Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long period of talking myself into it I picked up a P17 yesterday. I really like the pistol and am looking forward to using it, but the thing absolutely refuses to feed from the magazines regardless of what ammo I am using. Being familiar with other KelTec guns, at first I assumed it was burrs or something on the feed ramp, so I gave it a good clean and a bit of a polish. That didn't do the trick.

Upon further examination, it appears that the recoil spring doesn't have enough strength to strip rounds out of the magazine when it's more than half loaded, the rounds never get anywhere near the feed ramp. When a stoppage occurs, all that's required to resume normal function for a single shot is some pressure on the back of the slide until the round clears the mag, after which everything works perfectly. All three of my mags are like this.

I put probably 100 rounds through a single mag before my frustration grew to the point that I stopped, and after lubing the mags I spent about an hour loading and unloading the top 5 rounds in one of them. It's better, but still not right. I loaded all three and left them that way to see if that would help, but I'm not confident. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Do I need to just send the mags back? Is the recoil spring defective, and therefore too weak? Would love to solve the problem instead of returning the gun and getting a Sig P322, I would rather support KT than Sig and I have other things to spend that extra $300 on...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Make sure you are loading the ammo in the magazines properly. Rim lock is a common problem for first time shooters of the double stack magazines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can verify that it is definitely not rim lock, I have lots of experience with rimmed cartridges. They actually designed the mags in such a way that it would be pretty hard to make that happen anyway though.

Called KT today and they immediately offered to send me a label to ship the gun to them. We'll see what they say when it gets there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad to hear they're responsive! It's unfortunate when a problem occurs but I'm hoping they'll make it right for you! I have two P17s and they're good shooters. Yours will be soon!

·
Registered
16 Posts
After a long period of talking myself into it I picked up a P17 yesterday. I really like the pistol and am looking forward to using it, but the thing absolutely refuses to feed from the magazines regardless of what ammo I am using. Being familiar with other KelTec guns, at first I assumed it was burrs or something on the feed ramp, so I gave it a good clean and a bit of a polish. That didn't do the trick.

Upon further examination, it appears that the recoil spring doesn't have enough strength to strip rounds out of the magazine when it's more than half loaded, the rounds never get anywhere near the feed ramp. When a stoppage occurs, all that's required to resume normal function for a single shot is some pressure on the back of the slide until the round clears the mag, after which everything works perfectly. All three of my mags are like this.

I put probably 100 rounds through a single mag before my frustration grew to the point that I stopped, and after lubing the mags I spent about an hour loading and unloading the top 5 rounds in one of them. It's better, but still not right. I loaded all three and left them that way to see if that would help, but I'm not confident. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Do I need to just send the mags back? Is the recoil spring defective, and therefore too weak? Would love to solve the problem instead of returning the gun and getting a Sig P322, I would rather support KT than Sig and I have other things to spend that extra $300 on...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I sent off my brand new P 17 to Kel Tec yesterday afternoon. Mine, like yours, would NOT FEED a single round right out of the box. I did observe that if I removed the magazine, the slide would, sometimes, have enough strength to push the one stuck round into the chamber, then I could fire off one round.. I never did get mine to feed anything into the chamber no matter if the magazine was full or it had less than 5 rounds in it. I tried two different brands of 22lr high velocity rounds. Something is seriously wrong with the current batch of P 17's it seems to me. Cool pistol but....................no fun at all the way it arrived.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to verify...if you insert a loaded mag and then pull the slide ALL of the way to the rear and release, it fails to feed a cartridge?

Or is this failure to feed only occuring when firing?

If failures only occur when firing, are you using high (not standard) velocity 40gr+ ammo?
Yep, pulling the slide ALLLL the way back, as far as it will go, not using the slide release. Failure occurs any time the pistol is supposed to strip a round from the mag if the mag is more than half loaded, doesn't matter if it's the first shot of the mag or the fifth, when manually cycling or when firing.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I have a Kel Tec P-17 I have found it to be very dependable and reliable with no problems or malfunctions or failure in 500 rounds of CCI 40 grain Velociter Hp ammo. Put a call through so they can fix whatever is wrong

·
Registered
16 Posts
I received my CP33 back today after complete re-build but still nothing on my P 17 and they have had it longer than they had the CP 33. I guess I need to call them to get an update.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts