Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new p-3at, took it to the range to break it in. Gun jammed (FTF/FTE) 3 times out of  first 6 shots using Fed Hydrashock JHP. I started using Winchester FMJ target ammo and gun performed a little better only jamming 5 out of about 100 shots, then attempeted to use another brand JHP (Hornady) and still had FTF/FTE problems can someone give me some ideas as to what JHP round I could try????? or is something wrong with the gun??

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
The first few round (200 or so) will be to smooth out the rough edges and "break in"  so it really doesn't matter for them.  after it geats better, then you can find out the best load for you

The BIG thing is CLEAN, LUBE, then shoot. shoot no more than 50 rounds then clean and dress any battered edges like on the rails opposite the ejector.

I would definately clean the inside of the magazine and besure the extractor screw is tight , but the extractor is clean enough to slide back and forth a little bit (.020")

Hope things get better soon and your Chirstmas was Merry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don't give up!. First, try the fluff and buff that has been talked about at length in this forum. Try polishing the feed ramp and just inside the barrell. This should help the extraction problem. Polish to a shiny finish. Also, try gold dots. They have been 100% in mine since doing this. Mine will even cycle the WWB flat nose ammo from Wal Mart until dirty (50 rounds or so). However, I can load it back up with gold dots and have zero ftf/fte. I continue working on this little thing so it will be 100% on any ammo. Have a way to go, but making progress. It is hard to beat the size/weight for pocket carry! Please re-post and let us know if this works for you.
8)

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
These are some possible causes of Kel-Tec P-3AT malfunctions and their fixes in order of potential cause.

Failure To Feed (FTFe).

1. Dirty or Rough Chamber and/or Feed Ramp and/or Hood - Clean them and/or polish them.
2. Something obstructing the forward movement of the slide (dirt, burrs) - Clean, de-burr, lube.
3. Non-compatible ammo - Try other brands.
4. Bad recoil springs - Replace them.
5. Dirty Magazine - Clean it.
6. Bad Magazine Spring - Replace it.
7. Bad Magazine Follower - Replace it.
8. Bad Magazine Tube - Replace it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Failure To Fire (FTFi).

1. Failure to allow the trigger to fully reset - Allow the trigger to move fully forward after each shot.
2. Bad Ammo (commonly hard primers) - Try other brands.
3. Poor Lubrication - Lube it.
4. Firing Pin Spring Too Long - Replace it. (Only on older guns. New guns come with shorter springs.).
5. Firing Pin Jammed - This can happen if the extractor bolt loosens, and while loose, the firing pin turns (the extractor bolt also retains the firing pin). When the bolt is re-tightened it can jam the firing pin because the bolt is not in the retaining slot of the firing pin. (The bolt must have loosened a lot for this to happen and you would probably have had a lot of FTEx's first).
6. Weak or Broken Hammer Spring - Replace it.
7. Dirty Firing Pin Channel - Clean it.

Failure To Extract (FTEx).

1. Loose Extractor Spring Screw (2G) - Tighten it.
2. Dirty Extractor - Clean it.
3. Dirty or Rough Chamber - Clean it and/or polish it.
4. Non-compatible ammo - Try other brands.
5. Bad Extractor - Replace it.
6. Poor Slide Lube - Lube it.

Failure To Eject (FTEj).

1. Loose Extractor Spring Screw (2G) - Tighten it.
2. Bad Extractor - Replace it.
3. Dirty or Rough Chamber - Clean it and/or polish it
4. Non-compatible ammo - Try other brands.
5. Limp-wristing - Lock your wrist
6. Bad or Missing Ejector - Replace it.
7. Poor Slide Lube - Lube it.
8. Dirty Magazine - Clean it.
9. Bad Magazine Spring - Replace it.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Re: New P3-AT owner  ...JHP FTF/FTE problems

It is very ease to limp wrist these light little guns. Try this:

It is nearly impossible to limp wrist this gun from a very firm, push-pull grip:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.
2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.
3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.
4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.
5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

Single hand grip:

1. Line up on target.
2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.
This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you are using one of these grips, and you get malfunctions, it is NOT limp wristing, but the gun that is causing them.

Packer.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
My first trip out was similar to your's.

I now have about 300 rounds through it. The past two times out I had no issues

I just got back from the range today and it was perfect.
12 Magtech's and 50 Win from Wally world.
18 of the Win's were fired by 3 other shooters.

All I did was Clean lube and shoot.

I now have 100% confidence in mine.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
These ultra-sub-compact, ultra-light guns are very diferent that shooting a chunk of iron. Sometimes both the gun and the shooter must be broken in. Try the suggestions offered and get back to us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.