New P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jonesr, Jul 24, 2008.

1. jonesr

jonesr New Member

Jul 24, 2008
    I picked up my first (brand new) P-3AT yesterday and went straight to the range. I was pleasantly surprised that having put 12 rounds each of 95gr FMJ Winchester White Box, Federal American Eagle, Magtech, Aguila and Fiocchi thru it I had only one failure to eject. The FTE occurred with the Fiocchi and that was after about 40 rounds fired (the gun was pretty hot by then). My only negative issue is that the inside of the trigger guard was cutting my trigger finger knuckle and I have since found the the reason for that - a tiny molding ridge that can be removed. This will be my carry gun and I am wondering what everyone is using as their "defensive" ammunition in the P-3AT?

2. sneech

sneech New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Golden Saber. I read several ballistic test threads on here and liked the results of the GS. My P3AT doesn't have a problem with them either.

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Corbon DPX seems to be the favorite of a small majority with GS being a close runner up. Some people like to interleave HPs with FMJs and some people feel that any HP is too risky due to lack of penetration in the .380. LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of info (and debates) on that here so spend some time looking around and shoot what you are comfortable with and shoots reliably in your weapon.

-Scott

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Jonesr,

Welcome to KTOG! The best for you and your new P3AT.

Federal Hydra Shok, then Corbon DPX and now Remington Golden Saber have been/are my non-Winter SD ammo. Winter time I've been carrying reloads that my brother does for me; they're a 100 grain, hard cast, truncated cone bullet. Don't remember what the powder load.

Take care...

5. twyacht

twyacht New Member

May 19, 2008
    Welcome jonesr, I had to lightly sand the ridge between the trigger guard, took 10 minutes with 400 grit. I have big fingers, no problem since,..but Golden Sabers, Cor-Bon DPX, Speer Gold Dots, work for carry, IMHO.

Grip extensions can also be helpful, plus the +1.

6. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Welcome.

Corbon DPX is VERY popular however I carry Remington Golden Sabres. Adamsesq is correct. Alot of info on this subject :)

I used to carry American Eagle FMJ but now believe that the GS are a great balance between penetration and expansion where the DPX is more about expansion. You can't go wrong using either.

Whatever you choose, put a couple of boxes through it to make sure it feeds well.

7. Welcome to KTOG jonesr.

I hope you wait until a 200 round + trouble free break in period for your 3AT before you carry it.

And be sure to run a box or two of your carry ammo as well.

I like the Cor-Bon DPX. It was developed for the 3AT... and many test, inluding my own water jug test, show excellent expansion of the round out of the 3AT.

8. CCWMan

CCWMan New Member

Aug 5, 2005
    Welcome to the forum!

I got a great deal on 250 rounds of Gold Dots from ammunitiontogo.com. Hopefully they'll cycle reliably through my P3-AT. I'll let you know in a later range report.