New P3-AT owner

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by number9, Nov 14, 2008.

1. number9

number9 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Hey guys, going to pick up my SA XD9 Tactical and P3-AT early next week. ;D Found this forum and decided to ask you fellas (and gals) if these little pistols do well with the Winchester White Box FMJ ammo - for plinking/range use. I plan to pickup a Kel-tec +1 mag extension and a pocket holster (haven't decided which one yet). I have lurked on the forum for a bit and gathered that the Corbon DPX and Speer Gold Dot are popular carry rounds, but haven't seen much on preferred range ammo.

Also, what all do these guns come with new? Hard case? 2 mags? etc??

2. cngraefe

cngraefe New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Welcome to KTOG number9
    Picked up my P3AT in the Hard Case with one mag. Mine has digested 400 rounds of WWB ammo, no problems since I performed the fluff 'n buff. Also picked up a pocket holster at http://www.pocketholsters.com/ it has held up very well. Also got the Crimsom Trace Laser for it.

[​IMG]

3. Cortty

Cortty New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I ran 70 rounds of wwb today with no problems. I've also used remington and CCI. My P3 likes all FMJ. New P3ats come with a hard case and 1 mag.

4. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    Hi Number9.
    Welcome to ktog.
    I love my P3AT.
    Had my P3 for about 3 years.
    No problems.
    You will love yours.
    Charlie.

5. Welcome to KTOG #9.

After an initial Fluff & Buff I have run hundreds of rounds of WWB through 3AT's. They should work fine for you- but some of the 3AT's can be ammo selective.

Give 'em a try.

And yes- Cor-Bon DPX is my carry round.

When you do get it- Post us a range report with pics!

6. number9

number9 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome and info guys.

I ran across this F&B talk last night and skimmed over a link someone had posted and if I remember right, seems like someone was saying that it was needed on the older guns, but not usually on the newer models / Gen2? Is that correct, maybe I misunderstood or because I skimmed over it I am piecing info from different posts together in my head. Should I do this F&B before I even take it out and shoot it, or shoot and see first, then decide to do the F&B?

Is this the hard case the P3 comes with? Also, is it best to get the +1 mag ext and a new 6rd mag straight from Kel-tec or are there other sources that are better?

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=86

7. Fluff and Buff may not be needed at all-  it is basically an accelarated break in.......but what better way to get to know the little gun?

I HAD to do a fluff and buff on my FIRST 3AT to get it to run reliably.  That simple process gave me the confidence to move on to much more complicated home smith projects on other guns....... to the point today that I can and do completely strip down (I mean each screw and spring) all of my guns from time to time.

Here is a stripped down 3AT:

[​IMG]

And a close up of what you can find inside a new one:

[​IMG]

No- not the penny!  ;)

8. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Welcome to the forums. I use WWB for range use and carry Corbon DPX as do many others here.

John

9. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Nu_

ahhh looks like you broke it. *L* is their instructions somewhere on this sit for a detail strip?

10. dbfxdm

dbfxdm New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Welcome from FL. I have shot WWB, Fiocchi, CorBon, and Federal through mine with no issues.

11. YUP:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/disassembly.htm

WORD OF CAUTION:

When taking the hammer spring off- or re-installing- make sure the hammer is FOWARD or you will overstretch the spring and may have light strikes as a result.

12. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I picked up my P3AT Saturday, but have not had a chance to get to the range. Tomorrow afternoon. I am taking 50 rounds of Magtech and 50 Remington, FMJ. I really doubt I will put all 100 through it because I am also taking my Ruger P90, .45 ACP and 100 rounds of FMJ. 50 Wolf and 50 Blazer Brass.

My KT came in the plastic box and I swear I have had watches that came in bigger boxes. 1 mag in the box. I added the KT extension, mostly because it gives me a little more grip length.. Neither of my gun shops had spare mags in stock. I'll check the shop at the range tomorrow.

I have noticed that my old and arthritic hands have bit of trouble with the slide. A squirt of Break-Free helped and Mechanix Wear gloves seem to provide better grip on that tiny little thing. Can't wait to get my permit and put this little jewel in my pocket.

13. number9

number9 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    I thought the Kel-tec and Magtech ammo = BOOM!!!!! (gun failure)

14. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    No, that's MagSAFE, not MagTECH.

15. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I have never had a problem with the ammo. Shoots well.

Bo Bryant

16. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    The Magtech is what the dealer recommended.

Or maybe it was all he had left.

17. tweed

tweed New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    from magsafes site

http://www.magsafeonline.com/prices_specs.jsp

.380 ACP *NOTE: Do not use in Kel-tec P-3AT. #380D Defender 60 1,500/300 - SIG 230; 1,360/246 -AMT Backup DAO 20.95 Potent defense load  

.380 ACP *NOTE: Do not use in Kel-tec P-3AT. #380 MAX + P + 52 1,720/342 - SIG P-230; 1,620/303 - Colt Mustang 20.95 Not for Davis or Grendal P-10

18. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Welcome to the forum. P3AT come with a trigger lock and one mag. I use Speer Gold Dot in my P3AT and in my XD40.

19. Copied from the Mag Safe web page:

#380 MAX + P +

Sorry- But there is no SAAMI specs for any thing called [highlight]380 MAX +p+[/highlight].

IMHO- Any ammo maker that puts out such BS is either puroposely misleading the public and / or manufacturing a load that is beyond industry acceptable standards.

If companies want to go "OFF CHART" and develope a new and improved HOT load for the increasingly popular .380 round, why don't they just step up and get SAAMI to rate it- or at least be honest with the public about what they are selling?

20. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    As Sangueffusor said, MagTECH is OK -- MagSAFE is not. Many of our members have used Magtech with little or no problem. Some prefer it as their "defense" and/or "range" ammo.

My personal opinion is that Magtech FMJ is fine for range or defensive use if you want a non-expandable round for defense. Magtech JHP did not expand well in most tests -- not too good for defensive purposes if you want an expandable round.

Bobo