Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new P17 owner, picked up a tan model. Really love this gun. Fun to shoot and very accurate. The only thing I've encountered is some bulk ammo doesn't cycle the slide after firing. I'm going through and compiling a list of the ammo that seems to run well through it and I will supply that soon as I document different factory brands and loads.

Safe shooting!

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
You may find that your P17 is less of a fussy eater after an extended break-in period. My SU-22 would jam on every single Remington Golden Bullet but after 10,000 rounds it ate them without complaint.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As with most semi-autos, lubrication can be your friend. I've not had a problem with mine with any kind of ammo. I do keep the rails pretty wet. It's a 1911 habit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm a new P17 owner, picked up a tan model. Really love this gun. Fun to shoot and very accurate. The only thing I've encountered is some bulk ammo doesn't cycle the slide after firing. I'm going through and compiling a list of the ammo that seems to run well through it and I will supply that soon as I document different factory brands and loads.

Safe shooting!
Where did you find it?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Perhaps your lgs has a website in which, oh I don't know, maybe a person that is not in Alabama could order one shipped?

Good God man, why so mysterious?!

·
Registered
96 Posts
The P17 originally sold for less than suggested retail ($199). I doubt the Kel Tec cost has went up. Think of the gross profit margin. At this point the market is showing that $200 is too low. Glad to have one before the "adjustment".
Trigw

·
Registered
93 Posts
The P17 originally sold for less than suggested retail ($199). I doubt the Kel Tec cost has went up. Think of the gross profit margin. At this point the market is showing that $200 is too low. Glad to have one before the "adjustment".
Trigw
Kel-Tec is still quoting MSRP as $199. However, with inflation being what it is, I don't think you can say that it's unlikely that Kel-Tec's costs haven't gone up. If that's the case, they would be unique in this country.

Reactions: tzcomp

·
Registered
96 Posts
Raw materials costs have certainly went up. However, speaking from experience, production efficiency improvements (i.e. learning curve) and higher volumes may keep the overall product cost stable. Kel Tec costs may have increased somewhat but not at the rate for the selling price of the product in the market. The cost vs average selling price (ASP) most certainly has widened. Kel Tec is still showing MSRP: $199 on their website. We'll see what happens in the future.

:)

Trigw

Kel-Tec is still quoting MSRP as $199. However, with inflation being what it is, I don't think you can say that it's unlikely that Kel-Tec's costs haven't gone up. If that's the case, they would be unique in this country.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Raw materials costs have certainly went up. However, speaking from experience, production efficiency improvements (i.e. learning curve) and higher volumes may keep the overall product cost stable. Kel Tec costs may have increased somewhat but not at the rate for the selling price of the product in the market. The cost vs average selling price (ASP) most certainly has widened. Kel Tec is still showing MSRP: $199 on their website. We'll see what happens in the future.

:)

Trigw
It's not Kel-Tec that's raping the public right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
kel-tec not raping the public. The reason is they are not making the gun because they would rather make Other guns that they make more money on. MD

·
Registered
741 Posts
kel-tec not raping the public. The reason is they are not making the gun because they would rather make Other guns that they make more money on. MD
They are making the firearm. I have seen three in local gun stores over the last four months. There are 65,000 lgs's in the US. I do have the dubious benefit of being retired so I can visit four or five gun stores a week, but they are being distributed. Just not in large enough numbers as to be a stock item right now.

·
Administrator
32,148 Posts
Guns in general have been flying off the shelves. It's the same with ammo. It is supply and demand, nothing more. KT cannot suddenly drastically increase their production and covid hasn't helped the labor situation. This too shall pass.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree with all of the above.
FYI I'm a plastic molder and from March to July have not been able to buy certain plastics that I use because of backed up orders from covid shutting stuff down, people not working or sent home for safety reasons, shortage of shipping truck drivers , backing up raw material availability ,etc, etc.
I use to pay $2.25 a lb a year ago, now I pay $4.35 a lb.
This is characteristic of EVERYTHING being made and is a world wide problem.
Another local company that molds plastic parts had to temporarily stop making some of their products because they couldn't get material either.
Expect to see everything go up in price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just bought 3 for $199ea at K-Var, Grab a gun was $349, Guns .com $434. The highest price sold out 1st, Grab a gun 2nd & K-Var had them over 2 days. K-Var has RDBs for $889, no tax, I just order another.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts