, I still go along with that recommendation. These kt's are great guns but as we all know there are alot of men who can't handle them right, let alone a woman who basically knows where the trigger is and that is all. No offense meant to anyone here either.

7. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    sprinter1,

I was surprised to see the title of your thread. I wondered how sprinter1 could be a "new P3-AT owner"!

Sorry to hear it took a bad incident so close to home to open your wife's eyes. I hope her girlfriend was not physically harmed.

It's good your wife got her lesson in a fairly easy way before something really bad happened.

I hope my wife is as lucky. So far she's still a sheep. :(
    I pray for her daily...

Bobo

8. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Bobo,

Until the incident struck so close to home, my wife had zero interest in getting a permit or guns in general. Her friend wasn't hurt and only lost about $40 in cash, but it sure did scare her to the point of not wanting to go shopping or out in general alone now. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

9. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I didn't have time to post the range report yesterday, so here it is.

I spent Sunday night getting it ready for the range. I like to manually rack the slide a hundred or so times to find the high spots and then I scrape the frame and slide to remove any high spots or burrs. I then completely unassembled the gun and removed any burrs and polished every moving part. I also sand all the springs, even in the mag. Since it is my wife's gun, I even gave all the metal parts (minus the springs) the double baked mitec process. I sanded all the seams flush on the polymer frame and trigger. I then put it all back together and lubed and oiled the baby. This baby was smooth as silk on all the moving parts and slide and range ready.

She had 2 light strikes on the first mag, but after showing her how to let the trigger reset that problem went away. She fired 30 walmart specials and 20 Speer Gold Dots without any problems. She fired all rounds at 7 yards and grouped every shot in a 8" circle which made me jealous ;) She wanted to fire some more rounds, even though I added 2 Energy Absorbing Grip Pads, 50 rounds is more than enough from this little cannon per range visit. All in all she is happy with her new P3-AT and already planning her next range visit.

[​IMG]

She had her choice of 4 different P3-AT's and selected the parked over the HC with the blue frame. She said she wanted a "Mean" looking gun and not a fashion accessory, which really surprised me.