Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new P-3AT today.

I've carried a P-32 for 3 1/2 years now, and have loved it. I tried to upgrade to a P-3AT about 3 years ago when it first came out but was too impatient and rash and got rid of it because of the recoil.

Now I've decided to try again.

I did not know how to shoot properly back then, so I'm hoping proper technique will make the recoil managable this time. Back then I was brand new to pistols and had no idea what I was doing, but now I've shot enough to know how to grip the gun properly. If, even after using the proper grip, recoil is still a problem, maybe mods like a finger extension, hogue grips, and possibly a wolf recoil spring will do the trick.

I'm also hoping that my new 2nd gen .380 will be more reliable than some of the earliest first generation guns were. It seemed like every round out of my first P-3AT was a fail to eject. I assumed that it was from limp-wristing but I am not really sure. *If* it was due to the gun, this newer model will hopefully have less potential for malfunctions. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Worst case scenario, I can send it on a Florida vacation if I have to.

I'm determined to make this gun work for me this time!

Packer's wetpack tests sold me on .380 instead of .32 and on the DPX round. I would feel a lot more confortable packing .380 DPX instead of .32 Silvertips.

Plus the fact that it's just cool to have both the .32 and the .380.

I plan to put 100 rounds through it this Friday. I hope all goes well. But if it doesn't, I'll stick it out this time!

·
Premium Member
1,260 Posts
Try her again!
Mine is 2nd generation and so far have never had a failure since new out of box.
Does have a kick, on both ends, HA HA. ;D ;D
Once I got used too hanging on, just gets better and better.
::)the more P-3AT the better. :D

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I really like the KT +1 mag extension. If you want an extra magazine as most do I suggest that you order it from Kel-Tec with a +1 extension installed. When you get it bevel the rear of the magazine well so your new magazine slides in easier and your good to go.

I'm not big on the practicality of high stress reloads for these little guns so the one extra round in the gun appeals to me. Since you have a good P32 I also suggest that it may serve as a BUG for your P3AT available to your weak hand. Since most attacks are very close range affairs you may not be able to retain your AT and you may also find your strong hand injured or otherwise occupied. Better safe than sorry.

G

·
rufus, if you recentlyh bought a new 380 kt in the last 6 months, u should have a good to go out of the box weapon. All upgrades are in those models, and they all seem to work "great". You will like the 380. If recoil is to much-- port it, 13# sprng it and you have a new 22 recoil to shoot...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have another question, if you guys don't mind...

Is there a single place online that I can buy Houge Handall Jr. grips, Wolf recoil springs, and Bersa finger extensions, so I don't have to pay shipping for three different places?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fatman said:
[...] Since you have a good P32 I also suggest that it may serve as a BUG for your P3AT available to your weak hand. Since most attacks are very close range affairs you may not be able to retain your AT and you may also find your strong hand injured or otherwise occupied. Better safe than sorry.
Sound advice, but I'll take it a step further:

When I get my PF-9 the P-3AT will be the backup to it.
8)

G

·
Rufus Wallaby said:
Jocko, mine has a serial number starting in "HX"

Is that one of the newest ones?

Also, how much does the #13 spring reduce recoil?
yes u have a late model one, should be good to go. I would still do the F & B to the feed ramp and inside the chamber, smooth as glass is what u are after. The best way I can tell you about the 13# wolff springs is to go out and shoot the factory spings and notice where the brass (if u can find them) lands, The put in the 13# springs and see where the brass lands. It will be much much closer. percent of recoil difference, can't tell you that, but you will definitely (IMO) feel the difference in the recoil. I swear by them, many do, some are happy with factory springs-whatever floats ur boat. My feelings is the less recoil felt is also less banging on the weapon itself going in and out of battery. Just has to be kinder to the overall wear of the weapon. I have a 380 kt with 4300 flawless rounds through it and the frame looks great, just not showing any wear that I can detect, and I don't change the springs every 200 to 400 rounds either. actually can't remember when I changed springs, course my 380 is also ported to so what a dream gun that is to shoot. I just got my other 380 back from kt yesterday and I put a 100 flawless rounds through it today with cci brass ammo, after doing the F& B to it and lubing it. I have not cleaned it and don't intenbd to until it jams up on me. I do intend to shoot it without cleaning just to see for myself. My personal carry 380 kt is cleaned every session. I won't carry a dirty weapon, but this 380 that I just got back from kt is my play gun-more less. I wil let u know when it malfunctions because of dirtness.

G

·
Rufus Wallaby said:
Jocko,

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get the new springs and try it for myself.

rufus. NOrmally when wolffs ships the recoil springs they also include an extra strenght firing pin spring. Don't use it, it is outdated. Kt has been putting in shorter firing pin springs. So just set it back for you can if ever need be cut off about 4 coils and use it, but probably never will be necessary. IMO u will like the recoil springs..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Success!

Finally got a chance to shoot it!

I was pleasantly surprised that the recoil wasn't that bad. I shot it two handed, one handed, fired slowly, fired fast. I even tried to intentionaly limp wrist it -- fired a few shots with my elbow bent and my wrist loose. Still no problems.

I tried it with a slip on grip and without, and it worked just fine for me either way. I never even bothered to try the finger extension, as I didn't need it.

I shot the P32 along side it to compare. The 380 certainly packs more punch! It feels quite powerful by contrast. I love it.

100 rounds of CCI Blazer. Not a single failure.

I am very pleased.

Now to put a couple hundred more rounds of FMJ through it to makes sure it's good to go, and to test my carry ammo for reliability (DPX).

So what happened three years ago with the other P3AT? I guess the gun just had problems, and I assumed I was limp wristing. I should have sent it to Florida to have it checked out instead of selling it. Oh well, who cares? I have a new P3AT now and I love it!

After 3.5 years of carrying a 32, I'm switching to a 380. Sweet!
8)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
150+ more rounds without a single failure. Even shot it one handed with my LEFT hand (I'm right handed) with no problems. Limp wristing was definitely a red herring three years ago with my first P3AT.

Used Fiocchi FMJ and Blazer FMJ.

Shot some DPX through it, too. Only had seven rounds of it with me, so that's all I shot. But it all performed perfectly.

Here's one I shot through some water jugs (click on picture to see larger image):

It penetrated two jugs and expanded to about .66 caliber.

I now trust this gun and will carry it at all times!
8)

G

·
rufus, that dpx expansion is just beautful to look at. Consistency is the thing with the dpx. Every rounds seems to look the same. Corbon IMO even made the 380 even more of a desirable ccw..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.