Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Administrator
32,265 Posts
Probably not required but certainly won`t hurt and could help. True of most firearms, no?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can not understand anyone receiving a new firearm and not at least disassembling it to inspect for damage, clean and lube it. Personally I do a down to the bare bones disassemble, clean, sand any rough spots and polish all internals. Now with the P17....I will probably just do the clean and lube, remove the slide and polish the slide sides and bottom. Polish the trunion, the rail guides, clean and polish the ejector and firing pin, clean out the channel and sand the half moon area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
And the other side of the picture is….
Field strip it, inspect it. Look for any gobs of shipping grease and whatnot and clean them out. Add a bit of the lube of your choice on reassembly and go shooting - using a good quality ammo. Many of those edges that “ need polishing” will polish themselves with shooting. Good quality handguns should shoot/operate just fine straight out of the box. IF, and, in most cases that’s likely a big if, you encounter problems you can look to address them when they occur.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am actually a real owner today of a P17. Finally got the call to pick it up at local Rural King today. Hardest part of disassembly was removing the two screws holding the slide cover on. Keltec must have taken the complaints they would come lose at the range to heart and tightened those things where it nearly needed a circus strong man, a boy scout troop and Seal Team One to get them out. Was impressed how little gunk and goop it had from the factory. Did some sanding and polishing the slide(underneath and sides) rails, hammer and trunnion. I was surprised to find CCI Mini Mags at Walmart today...bought two 100 packs for range time tomorrow. The weight of the P17 is next to nothing....would never think any firearm could weigh that little. I loaded 15 rds in the mag...not excruciating, but a mag loaded might not be a bad idea. After dinner I might also drill some witness holes in a couple of the mags...I saw that and liked the idea of doing it.
Just hope range time will not be a disappointment tomorrow...Stay tuned for the rest of the story!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Walmart closest to my home here in Reno has CCI Std Velocity @ $4.83 per 50 pack. They've routinely carried it for the past 2 months. I bought a mag loader today (Taylor Tactical) online. I loaded the 3 mags by hand and that certainly is a chore. Hoping the std velocity runs well because I read in the manual to use high velocity. We'll see,

·
Registered
95 Posts
Std velocity will probably be fine for range ammo...expect a few malfs.

CCI Mini-Mag has proven extraordinarily reliable in both of my P17's.

The Walmart closest to my home here in Reno has CCI Std Velocity @ $4.83 per 50 pack. They've routinely carried it for the past 2 months. I bought a mag loader today (Taylor Tactical) online. I loaded the 3 mags by hand and that certainly is a chore. Hoping the std velocity runs well because I read in the manual to use high velocity. We'll see,

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have some Golden Bullets and some Aguila Super Extra I am also going to try. My CZ P07 Kadet .22 conversion will eat anything, so I am a little spoiled with zero malfunctions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had 2 issues at the beginning, both cleared up after breaking in the P17 :
Safety very hard to engage, both P17's. Now easy thumb, on-off both sides.
On only one, the Slide was sticking half closed when magazines were fully loaded (16) for first 2 or 3 rounds, then all ok for the rest. Tap on slide or bottom of mag, would close and load the round. This cleared up as it broke-in.
Now I usually only load 15.

I did have an ejector sticking problem after about 1K rounds, caused by dirt and a burr in the ejector slot. After disassembly, cleaning and a couple of swipes with a jewelers file, no more problems with over 2K rounds since.

I have not found any problems with any of the types of 22LR ammo I have used in my pair of P17's.

Here is a list of the ammo I have used: (at least 100 rounds of each)
CCI Standard velocity 40gr
CCI Mini Mag 40gr
CCI Mini Mag HP 36gr
Remington Thunderbolt 40gr
Remington Golden Bullet HP
Aquila Super Extra 40gr
Aquila Super Extra HP 38gr
Armscor Standard Velocity 40gr

All above, no problems

Winchester 36gr HP white box bulk 333, maybe 1 in 50 failure to fire, good firing pin strike, reloaded and every one fired on second try. OK for cheap plinking.

Walmart in Oregon does not carry ammo any more.

Highly recommend Raggedyedge's Hammer blocks for dry firing and extra measure of safety.

What a fun and reliable pistol.

BE SAFE

1 - 20 of 37 Posts